This weekends project commences (DRL's)

Danny-boy

Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure if anybody will be interested, but I thought I would make a post on a little project I have half finished today (will complete tomorrow).

Decided I fancied some LED DRL's, well they will be connected to my sidelights so not really DRLs.

I looked around the car and decided I wanted to modify them into the fog light housing.

Firstly, I needed to flatten off the centre spine on the trim, dremel took care of that.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359827960725408

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359827975037380

Then I shrink-wrapped the end of the led strip to keep the water out.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359828029536975

Then I stuck the strip on with superglue, masked the actual LED's and then sprayed with plasti-dip.

The final outcome was this...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359828077304166

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359828141604540

I'm pleased with the outcome, took a few hours but I reckon it was worth it.

I'll leave it to dry over night, give the whole thing a clear coat and then fit & wire.

I'll drop some installed and operating pictures up tomorrow.

Dan

Tidy mate, cant wait to see them lit up.

they look like they're going to be really nice mate. whats the output like on LED's? look forward to end result pal

they look like they're going to be really nice mate. whats the output like on LED's? look forward to end result pal

Erm, the output is "adequate" I'd say. None of the brighter ones would fit how I wanted them.

I'd say they are bright enough, I didn't want them to be too bright.

I did a little test where I put a thin coat of plasti-dip over the whole thing but it severely affected the brightness (half expected).

They were never going to be as bright as OEM DRL's, i just wanted to have a play.

I'll see if I like them when they are on tomorrow, only tested them at 9v so far so hoping they will look ok.

i think not being too bright is a good thing mate, some OEM (non-audi) are just too in your face.

If it's not OEM and subtle I think thats a good combo.

Thanks bud, I was going to have the headlights apart and put them in there but I didn't want to try and replicate something that looks so good OEM. Thought it would look like a poor copy.

At least this way it's a bit different, although I realise others have done it.

The other reason I didn't go for too bright (and the reason they are going to be wired from sidelights), is I'm going to have to try and remember to switch them off close to home just incase somebody "fancies" them.

They would take 3 seconds to steal, and would cost me £50 and a days work to replace!!!

no way you can secure at bit better from the back mate? don't know what the Sline fogs are like behind the bumper

Thanks bud, I was going to have the headlights apart and put them in there but I didn't want to try and replicate something that looks so good OEM. Thought it would look like a poor copy.

At least this way it's a bit different, although I realise others have done it.

The other reason I didn't go for too bright (and the reason they are going to be wired from sidelights), is I'm going to have to try and remember to switch them off close to home just incase somebody "fancies" them.

They would take 3 seconds to steal, and would cost me £50 and a days work to replace!!!

honestly, someones going to nick leds. the things people risk there fingers for.
its hard work trying to have anything now days.

I recently fitted these under my headlight units, lasted just over a month before water managed to get into them through the silicone coating they have :/.

Not what I wanted to hear lol.

I'm hoping the plasti-dip and tomorrow's clear coat finish will help with that.

Worst comes to the worst, it will cost me £10 to redo them in a more waterproof manner.

Consider this a test!!!

honestly, someones going to nick leds. the things people risk there fingers for.
its hard work trying to have anything now days.

It's not just the led's, it's the fog surrounds too. Some would see it as a free mod!!!

no way you can secure at bit better from the back mate? don't know what the Sline fogs are like behind the bumper

Had a quick look, but nothing stood out as an easy way of securing.

If the B7's have a bonnet spring pin for the alarm, I may piggy-back that behind each fog surround.

Did it on my E36 for the fogs (had them taken twice) and it worked well.

I hate having to worry about things like that, it makes you feel sick, youve had a good night out in the car the heatings on and your feeling good on the way home then you get this sick feeling thinking oh s##t i better turn the leds off and the radio down.
it shouldnt be that way

Agreed.

They just better hope I don't catch them at it!!!

i got an 8 stone american bulldog that thinks different to you, he thinks let me catch them at it.

That's what I said. I'm a 17 stone military bulldog 😲

Reactions: gruf
You can come park up at mine and make a honey trap, ill put me feet up and watch you 2 go to work.
then we could do the same up your way.
i bet after that mad turn out there wont be a theft for a few miles. youll be able to leave your lights and radio on until the battery goes flat:gun2:

Ha ha.

Nobody local would bother stealing anything from my car, it's just the little gits who see something and take an opportunity.

Like I said, if they do get taken then its not the end of the world. I'd rather they had them than scratch my car trying!!!

good point,
ive took everything like that off mine, ive got an s4, ive put black mirror covers on coz someone said they nick the brushed ally ones

Ooh, I fancy brushed ally ones.

I have a plan for that.

Crappy chrome ones from eBay, wet & dry and clear coat plasti-dip.

Tried & tested. It's a £19 loss if it looks rubbish

I have a plan for that.

I like your style,
i took them off before i found out about the thieving rats, to tell the truth they were a bit bling bling for me and i like that the corsa mob think im just a div with fake deuces on my rear end.

I have a plan for that.

like your thinking on that, I had a similiar thought wet and drying them.

Might add this to the ever growing list.....

Right, finally finished.

Hardest part was routing cabling to avoid moving parts and excess heat, but found routes in the end.

Final result, switched off.......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359905855075276

Switched on.......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359905888336709

I'll take some shots when it gets dark, but very pleased with the result.

Dan

Reactions: gruf
Tell the truth mate, im not a bling bling type of guy and if you told me about this mod i would say, not my cuppa tea.
tell the truth twice in one day, i would have that cuppa tea all day long now ive seen the pictures.
very nice very subtle and very oem looking.
I LIKE

Thanks mate, much appreciated.

I'm looking forward to seeing them when it gets a little darker.

Now I need to plan the next project!!!

More pics later.

Dan

Turned out really nice mate. Nice and subtle, works perfectly.

Next project, make your way to mine and do mine for us...:yes:

Next project, make your way to mine and do mine for us...:yes:

Ha ha. It's a rather time consuming project to be fair.

I'd happily do it again though.

I'll wait and see how long mine last first lol.

Have a bash mate, it's not complicated.

I have an idea for another (much easier) method if mine die, which is to use plastic L-section and mount them just above the rear of the centre fin.

Danny did you just splice these into the sidelights wiring. Also you got a link to where you got the led strips from
regards
lee

Yes mate, spliced onto the sidelights.

Any 300mm strip from eBay will be fine mate (15 LEDs).

Mine were 99p delivered for the pair lol.

Yes mate, but I only have my iphone camera and it didn't come out very well.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21360134979858881

You get the idea though.

they look good mate, probably better in the flesh. LED's never photo well anyway!!

yeahman they look pretty sweet!

Really nice mod mate!! Looking awesome very professional job! Have they held up weather and theft wise?

Yeah, surprisingly.

3 full-on jet washes and 1000 miles later and all is spot on.

Quite pleased to be honest.

Yes mate, spliced onto the sidelights.

Any 300mm strip from eBay will be fine mate (15 LEDs).

Mine were 99p delivered for the pair lol.

Danny lights look good, im contemplating replacing my drl with similar.
could you send us the link to the led strip you ordered, i cant find them that cheap.

Danny lights look good, im contemplating replacing my drl with similar.
could you send us the link to the led strip you ordered, i cant find them that cheap.

Thanks buddy, I'm happy with them.

3 jet washes later and they are still spot on.

Can't find the 99p ones now, but there are loads for £2.50ish.

Try eBay item number 120947358537 for starters.

Job done.

Need any help with fitting & wiring, give me a shout mate.