Numberplate LED

READER84

Reaction score
Can numberplate bulbs just be straight swapped for LED bulbs without error?

Yes, I did mine just before Christmas.

No warnings whatsoever.

Which ones you using Danny?

Would love to know this also, I thought all b7's through up errors unless you added resistors? I bought the canbus friendly ones of eBay and they still have errors.

I must be lucky then, they have been perfect.

eBay item number was 320929258827

Apparently you get less errors with red DIS, colour DIS gives more warnings.

I've got RED dis (red screen, amber errors??) and still get errors. For £4 I might try these too...

Apparently there are some which don't give any errors, drop T8ups a PM as he sells them on here.

Most of the 'CANBUS error free' ones on eBay are designed for the older style CANBUS, if you have OBDII (I think) then the detection systems is different, more clever, and doesn't always work. I had normal LED festoons on my B6 and it was 50/50 when you put the lights on as to whether or not you got a dash error...

as above had LED bulbs in mine for a bit and it was a 50/50 as to whether i got error warning or not.

that said fitted new units from ebay (linked in the B6 section) and soo far not had an error message at all from them.

as above had LED bulbs in mine for a bit and it was a 50/50 as to whether i got error warning or not.

that said fitted new units from ebay (linked in the B6 section) and soo far not had an error message at all from them.

Yours a b7 or b6 mate

I had LED's - dash went mad, T8ups sent me some bulbs which are white but not LED's - he advised B7's dont like LED's in general, although he provide some excellent ones for the front....(with resistors)

I had LED's - dash went mad, T8ups sent me some bulbs which are white but not LED's - he advised B7's dont like LED's in general, although he provide some excellent ones for the front....(with resistors)

How were the white halogen ones mate, any pics.

Whereabout are u in Worcestershire? I'm Redditch way but work in Worcester

I had a good read round before I bought mine and the general consensus was that LED would throw up errors.

Bought a cheap set from eBay and they have never thrown an error.

I'm questioning if my canbus bulb checker is actually working.

I thought that was the case... But after reading above I thought someone had found a set that worked. Have you tried / seen his ice white plate lights?

No, I just replaced with a standard bulb in the end. I was only interested as the bulb holder had broken so needed sorting out and thought I might change to LEDs at the same time.

I have the colour FWIW and unlike some who can get rid of the error by switching lights off and on again, fat chance here...

If someone wants my LED's they can have them for free - shame as they looked great.

B7_FUR - i'm on the Droitwich side of Worcester...

Reactions: Chr1sch
It's an interesting point. When my bulb holder fell out I had no errors! I have the red DIS not colour FWIW.
I believe if you have the half-DIS then you dont have the bulb error function meaning your LED's will work no issue as the car isnt checking for the resistance / power draw of the bulb.

Reactions: Chr1sch
Ah, so the red DIS with range only does not monitor bulbs?

I wondered why my Led sidelights didn't throw up errors, especially when so many people have issues with them.

Maybe I will fit my LED fogs now and forget about the resistors.

Dan

Ive got Red display with range only so
LED's will work without error?

That's what we are just getting to the bottom of, but it certainly sounds like it.

I have led sidelights and number plates without any errors.

Either that or I have been very, very lucky.

Dont want to commit 100% but pretty sure unless you have Full DIS (two trip comps with options) then it does NOT check youre bulb's.
would explain Danny why you werent getting any Errors when everyone else was having problems.

that said mate A3 without DIS is a bit fussy about LED's so dont assume they will just work everywhere without DIS as this may not be the case.

Might just order a pair for a couple of quid and see what happens

Got a pair through yesterday from EM Tuning, hopefully get them bad boys fitted tonight

I bought a pair of these off eBay, August last year and I only get an error on ignition on cold mornings which disappears as soon as the engine is started.

There are these off HIDs Direct too, but I've not tried them. Use discount code 'REPEAT' at checkout for 10% off. :icon_thumright:

Az

Im told mine wont kick up errors being a red display

I would've thought that bulb detection was standard on all models regardless of DIS? I could be wrong though as I've always had satnav and therefore full colour DIS?

It's confirmed, I get no warning.

Popped a couple of bulbs out last night, and no warnings.