Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    S4P4UL's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Halifax, UK
    Posts
    81

    A couple of questions about fitting lights!

    I'm wanting to fit white LED strips under my doors, and mirrors, so when the door is unlocked and opened there is white under door lighting if you know what I mean?
    Now I spotted a power feed under the door as there is already a standard light under the door. But for under the mirror, I'd have to drill a tiny hole and feed the wire up and in the mirror housing and into the door, is the nearest power feed going to be the same under door light? Also I've not checked yet, but do these work by the door being opened? Or do they work same as interior lights I.e when cars unlocked do they light automatically?
    Cheers in advance!

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    281
    Quote Originally Posted by S4P4UL View Post
    I'm wanting to fit white LED strips under my doors, and mirrors, so when the door is unlocked and opened there is white under door lighting if you know what I mean?
    Now I spotted a power feed under the door as there is already a standard light under the door. But for under the mirror, I'd have to drill a tiny hole and feed the wire up and in the mirror housing and into the door, is the nearest power feed going to be the same under door light? Also I've not checked yet, but do these work by the door being opened? Or do they work same as interior lights I.e when cars unlocked do they light automatically?
    Cheers in advance!
    i have them on my x5, they are called puddle lights. maybe if you search audi puddle lights you might find what your looking for

  4. #3
    S4P4UL's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Halifax, UK
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by gruf View Post
    i have them on my x5, they are called puddle lights. maybe if you search audi puddle lights you might find what your looking for
    My car already had the standard lights fitted under the door, I was wanting to upgrade the yellowy light to a white LED strip, I already have the LEDs because I was going to do this on my last car but never got round to it! I was just wondering what the power switch was from.

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    281
    cant you spur off the lights that already there

  6. #5
    S4P4UL's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Halifax, UK
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by gruf View Post
    cant you spur off the lights that already there
    I have a 90cm light strip which would illuminate the whole length of the door rather than just a spot, I think it would look better and certainly brighter. If I was to remove the bulb, and take my feed from the pre existing light, I wanted to know how the power works, when I unlock my car, the interior lights come on, do the puddle lights light up too regardless of the door being open, if you know what I mean?

  7. #6
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    281
    got ya. tell the truth not took to much notice, ive only had my b7 for 2 weeks at the mo.
    im not the man to ask but im sure in the next few months of tinkering i might be able to shed some light (pun) sorry

  8. #7
    S4P4UL's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Halifax, UK
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by gruf View Post
    got ya. tell the truth not took to much notice, ive only had my b7 for 2 weeks at the mo.
    im not the man to ask but im sure in the next few months of tinkering i might be able to shed some light (pun) sorry
    Same here, i only picked it up this time last week, haha, already making it mine!

  9. #8
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    281
    Dont go to far with the lights you could end up like clarke griswold

  10. #9
    Macdoon's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Essex
    Posts
    1,507
    T8ups on here does an led upgrade pack for the interior, puddle lights, footwells etc, very good price
    A4 B8 (09) 2.0 TFSI (211)

    Black Gloss RS4 style mesh grille, Black Gloss fog grilles, Black Gloss splitter trim, Ice White fogs, Tints, Black A8 boot rings, Black Badges, Dynamik boot spoiler, LED interior, LED number plate lights.

  11. #10
    bez101's Avatar
    Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    7,988
    they would come on when you open the door
    you would have to wire wing mirror lights into the inside lights so they come on with door unlock.

  12. #11
    S4P4UL's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Halifax, UK
    Posts
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by bez101 View Post
    they would come on when you open the door
    you would have to wire wing mirror lights into the inside lights so they come on with door unlock.
    do you know how big of a job this would be? im assuming A pillar trim off, then solder behind the interior lights and drill the mirror housing?

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. A couple of questions about RNS-E
    By jdp1962 in forum Satellite Navigation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 1st January 2011, 20:07
  2. couple of questions about A4
    By Effect in forum Audi S4/A4/A4 Cab (B8 Chassis)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 22nd June 2009, 13:12
  3. question about interior lighting
    By patrick swayze in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 28th January 2008, 17:20
  4. Question about S3 lights.
    By Effect in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30th June 2007, 17:32
  5. Couple of questions about my B5 S4 Avant......
    By arS4 in forum A4/S4 forum(B5 Chassis)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 8th March 2006, 17:12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO