Turbo question - video added

Jcooke

Reaction score
Right guys and girls, I have taken my turbo off and fully cleaned it, I have also changed the actuator. Put it all back fine, start the car and smoke comes from the turbo? Take the actuator pipe off and all is fine. Should there be vacuum suction coming from the actuator pipe or should that only be under load. This is when the car is just in idle.

Last edited:
Just taken a video to show what is happening.
1st video is car started without the turbo actuator pipe attached. I then add and remove the pipe
2nd video shows what the car is doing to the actuator on start up. Used my spare actuator
3rd video shows the spare actuator attached to the pipe under load.

help me as I am pulling my hair out. Could it be the n75 valve? Anyone else got a 2005 tdi that can test if there is pressure on idle to the turbo actuator?

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/...B6B50ED-3525-0000046430115FF4_zps36e0303c.mp4

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/...20DAD14-3525-0000046458861173_zps5dfe7ce9.mp4

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/...F6B82A1-3525-000004646E51F7F8_zps17c8dbdc.mp4

Basically what you've done is remove the sensor line off the actuator. On idle, you will get vacuum, actuators work on positive pressure. When you remove the line you're letting air that SHOULD be going into the system, leak out, which is why the engine idle changes slightly. The smoking will be where your finger oil or penetrating oil is burning off, it'll go eventually.

But as soon as I put the pipe on it goes into limp mode. I think it should have pressure but should it pull the actuator all the way to the top?

Yeh, as that's where it sits to begin regulation. Not sure why it goes into limp mode :/ do any lights come on for the dash?

It gets better, found that it is now a leak in my egr pipe that connects to the exhaust manifold. What price do you reckon it's going to cost for the price guys? Or am I best trying the scrap yards? Got to be a blb engine out there that has failed :)

Is the turbo same as bkd with the vnt design?

Just buy an egr pipe from audi unless its hundreds :)

Reactions: Jcooke
Yeah it's in neutral, never heard of that before being honest.

I was going to say, if you stripped it down & cleaned internals, check you refitted the mechanisms properly.

I was going to say, if you stripped it down & cleaned internals, check you refitted the mechanisms properly.

its all fitted correctly leak is coming from the underside of the metal pipe that screws to the exhaust manifold. Can you blank the egr on a blb engine.

Have you taken it for a physical drive to see if its ok? rev limited in neutral is a common practice on modern cars. Plus it prevents the mcdonald car park crews from peeing you off.

No not before I fit the new egr cooler pipe. Massive leak in it. So seems the turbo was not the problem in the first place.