What's that rumble sound?!?? :/

supanova

A3 2.0 TDI SE
Reaction score
Coleraine, Coleraine, United Kingdom, United Kingd
20t16dx.jpg

Heard a rumble sound when driving off and slowing down or going slow ie about 10-15 mph in the photo, a) is this the rubber bushing and b) should this have movement or should it stay solid and not move.

Cheers

Looks like a bottom arm bush.

It shouldn't have any play in it but it will move if forced as it's rubber, don't change just one do both sides if it is worn

You can upgrade to polyurethane.

That's bottom bush would make a knocking sound and the steering would feel a bit disconnected if it was badly warn.

So is this noise still there if you put the car into nuteral and free wheel, this is to check is its drive train related.

Are your tires Ok, my previous car an S2000 used to make and awful sound where there tires were worn/going off.

Jack the up and put your foot against the bottom of the wheel and pull the top of the wheel towards you see if there is any play.

Are your tires Ok, my previous car an S2000 used to make and awful sound where there tires were worn/going off.

That was my thought too. Our VW Jetta does this when the rear tyres are worn. Had it on previous cars too.

Brakepad fouling on the disc. That gave me a rumbling sound

Disnae sound like a bearing from my experience then. Could be something between your pads and disc ( gravel, gunk etc ) I have always been very reluctant to do this, however, I was recommended by my garage to give the brake/ discs a good, careful "blootering" with a pressure washer ever now and again on my Avant.

Good Luck and keep us posted

A

Last edited:
I always thought that a wheel bearing gave off a humming sound? Although I'm not very technical when it comes to cars mind you. the brakes do feel like they could be doing with a new set. ( a bit of travel when braking ). and the disc do look a bit worse for wear. If i jack the car up and push/pull the wheel to see if there is any play/movement, will this determine if its the wheel bearing?

Ye youd feel movement. If ur due some brakes its a good chance that is it. It did on my volvo at the rear but it sit it all the time. Changed disc and pads nice and quiet now apart from the drop links knocking their tits off lol

Wheel bearings can make a droning sound or a rumbling sound depending on how far they are gone. If it makes it more when steering one direction then it will be side dependant. Brakes will only make a rumbling sound if you have no pads left.