Window tints

tuffy

Reaction score
Evening all
Im going to invest in some window tints for the rear windows of my avant once its back together and off the lifts. Can you guys recommend the percentage of tint?

im after a nice OEM look, maybe a shade darker, dont want to go too gangster style though

Thanks

I'm getting my avant tinted on monday and am having 20% which is meant to be about the same as oem privacy glass

Hi Tuffy.When the missus bought her A3 we had the rear tinted one shade less from "limo" black.The reason for this was it blocked out all the uv rays from the sun and the glare just to make it more comfortable for our little boy in the back.The car was a metallic black and I thought it suited the car well.:o.k:

Hi Tuffy.When the missus bought her A3 we had the rear tinted one shade less from "limo" black.The reason for this was it blocked out all the uv rays from the sun and the glare just to make it more comfortable for our little boy in the back.The car was a metallic black and I thought it suited the car well.:o.k:

Hi. Mine is also to serve a purpose too , not just for aesthetics. We have a baby due in a few weeks and I too want to keep the glare away from the little dear.
My A4 is silver, not totally dismissing a very dark tint, would be good to see variations ranging from Oem tint right up to limo.

I went 25 and it's very similar to the factory tints on the wife's E90

My red a3 s line has limo tint looks good you can still see out

I went for 20% (midnight) on the back. you could put 50% on the front to even the front and back out, just be aware tinting the fronts might get you attention from the police

Edit: I meant to write 20% not 30%, oops!

Last edited:
I went for 30% (midnight) on the back. you could put 50% on the front to even the front and back out, just be aware tinting the fronts might get you attention from the police

Thanks for the advice but im sure I will only be doing the five rear windows.

Thinking of getting a light tint done all round on mine soon (as it is a bright colour). Alot of the time, the final outcome depends on the colour of the car.

If it is mainly to keep the glare off your "little un" you really should be going dark as you can..The main and obvious reason is to eliminate all the bad uv rays from the sun plus it will give your baby that VIP feeling ha ha:photo:

If it is mainly to keep the glare off your "little un" you really should be going dark as you can..The main and obvious reason is to eliminate all the bad uv rays from the sun plus it will give your baby that VIP feeling ha ha:photo:

Not a huge fan of the limo / drug dealer dark tints! Too much contrast between the tinted windows and fronts just looks naff to me! I will be going for the same thing and try to get it as close to factory as poss'. Just out of interest have you been quoted a price yet? Up here the best price I can get even as a "homer" is 300quid...but that's a really good job. I remember using a Glagow outfit before for my SAAB Aero and they did an amazing job for 150quid.....The price I pay for living in IKEA land.

Let us know how you get on.

BR
A

mine where tinted then i put limo tint on top.
Bachelor pad,
i call it the batchelor pad shade.

Not a huge fan of the limo / drug dealer dark tints! Too much contrast between the tinted windows and fronts just looks naff to me! I will be going for the same thing and try to get it as close to factory as poss'. Just out of interest have you been quoted a price yet? Up here the best price I can get even as a "homer" is 300quid...but that's a really good job. I remember using a Glagow outfit before for my SAAB Aero and they did an amazing job for 150quid.....The price I pay for living in IKEA land.

Let us know how you get on.

BR
A

I had a quote of £200 cash reputable local firm with 5 year guarantee!

This thread is useless without pictures to compare it all to. I'm probably going to have my new car done when it arrives and just want a very light tint/privacy film.

I had mine done for £140 (saloon B pillar back) with lifetime guarantee.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21360753425672479

Had mine done for £175, around 3 hours to be done.Grrrr that meant the wife got 3 hours in the shopping centre lol
Newpicsofcar005.jpg

Had mine done for £175, around 3 hours to be done.Grrrr that meant the wife got 3 hours in the shopping centre lol
Newpicsofcar005.jpg

That's ideal!! The tints, not the 3hrs of shopping lol

Reactions: Macdoon
heres my a3 with limo tint £150 5 year guarrantee and very tidy job dirrect tint lancaster tho dirrect are a national company

Attachments

• 20121118_120737.jpg
    20121118_120737.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 574
mine has no film on the front only standard glass tint which as far as im aware is allready at legal level, but if you go darker in the rest of the windows because theres not a lot of light getting in it makes the front look darker if you know what i mean

heres my a3 with limo tint £150 5 year guarrantee and very tidy job dirrect tint lancaster tho dirrect are a national company

May i ask what percentage your rear tints are? I'm looking for some very similar to yours for my Sportback A3 in Red!

Its limo mate if i remember right its about 90% it is dark but you can see out and i have parking assist so that helps anywar

Kaza:1804400 said:

May i ask what percentage your rear tints are? I'm looking for some very similar to yours for my Sportback A3 in Red!

Just had my B6 Avant tinted 2 days ago 20% rears 30% fronts I went with the better quality Ceramic tints over the cheaper metallic tints and it still only cost £195 for the lot, the chap did a really thorough job and removed all trims to tint to the very edge of all windows previously the other company I used who I had do my last 9-10 cars only tinted the glass they could get too.

20130307_065435_zpsa8d49e1a.jpg

20130307_065443_zpsbce1b913.jpg

20130307_065456_zps935c4dc8.jpg

20130307_065504_zps39a37048.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone know somewhere near Cambridge to have tints done?

thanks tony

Hers mine, was done last week.

Think its 25% rears and 35% front........looks just the same as factory tints.

559774_10151292288607407_1595678482_n_zpsdf133668.jpg

226482_10151292289082407_28229421_n_zpsa463e1bc.jpg

374561_10151292289102407_1879921837_n_zpsb7459fa7.jpg

858784_10151292288792407_987646670_o_zps4c2ae596.jpg

Does anyone have experiance of Ceramic Polycarbonate lamination compaired to film lamination? i have a quote from 2 companies one quoting the Ceramic Polycarbonate and the other quoting using Llummar film.
Is either better than the other?

many thanks tony

Any tint that is 3 ply is a good film, most proper tint firms only use decent tint, the stuff you get frm halfords is 2 ply and is awful to fit, horrid colour once applied it doesn't last long at all, obviously keep in mind it is illegal to tint the drivers and passengers windows now so rear 5 only if you want to stay legal.

Thanks buddy.... It's getting eibachs fitted next week so will sit a bit better