New owner: A4 Avant S Line - tips n tricks?

popes996

Reaction score
Hi there!

Just bought a 2006 A4 Avant and would like to know if there are any things I can do to it to enhance the drive, add functionality etc. I am a Porsche tech by trade and can have access to a mate's diagnostic tester and intend to add cruise control to the car ASAP but is there anything codable or programmable on the car?
I'd like to add ipod connectivity - looking around the forum it would seem a Dension gw 300 is the way to go; correct?

Car has RNSE, Bose, Nav Plus inc. BT phone anything else worth going for?

I'm hopefully about to buy an A4 avant so will keep my beady eye on this thread :)

Sorry to jump in on this - but the ipod compatibility is something i've been considering for my car also. I'm just wondering how these work - in terms of sound output. Does the device need to be in 'ipod' mode so to speak to output sound? Or do the speakers just output all the normal sounds your ipod / phone would normally make?

Basically, where i'm going with this is........ what would happen if I plugged in my iPad, or I guess also my iPhone, and for example loaded up a youtube video? Would this still work through the speakers??

With regard to the Denison unit - it looks a bit pricy to me? Someone posted a link to a similar product in another thread further down the page (see this thread - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/182715-standard-stereo-aux.html - the link in it isnt for the ipod device, but they do offer one if you look about their site) which, even when adding in bluetooth was a fair bit cheaper than then Denison one.

Whether there are glaring differences in quality mind you, I cant comment on....

I had an ampire Freeview + tuner on my old rnse, which also gave me two av lines in. Once I had sussed the SD cards though, that was easier than bothering with a phone or anything else. See the ICE threads for that, pm me if you can't find the RNSe tips and tricks.

Rs4 rarb is a great mod!

I found it easier to replace the entire head unit - As much as the RNS-E is a nice touch, i got myself a Kenwood DNX-5210BT unit, does everything nicely :) I would get an RS4 ARB if you really love throwing the kids/wife around in the car around roundabouts, otherwise its utterly pointless. Also, if its a Quattro, it won't go sideways well. I found this out last week.

Wife and kids love going around corners sideways, well my son does. Wife and daughter not so much.

Quattro should be able to do nicely controlled power oversteer on 'greasy' or snow covered roads, if you turn ESP off.

The main features that I wanted on the RNSe was to be able to invoke the voice navigation and voice dialing from the steering wheel and to be able to use the incoming call details and navigation on the DIS rather than down next to my knee, especially once you have Freeview and the media player. I found some units that would allow some of the functionality for the steering controls (volume), but none of the DIS integration.

Last edited:
Wife and kids love going around corners sideways, well my son does. Wife and daughter not so much.

Quattro should be able to do nicely controlled power oversteer on 'greasy' or snow covered roads, if you turn ESP off.

The main features that I wanted on the RNSe was to be able to invoke the voice navigation and voice dialing from the steering wheel and to be able to use the incoming call details and navigation on the DIS rather than down next to my knee, especially once you have Freeview and the media player. I found some units that would allow some of the functionality for the steering controls (volume), but none of the DIS integration.

ESP off, into roundabouts around 70mph and kick the back out with lift off/flick and it understeers, even with the RS4 ARB its only neutral. You REALLY have to fight to get the back out on these things.