Horrible noise in engine bay

Danny-boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2005 B7 2.0T FWD.

Last Monday I started the car in the morning to a nasty noise from the front at idle. Sounded like a fan blade catching on something, frequency increased with revs and then disappeared after 5 mins driving.

Checked oil level and was at minimum so topped up. Noise didn't occur again.

This morning, same again. Oil level is fine.

Checked around including fan and all seems ok.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Sounds very similar to my issue just shortly after I bought my car last year. A terrible rattle... sounded like a cam chain was going to go or something was rattling off an engine casing...very intermittent pop, crackle metallic noise. I was running the car on 95 and was recommended to change to 98 only ( mostly Shell when possible ). Since then it never has come back and the car has been running perfectly ( almost )

Cheers
A

I had a very similar noise to this on mine about three years ago, but it also sounded like a kettle boiling at times. It kept coming and going but never when I had it into Audi to listen to (typical!).
It turned out to be the AirCon compressor, the bushes inside were collapsing (or something like that).
I ended up having the Compressor, belt, a load of washers changed and a re-gas costing me about £900 (but that was by Audi, so probably cheaper elsewhere).

I've got a video of it somewhere. I'll try and look for it, but it was 3 years ago:search:.

I've found it.... it kicks in about 11 secs into the video. Hope it works and I hope it helps.

IMG_0057_zps43526e38.mp4 Video by suckedin69 | Photobucket

Nice noise.... that must have kept you awake a few nights! :gaehn: That certainly wasn't what mine sounded like....It was literally like snap, crackle and pop metallic pinging noise from the top and back of the engine casing.....glad you got that sorted....bit pricey that for a compressor and gas refill...even for Audi standards!

Cheers
A

Sounds like a bearing. Get a long screwdriver, put one end to your ear and put the other end on various parts that you think it might be, alternator, aircon comp, belt tensioner etc. That will isolate it to the component that is making the noise.

Sounds like a bearing. Get a long screwdriver, put one end to your ear and put the other end on various parts that you think it might be, alternator, aircon comp, belt tensioner etc. That will isolate it to the component that is making the noise.

The blunt end, presumably? :laugh:

Nice noise.... that must have kept you awake a few nights! :gaehn: That certainly wasn't what mine sounded like....It was literally like snap, crackle and pop metallic pinging noise from the top and back of the engine casing.....glad you got that sorted....bit pricey that for a compressor and gas refill...even for Audi standards!

Cheers
A

No.... what kept me awake was the fact I had to sleep on the sofa because my wife was giving me grief about having to spend nearly £1000 on it!! :laugh::laugh:

This is still happening, but it is every morning now.

Have changed to Shell V-power to no avail.

Oil is bang on the max line.

No CEL or warning lights of any sort.

I don't think it could be a bearing as it only happens starting from cold, within 2 miles and a mildly warm engine it completely disappears.

It's beginning to do my head in now.

Sorry, must be doing your nut in.....keep running it on 98' though. Have you done quite a few miles since changing up to 98....I know it's an outside chance...Can you post a clip on YT to let us hear the sound the engine is making at least.

Cheers
A

Hi bud,

Only done about a quarter tank of 98 so far, I assumed that would have helped. Maybe it needs to run a bit more, got a half tank journey tomorrow so shall see.

I'm not sure i am up to posting a sound clip, but it sounds just like one of the radiator fans catching on something. Have checked, and obviously it's not.

I'm just confused how it goes away when warmed up, so it can't really be bearings or anything catching.

Aaaaarrrggghhhh.

Appreciate your help and advice though buddy.

Sounds a bit like mine did before i replaced the "Aux" (Fan) belt tensioner sits on the front of the engine fairly easy to diagnose u can push/pull it - not with the engine running! i took off the belt and span the pully by hand - rattle, chattle it went, they do go quiet when warm - unless totalled! if you spin by hand you should not be able to hear it.

18mm ring spanner is all you need to take pressure off to pull belt off.. simple to put back on too.

Biddyy.

Sounds a bit like mine did before i replaced the "Aux" (Fan) belt tensioner sits on the front of the engine fairly easy to diagnose u can push/pull it - not with the engine running! i took off the belt and span the pully by hand - rattle, chattle it went, they do go quiet when warm - unless totalled! if you spin by hand you should not be able to hear it.

18mm ring spanner is all you need to take pressure off to pull belt off.. simple to put back on too.

Biddyy.

Thanks bud, I'll put that on the list and give it a try.

would you know what the noise that keeps coming and going its like a ping ping ping metallic kind of sound. you can hear it most just before i shut the bonnet