LED Ambient Light Unit fitted

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I ordered this yesterday, and have just fitted it myself, using this guide.

Even for a fumbling sausage-fingered ****** like me, this was incredibly easy to do. The only thing different about mine compared with the guide is that mine had a telephone prep/bluetooth microphone attached to the light cover. The wire for this easily unclips from the light cluster, so I didn't have to drill the holes with the cover dangling from the roof!

Thanks to Tiffy for the idea, and to Bez for guidance.

I'll take a pic later, when it's dark, and show the effect.

Last edited:
Nice one Buddy....i need to get to the dealers to get mine ordered........I bet you cant wait till its dark so you can have a look...lol

Here's a pic. Sorry it's blurred, but it needed a long exposure.

P1000375_zps2e92e4b7.jpg

Hiya, Excuse my ignorance but can anyone explain what this actually does? Is it when you turn the side/head lights on there is an ambient light on all the time? And in your picture there is a red Led reflection in the bottom right hand corner of the gearbox is that it? Is the Led light red then?
Thanks RJ

Hiya, Excuse my ignorance but can anyone explain what this actually does? Is it when you turn the side/head lights on there is an ambient light on all the time? And in your picture there is a red Led reflection in the bottom right hand corner of the gearbox is that it? Is the Led light red then?
Thanks RJ

That's pretty much what it does, yes. It bathes the centre console in a red glow that the picture doesn't really do justice to.

Loved and missed this feature when I had it in my golf. Visit to dealer tomorrow me thinks!!!

Did u drill 5 or 7mm Jeff?

I drilled to 5mm, cos that was the biggest bit I have with my re-chargeable drill. I'm about to order some white LEDs from T8ups for my interior lights, so when i fit them, I'll get a bigger bit, and drill them holes out a wee bit further.

Looking good Jeff. I had this as standard with my car. Anybody on here done this on the rear map lights? Would love to see how it looks.

Azeem

Find terrorist balaclava and put on if you wish to jump out with a drill and scare your wife/girlfriend/mother.

:) Which did you go for Jeff?

Looking good. Nice job.

iv done a few rear lights
quite easy to do just need a bit of glue to set them in

im gona try to add them to the cab next week

you may have the clear plastic 1
you can pick these up for a tenner from the bay .

thats the 1 you need
i just found it for you aswell.

there is a guide for doing the fit knocking around
its not marked on the inside like the front ones
just get some hot glue and iv always used 5mm front and back.
just think it looks better than the 7mm,

Thanks for that. I'm not sure it's the right colour though. It's difficult to tell, but I think that might be too light.

im sure they only did grey and soul
for the roof parts

looking again it may be gray as its from thr b6
paint it

Looks quite good. I wonder what the effect is from the light at night. Also where are people getting the LEDs from or they just using any red ones? I have the same unit as pictured except in grey (wish I had black headlining). :3sadwalk:

I've just found a couple of threads on the B6 forum showing how to install the rear ambient lighting. There's no way in hell I woul be able to do that successfully; way beyond my very limited capabilities.

Thread One

Thread Two

Got these from my VAG dealer today and fitted in minutes. I'm quite surprised this sort of thing isn't standard, like a lot of BMW's.

I've just found a couple of threads on the B6 forum showing how to install the rear ambient lighting. There's no way in hell I woul be able to do that successfully; way beyond my very limited capabilities.

Thread One

Thread Two

Looks pretty straight forward to me. Gonna have a go this weekend if I can get hold of on of the LED modules from my local TPS in time.

UPDATE. I've just swapped out all of the bulbs from the interior roof lights, front and back, replacing them with white LEDs supplied by T8ups. I've also drilled out the ambient light holes another couple of mm.

I might have a go at making up a rear ambient light fitting some time, but for now, I'm content. Just need to wait for it to get dark again. :icon_thumright:

Mine arrived this morning, so I went out and fitted it. Only issue I had was that the screws that held the light unit in place needed a T20. And the green wire is very fiddly to fit, and I only had a 6mm bit.

Just a heads up for you guys about to fit yours.

fitted my lights today....easy to fit

Roll on the dark so i can see what my handywork is like