Need advice on purchasing an A4

supanova

A3 2.0 TDI SE
Reaction score
Coleraine, Coleraine, United Kingdom, United Kingd
so basically, I'm looking to change from my audi a3 to an 06upwards Audi A4. I have heard rumours that certain engines arent the best and give bother.

Can anyone give me advice or tips on what to look for, whats good, whats bad?.

cheers and I hope I'm not being stupid and wasting anyones time. cheers! :)

don't touch a BLB engined 2.0tdi, i did and it just cost me £2200 for a recon engine to replace the one that destroyed itself when the chain driven oil pump let go

if you dont want to visit the petrol garage more than you see your girlfriend then dont get one with an s infront of the 4:scared2:

Are you after diesel or petrol? If petrol then I would go for 2.0 tfsi with the engine code BUL it is 220 bhp. From what I have heard it is reasonably bulletproof..Someone correct me if I,m wrong.:yum:

Not sure if you want an oil burner or petrol. All the comments above I can't criticise. I would stay away from automatic transmissions and some of the 1.8t petrol engines can alledgedly be a bit "iffy" with engine engine sludge pick up. I think the later model B7 you can afford the better. Don't think there is an ultimate perfect engine model.....but certainly avoid the BLB's as I believe they are a bit fragile. For the record I have a 2005 Model BGB 2.0T petrol with nearly 120k miles on it and it runs pretty well so far. Also watch out for rust on early B7's, Mine is pretty dodgy in that department. Check the Honest John site too, a lot of good info there for ya. Audi A4 B7 2005 - Car Review | Honest John Take your time...there's shed loads of B7's out there...take your time and get a good one.

BTW the engine codes should be seen in the service book, or just asking the dealer/owner....they should have the info.

Good Luck,
A

The BLB engine code is for the 2.0tdi 170bhp. the 140bhp 2.0tdi does not suffer from the same injector problems.

Personally I can't recommend the 3.0tdi enough. With a stage 1 remap you're looking at 270-280bhp & 550 torques, still with a conservative 35mpg. Plus it works really well with the auto box.

Hope you find a good one!