Hi Everyone! A4 Brake Issues and that rattle!

ricochet

Reaction score
First off, Hi to everyone! Just joined the forum and finding my way around.

Bought my first Audi this week - a 2006 A4 Avant Quattro 2.0TDi S-Line. Chuffed to bits with it, and the way it's been spec'd, but....

No. 1 - When I brake, particularly noticeable below 25mph, there's a knock that sounds like it's coming from the OSF wheel area. A couple of seconds after I release the brake (while still freewheeling), there's another knock. Same happens when I come to a halt - a knock as I brake, then just as I start to take up acceleration, another knock. This doesn't seem to affect the braking.

No. 2 - When I'm up to about 60mph and I use the brake, there is a judder through the steering wheel and through the brake pedal. Again, this doesn't seem to affect the braking, but does make my arms / right foot vibrate!

The discs / pads were replaced under a recall approx 6k miles ago - apparently after reports of the same symptoms.

No. 3 - Plasticky sounding creak / rattle from the boot area - AAARRRGGHH!!! Just annoying more than anything. Such a rock solid car, but ONE annoying creak / rattle. Anyone any idea what it could be, or heard of a common issue?

Appreciate any help you folks can offer

for the first 2 is sound like issues with the front brakes, if this was done under warranty then take it back to the dealer and get them to check it, as replacement parts have a 2 year warranty, but they may say brakes are a wear & tear so not covered.

My load cover used to creak, you could try and remove that. Another option would be to get someone drive while you sit in the back seats and see if you can find the creak.

Thanks for that. Looks like it was just the brake discs that were supplied under warranty, as they'd been replaced only 6k miles earlier.

I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem before - brake judder can be a pig to sort out, as there's so many different things that can cause it, from warped discs to faulty reluctor rings / abs sensors etc, and I thought you guys may know of a fault prevalent in A4's?

Thanks

No. 1 - When I brake, particularly noticeable below 25mph, there's a knock that sounds like it's coming from the OSF wheel area. A couple of seconds after I release the brake (while still freewheeling), there's another knock. Same happens when I come to a halt - a knock as I brake, then just as I start to take up acceleration, another knock. This doesn't seem to affect the braking.

Sounds like the pads are moving slightly in the pad carriers.

No. 2 - When I'm up to about 60mph and I use the brake, there is a judder through the steering wheel and through the brake pedal. Again, this doesn't seem to affect the braking, but does make my arms / right foot vibrate!

Could be all sorts of things. Hubs that have not been cleaned properly to ensure their perfectly clean and flat before fitting new discs might be one to look at seeing as you've said its already had discs.

Last edited:
Rattle turned out to be the latching bar for the passenger side of the rear seat upright - the bar that holds the seat in the upright position, which was slack. tightened it up and bingo - silence...apart from that brake noise!

Had the same problem with the front os brakes on mine. Genuine parts used but when the copper slip wears away the move slightly and knock. Solution, take the pads out, clean them and the carrier up, re apply copper slip, no knocking!

Cheers for that, though have had the pads out and there looks to be plenty of copper slip on the backs of the pads.

Have just been reading a VW forum thread for Passats that says they're well documented at having problems with loose sub frame bolts. Anyone have any experience of this?

Solution looks to be removing the stretch bolts, installing washers (that have gripper studs on them) between the sub frame and car body, then installing new stretch bolts and torquing them properly