Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
    GBP
    Reverse Gear

Status

A4 EGR valve and area looks very oily with rubber seal hanging out?

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum, so please bear with me as im not too techie with car and engine stuff.

I recently had the engine fault light come up and garage chap told me its the intake motor flap. the light has gone out and i've read on forums it may just be a fuse. i went looking for a fuse...

I spotted that my EGR valve are on my 2.0tdi (140ps) - it was changed a year ago and noticed that it looked very oily, it also had a strange piece of rubber hanging out of it, is this normal?

i'm going to try and attach pics and movie of the engine.

20130224_185547.jpg

please help or advise if you can :-)

thanks,
    GBP
    Last edited by GBP; 25th February 2013 at 16:21.

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    I can't quite work out the direction, is that rubber coming from the plastic cover of the EGR valve? If so then the cogs probably won't work. Presumably they haven't fitted some of the gaskets correctly.
    Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

GBP
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Wrath,

Thank you for your reply.

I'm going to try and upload a video of the item and will let you know.

Thanks,
    GBP

GBP
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Wrath,

the video is here:

Thanks for your help.

GBP

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    How can anyone fit a seal/gasket like that man, never seen that before & it doesnt look right at all, I'd remove the IMF & EGR, buy new seals/gaskets & clean all up, open the IMF & check the teeth if plastic & if they've broken which was a common fault, then time for a new IMF.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Neutral

Status
    That looks as though somebody has removed the cover off the EGR valve, and as they've replaced the cover the gasket has become dislodged.

Obviously they never realised this - this is an easy fix though, just seperate the cover from the EGR assembly, good clean out, pop the seal back in place, tighten up the retaining screws.

Job done.
    Audi A4 Avant 2.0TDi S-Line Special Edition

GBP
    Reverse Gear

Status
    guys

thanks for your responses.

This is a part that Audi replaced for me a year ago

ive had my car serviced and the front shocks replaced. they're the only jobs ive had done since this part was changed... would this have had to be taken apart for those jobs to be done?

GBP

GBP
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi all.. been looking around and it seems as if the loop is normal: Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDi coughing and spluttering again

the engine management light has reappeared, so i guess i shouldnt be driving it about again!

i dont know what to do, if anyone has any advice, please let me know!

thanks,
    GBP

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Remove & check.

GBP
    Reverse Gear

Status
    NHN,

Sorry, its the Emission Control System light that keeps on going on and off.. is it safe for me to drive the car? i've no loss of power?

Or, just stop and get it checked out?

thanks,
    GBP

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Definitely get it scanned asap.

Neutral

Status
    I've never seen the gasket hanging out like that, i've had an EGR to bits on a PD140 and my own 170 and neither were like that.

Its quite simple to remove the valve off the inlet manifold, then loosen the cover bolts on the EGR, if the cover seems to be stuck fast give it a quick sharp tap with something like a plastic screwdriver handle, then remove the screws and cover.

Inspect the seal and you'll see where its supposed to fit as theres a channel in the cover for it to sit in.

I'd be very surprised if you can buy the seal.

Any more questions - ask away.

GBP
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Daveevs,

i may have it wrong about it being exactly the EGR, it may be the Intake Manifold Flap...
    www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/156074-audi-a4-b7-2-0-tdi-coughing-spluttering-again.html#post1584844
    if you take a look at this post: the chaps here suggest it normal for the 'rubber - loop' to come out if there is a problem.

im not 100% sure myself, but when the Emission light came on and went off again.. and now ive seen a bit of oil about - im more concerned that i'll damage something if i drive it.

what are your thought on the IMF having a rubber seal that pops out. i cant find any info online about this stuff.

thanks for your help.

GBP

Neutral

Status
    Have a read through this thread - Another 2.0TDI EGR Valve Cleaning Thread - with before and after pics.

There are 3 valves on the intake side, where the rubber inlet pipe attatches to the inlet manifold that first valve is the 'anti-shudder valve', bolted directly to that is the 'EGR valve', the third valve is at the front of the inlet manifold just behind the top cambelt cover - this is the 'inlet manifold flap actuator valve'.

I can see no logical explanation for that loop of rubber hence why personally i dont think its correct.

5th Gear

Status
    Thanks for the video, it isn't the EGR value, it is the anti-shudder valve. I've checked mine and there isn't any rubber sticking out from it and I have never opened that up. If there is rubber sticking out then I'm guessing part of it could be stuck between the valve and the EGR. The only safe bet is to buy a set of gaskets, take off the EGR valve (you have to take the anti-shudder valve off anyway), may as well take off the intake manifold and clean the whole lot. I don't think anyone can advise to drive the car or not as noone knows what on the inside.

As to the oil, that part is pressurised when the engine is active so could be spraying from the smallest hole, can you take a shot of the whole engine bay?
    Nathan

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

GBP
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Wrath,

Will try and send you a pic of the whole engine bay tonight.

Audi A4 B7 2.0 TDi coughing and spluttering again

that link shows 2 anti-shudder valves (is that the same as intake manifold flap?) with rubber things.

thanks for your help.

GBP

5th Gear

Status
    My knowledge of car engines isn't fanastic but I don't think the manifold flap is the same. Looking at that thread, your anti shudder valve may need replacing. I'm not sure if that's where the oil is coming from. It could be they didn't put new gaskets in when they removed the EGR or the bolts aren't tightened enough.
    Nathan

GBP
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Wrath and others... here is another video of my engine bay area and some pictures:

(note: i'm hopefully getting this to a garage today - but im not driving my car in the mean time) thanks for your help :-)

20130226_181327.jpg

20130226_181333.jpg

20130226_181340.jpg

20130226_181407.jpg

20130226_181537.jpg

20130226_181543.jpg

20130226_181548.jpg

20130226_181633.jpg

GBP
    Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    My knowledge of car engines isn't fanastic but I don't think the manifold flap is the same. Looking at that thread, your anti shudder valve may need replacing. I'm not sure if that's where the oil is coming from. It could be they didn't put new gaskets in when they removed the EGR or the bolts aren't tightened enough.
    Would this still apply one year on?

Neutral

Status
    Red - EGR valve
    Yellow - Anti shudder valve
    Orange - Intake manifold flap valve

20130226_181333.jpg