Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
    2nd Gear

Status

My plasti-dip adventures.

Well its happened... Im now addicted to plasti-dip!

It all started when then "milky" looking chrome strips started to annoy me. I tried to buff them but to no avail so it was time.

I placed an order for a couple of cans to start and see how i go, so far i love the stuff. I did make a couple tiny mistakes but im learning, Its soo hard as your natural rection with spray paint is to be careful around bodywork and not go over the edge, so sometimes not applying enough got me in trouble.

Ill let the pics do the talking.

This also cheered me up! Tasted yummy tooo

decided to do badge too

Must say i was not keen on going black, but afterwards im VERY happy with the result.

Next comes the chrome around windows... Maybe haha
    Tempted for wheels too after its lowered.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Avantee

Status
    Very nice mate, my adventure started today too. Not quite finished yet tho, should be done by tomorrow. Really impressed with the finish you can get..... Can see it being addictive. How did you find doing the badge? Peel off ok?

A4 Avant B7

LED Rear Lights - Mesh Grill - SLC Splittler - Ice White Fogs - Tints - Devil Eyes - Ambient lighting - LED interior

2nd Gear

Status
    hah, its mad how quick you learn to like it, almost scary!

What parts are you doing?

The badge was ok tbh, i didnt use the "pull in sharp angles" method to cut the paint, i just used a blade to trim around the gap to cut it. i was guna do the back but didnt get time, possibly tomorrow depending on weather.

Avantee

Status
    I'm doing my fogs!! I've got an SE bumper and wanted to change it up as change front grill... Ill get some pics up tomorrow. Still masked off at moment to hope it comes out ok...

A4 Avant B7

LED Rear Lights - Mesh Grill - SLC Splittler - Ice White Fogs - Tints - Devil Eyes - Ambient lighting - LED interior

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B7_FUR View Post
    I'm doing my fogs!! I've got an SE bumper and wanted to change it up as change front grill... Ill get some pics up tomorrow. Still masked off at moment to hope it comes out ok...
    This will be exciting to see. Defo get some pics up and link me to them!
    I dont want to go mad on the car (its happened before) but im liking the look and fancy something else done.
    Possibly roof seen as through it likes to peel off :o

Avantee

Status
    Just hope it turns out well!!....not because it can't be rectified... But don't want to have wasted money!!

A4 Avant B7

2nd Gear

Status
    Just hope it turns out well!!....not because it can't be rectified... But don't want to have wasted money!!
    yes, pretty expensive stuff, even though its cheaper than respray hah

5th Gear

Status
    Looking good.....am in a quandry between wrapping all the brushed alloy parts or plasti dippin them!....Still trying to figure out where the Haribo comes into it! Looking good and carry on with your adventures!
    Cheers
    A

I want your faulty electronics

Status
    You're doing your fog lights?
    The glass or do they have a chrome ring round them?

Quote Originally Posted by T3nnant View Post
    This will be exciting to see. Defo get some pics up and link me to them!
    I dont want to go mad on the car (its happened before) but im liking the look and fancy something else done.
    Possibly roof seen as through it likes to peel off :o
    Try not to use the spray cans on the roof, the finish can be streaky not look very good.
    If you got the option, get a spray gun and buy it in the litres. you get a better finish.

That reminds me, I need to peel my roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
    Looking good.....am in a quandry between wrapping all the brushed alloy parts or plasti dippin them!....Still trying to figure out where the Haribo comes into it! Looking good and carry on with your adventures!
    Cheers
    A
    Plasti dip would be easier to put on I think but it wont last as long as the wrap.
    A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    RIP Audrey. She's being broken down.
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

Avantee

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
    You're doing your fog lights?
    The glass or do they have a chrome ring round them?

the surrounds mate as they were colour coded and wanted them black

A4 Avant B7

Status
    the surrounds mate as they were colour coded and wanted them black
    Thought it was that but wanted to make sure. lol

A4 B5 Double Din, RNS-d, TMC, Full Sports Leather Heated with Leather Door Cards and Lower Door trims all for sale.

Audrey's Build Thread
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
    Cheers
    A
    Well the grill came out ok, few tiny bits im not happy about but came out great for first attempt.
    The window surrounds would be 10x harder in my opinion as you have to hit it from top, middle and bottom and as the wing mirrior is in the way im slightly stuck. Plus some corners will need to be cut i think as close to rubbers. (ill watch a few more videos)

The sweets were just in the boxes haha, kind custom i think
    Not complaining as soon as i found the first packet i rushed to open the second box

2nd Gear

Status
    Thought it was that but wanted to make sure. lol

Yea cans were just a trial, id have to get the proper stuff. Why are you peeling your roof?

2nd Gear

Status
    Nice job on the grill, so tempted to try this myself.

How many cans do you think you'd need to do the grill and window chromes?

Status
    Yea cans were just a trial, id have to get the proper stuff. Why are you peeling your roof?
    Been on for over a year now and fancy a change.
    It was only meant to be a short term test to see what happens but its kind of stuck there really.
    Its done very well, over 10k miles and it has not aged.
    Only issue is a couple of corners where people wanted to try and pick it and 1 stone chip mark in the middle. I think its a stone chip or it might be where I put something on the roof.
    The trouble with a plasti dipped roof is that it protects the paint, so you can put stuff on it with out worrying about scratching the paint.

