Badger5Monster Motorsport
    1st Gear

Status

Drivers window wont work!! Argghhh

Its frosty here this morning and upon trying to lower my drivers side window I heard a crack/snapping noise. When I press the button I can hear the motor but the window won't work.
    If anyone can shed some light I'd be most appreciated.
    TIA
    A4 B7 2.0T FSI S-LINE Akoya Silver, Xenon plus pack, RS 6's, MFSW, Dension, Auto dimming mirror, Light/Rain sensor, Bose, Isofix, Split folding seats, Rear side blinds, Rear window blind, Centre armrest, Auto boot Lid, Cargo parcel net/hooks,Loadliner & Votex Rear Diffuser. Tyres: presently running Vredenstein Sessanta's: SUPERB!

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status

I'd say the cable has snapped mate.

I just fixed my passenger side, £50 for the gear and about 3 hours work.

Quite a daunting job, but it's not as bad as it looks if you hit it methodically.

I would advise not to get the repair kit, instead go for the full kit with runners.

Best way to find out what's going on is to take the door card off.

Dan

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Dan. What PITA it is. I've just looked at a video You Tube!
    Have I got to take the whole door apart and do I need to replace the regulator too?
    Cheers
    A4 B7 2.0T FSI S-LINE Akoya Silver, Xenon plus pack, RS 6's, MFSW, Dension, Auto dimming mirror, Light/Rain sensor, Bose, Isofix, Split folding seats, Rear side blinds, Rear window blind, Centre armrest, Auto boot Lid, Cargo parcel net/hooks,Loadliner & Votex Rear Diffuser. Tyres: presently running Vredenstein Sessanta's: SUPERB!

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Probably due to the glass being iced to the rubber & probably weak already from years of usage, do as suggested fella.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

2nd Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by wyliss View Post
    Thanks Dan. What PITA it is. I've just looked at a video You Tube!
    Have I got to take the whole door apart and do I need to replace the regulator too?
    Cheers
    Like I say, it's not as bad as it looks mate.

Yes, you basically have to take the whole door apart, swap the mechanism and it should work fine.

The one I bought is here, but obviously you need the drivers side one: -

http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk/index...roducts_id=866

Drivers side is here -

http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk/index...roducts_id=865

Hope that helps.

Dan

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers boys. From watching the video the guy mentioned to mark where the old regulator went. Surely the bolt positions are the same?

2nd Gear

Status

I didn't mark anything to be honest, not even where the screws & bolts went because they are pretty much all different.

Happy to give advice if you get stuck, I only did it 2 weeks ago.

Dan

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers Dan, you're a good lad!
    I/ve always gone to TPS for my parts but the place you gave me the link to looks good.

1st Gear

Status
    I've just called TPS, £100 for the part!!!! Rip off. Veedub it is !
    Thanks Dan for your help and info, much appreciated.

2nd Gear

Status

I've just called TPS, £100 for the part!!!! Rip off. Veedub it is !
    Thanks Dan for your help and info, much appreciated.
    Yes, VDM was the best price I could find.

No problem mate, happy to help.

Dan

5th Gear

Status
    Do you need to do anything to seal the door again to stop water getting into the interior? Just curious.

1st Gear

Status
    I've just taken the door trim off and yes the cable has snapped!
    New part on order.
    Cheers guys for your help. Audi would have wanted well over £300 to fix.

2nd Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by scotty76 View Post
    Do you need to do anything to seal the door again to stop water getting into the interior? Just curious.
    Not quite sure what you mean mate.

The weather stripping all stays in place, apart from the top door seal that you need to peel back and re-install.

2nd Gear

Status

Wyliss, thank us when it's fixed.

Ha ha.

Good luck with it mate.

5th Gear

Status
    Damn! I have a spare cable here you could've had.
    Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks Nathan for the offer, very kind.
    I'm about to attempt this PITA job on Saturday. Is it correct that I must have the glass all the way down into the door before mech removal?
    TIA

2nd Gear

Status

Thanks Nathan for the offer, very kind.
    I'm about to attempt this PITA job on Saturday. Is it correct that I must have the glass all the way down into the door before mech removal?
    TIA
    I'm not sure if you "have to" but I got mine down for the job.

Got the wife to hold the button down and then just pulled the window down. Went down nice and easy.

Which part did you buy to fix, if it's the full kit I linked you to then I'll have a couple of tips for you.

Dan

1st Gear

Status

Hi Dan
    I purchased the full kit.
    Cheers buddy

2nd Gear

Status

Right, good.

First of all, the new cable clip that comes with the kit is too long. It's a plastic c-clip that keeps the cable away from the window by affixing it to the door frame. The one that comes with it is longer than the existing one and fouls the window.

I couldn't use the existing one as it was too large to keep the new cable in place. The new cable must be a smaller diameter than the old.

What I did was break off the existing one and scrap the new one. Neither are any good to you. I then drilled a small hole in the frame just below (5mm) the hole left by the existing clip and tie-wrapped it. It doesn't move when the window operates so can be tight as you like.

Secondly, the cable crossover on my new one was opposite to the crossover on the old one. This worried me as it looked like it would foul the window. In practice, it doesn't and it makes no difference so ignore this.

Lastly, when removing the mirror cables from their retaining clips, carefully cut the fabric tape - don't try and remove the retainers. When refitting just use 2 small cable ties on the existing clips, one either side as they are lipped.

The above will mean nothing to you at this point, but they will as you come across them during the job.

I'll PM you my number in a minute, drop me a text if you get stuck and I'll do my best to help. You may not need to as its actually fairly simple if you are methodical, but it saves a panic if you get stuck.

Dan

1st Gear

Status

Hi Dan
    Cheers buddy

2nd Gear

Status

Hi Dan
    Cheers buddy
    Yeah, I got that in your previous post. Lol

1st Gear

Status