Soft top problems, please lower storage box

Iadejusto

Reaction score
Just tried to lower my soft top because a friend wanted to see what it looks like.
It didn't move when I tried, message came up saying please lower storage box. I went round to the boot and moved the lever to the right, which is what I think the storage box is.
Then tried it again and the windows came half down and the hood just opened, it wouldn't go any further than that.

any suggestions?

scan with vcds
a sensor will have packed in or needs reseting
look in your book and do a manual open and close this should reset it

scan with vcds
a sensor will have packed in or needs reseting
look in your book and do a manual open and close this should reset it

okay, so it shouldn't be anything serious then?

You might have the classic 'stuck brushes in your hood motor' problem. Basically the latches on the windscreen unlock and the storage lid lifts up an inch, then nothing. The process to free off the motor brushes is well documented on here and will allow your motor to start running again. If you have a reasonable DIY capability its a low cost way of potentially fixing this problem If you are not able to do this then you might want to consider sending the motor to the guy who advertises on the well known auction website. Look on there for 'Audi motor repair'......I have no connection to this person, although i did send him my motor yesterday as i have tried the above process a few times and each time the fix only lasts a few weeks, so i decided i might have more than just a stuck brush problem with my motor. If that does not work then as suggested try a VCDS scan to see if its a sensor problem. In my case i have a VCDS tester and no sensor faults show up when the roof failed to open.
Good luck.
Nigel

Hi. I've got a similar problem, but I think fiddled with the storage box ( was already broken) but I think i may have triggered the sensor, as my roof does operate now, and just get lower storage box error. Roof was working prior to this.

I understand option is to do manual reset.

Can I ask what VCDS would do as i know my storage box is broken (stays down at all time). Bought car last week so only saw this after! Roof was working at the time.

What did you do to sort yours?

Update....managed to get VCDS....

Scanned no specific error for the roof.

This makes me think a manual reset will solve?

Also any suggestions on how to physically fix the broken box? Happy to pay Reasonable amount - not the amounts quoted on some of the U.S. sites though.

Just for completeness and to help others now know storage box doesn't lower on one side is the problem. Anyone had this issue ?

Been informed that cutting cables is only way to resolve unless whole unit is replaced.

My box is broken in a similar way, when you do the lever it only goes up one side and I have to push it up the other side. I looked into it last summer and it appears that it's possible to repair it, but just getting to it seems to be a proper pain in the ****. I'd be intersted to hear if you make any headway on it as it's an annoyance.

Yes, handle for me moves one side (a bit, not much). Handle doesn't move other side at all. However I can push it down either. It's stuck. As such roof doesn't work.

Are you saying you can manually push down then?

I've been told solution is to cut cables to allow box to be dropped permanently. I'l likely to this. This would make handle redundant after.

Mine drops ok but when I move lever only one side (left) goes up. If I lift the right side while doing the lever it all stays up fine.

From what I’ve read there’s a switch on the right hand side of the box which you can short which will make it think it’s always down certainly worth doing as a test to see if that’s the problem.

Yep. Heard of the switch. My problem is that one side of the box just stays up.

So opposite problem to you. If rooms comes down on this if I bypass switch then it will cause damage.

You got a solution for yours yet? No doubt we have same underlying issue.

I believe its cables caught up and or mechanism broken.