Quote Originally Posted by ajax1976 View Post
    Nice job on the grill, so tempted to try this myself.

How many cans do you think you'd need to do the grill and window chromes?
    1 can should do it.
    I did my windows and wipers with 1 can.

Audrey's Build Thread
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

2nd Gear

Status

1 can should do it.
    I did my windows and wipers with 1 can.
    Excellent, Thanks mate

2nd Gear

Status

The window surrounds would be 10x harder in my opinion as you have to hit it from top, middle and bottom and as the wing mirrior is in the way im slightly stuck. Plus some corners will need to be cut i think as close to rubbers. (ill watch a few more videos)
    With the mirror, I'm planning on a Tesco bag over the mirror and extra masking around the bottom on the door. Looking at it, there should be enough room to spray from most angles.

Some corners will need to be cut close to the rubbers, but I'm thinking of spraying the rubber too - the dip will bond better on this and then there won't be an edge to allow peeling from the chrome.

On to the spraying angles - I agree with you on this one. I wrapped one side of mine with vinyl as a temp test, and it looks great. Until you look at the car from the upstairs window that is!!!! There is small amounts of visible chrome.

I think I'll be on a step ladder for a couple of spray-passes from above to make sure this doesn't happen when sprayed.

2nd Gear

Status
    I plasti dipped my chrome section of grill yesterday.........bit of a disaster and ended up peeling it off. Think i masked uo too tight and when i removed the masking, even though i trimmed round it with a scalpel it still peeled leaving the edges looking crap!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny-boy View Post
    With the mirror, I'm planning on a Tesco bag over the mirror and extra masking around the bottom on the door. Looking at it, there should be enough room to spray from most angles.

Some corners will need to be cut close to the rubbers, but I'm thinking of spraying the rubber too - the dip will bond better on this and then there won't be an edge to allow peeling from the chrome.

On to the spraying angles - I agree with you on this one. I wrapped one side of mine with vinyl as a temp test, and it looks great. Until you look at the car from the upstairs window that is!!!! There is small amounts of visible chrome.

I think I'll be on a step ladder for a couple of spray-passes from above to make sure this doesn't happen when sprayed.
    The only problem i see with painting over the rubber is that when it comes to peeling... you have hit the door,rubber and chrome in one, You peel off the door and the paint on the rubber will come with, same with the chrome.
    Almost need that gap to cut it. im very tempted to wrap it but as you say that has its problems too. Only way to see is to try it really, im thinking i might need to get another can first... but i dont really want to buy incase i muck it up and dont have the patients or skill to do it haha. Plus i dont wana run out on 1 side :S

2nd Gear

Status

Lol. My car has been black on one side for 6 weeks!!!!

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffy View Post
    I plasti dipped my chrome section of grill yesterday.........bit of a disaster and ended up peeling it off. Think i masked uo too tight and when i removed the masking, even though i trimmed round it with a scalpel it still peeled leaving the edges looking crap!
    Thats the thing, because its spray paint you feel un-natural painting onto the car haha. I left about 2cm around mine and it takes around 4-5 layers to get a decent clean rip.
    there is a guide on youtube from "dip you car" which shows how to repair small rips with thinners asnd re-applying paint which will come in handy.

But its a new product to everyone and its a case of practise makes perfect i guess.
    I think the rewards are very good when you get it right.

just keep trying, and watch a few more guides, build up confidence and go at it. worse that can happen is you peel it off.

On another note. i tried to paint the rear badge, didnt go to well sooo.....

Not sure i like so i might source a new badge and just spray it black hah

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny-boy View Post
    Lol. My car has been black on one side for 6 weeks!!!!
    dedication! haha

2nd Gear

Status

dedication! haha
    Lol.

I did it with electrical tape to see if I like it.

I have sprayed a few things with plasti-dip now, working my way up to the window chrome when we get good weather.

Status
    If you peel the excess dip off or tape when the dip is still a bit damp, it comes off cleaner than if you try and take the excess off when its fully dry.

The dip cuts most gaps well.
    When I did my rubbers, there was almost no gap between the car and door rubbers or which ever way it goes, I opened the doors when the dip was still slightly dry and it cut it really well, there was the odd section but a bit of thinners on the finger helped stick it back down.

This is when I did the pug, left about 2 inches between the bumper and the body work.

My window rubbers.

Audrey's Build Thread
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8

2nd Gear

Status
    Thats great scott!

you think i could just mask off around the silver bits and leave a gap of an inch on window and spray both the chrome and the rubbers?
    does it last well on the rubbers?

This would be much easier than trying to get it to cut off the rubber and just leave both.

Status
    Thats great scott!

you think i could just mask off around the silver bits and leave a gap of an inch on window and spray both the chrome and the rubbers?
    does it last well on the rubbers?

This would be much easier than trying to get it to cut off the rubber and just leave both.
    I think I did my rubbers back August and most are still looking good.

There is a couple of small issues, 1 being the windscreen rubbers but that's cause the wiper fell off its spin and decided to hang off like a old school indicator at 80 on the M4 and took some dip with it.
    The other part that I only noticed today is on the back, same section as in the video. There is a small hole that has expanded and its starting to peel off.
    I might remove the dip from that section and redo it at a later date.

Leave an inch or so gab, enough for you to grab to remove, then spray away.

Audrey's Build Thread
    New Car, New Thread.
    Scott's Akoya Silver A8