tiptronic gbox questions

nothingness

Reaction score
Hi!

After writing off my a3 2.0tfsi s line, I am thinking of purchasing this

Audi A4 3.0 TDi TDV Quattro S Line 4dr Tip Auto Diesel 2006

My question is, what is the tiptronic like? I have has dsg/s-tronic in my last 2 cars.

Also does the a4 have paddle shifters like the DSG does? I am hearing mixed answers, some saying they do, others saying they dont etc.

Many thanks

I've never driven a DSG, so can't offer a comparison, but I can tell you that the 3.0TDi in combination with the traditional auto gearbox is just marvellous. If you're feeling lazy, leave it in D and let the box do all the work. If you want some extra go, but are still feeling lazy, pop it into Sport mode and it'll change up later and change down sooner. If you want to do all your own gear changes, put it in Tiptronic mode. What could be simpler?

Whichever mode you're in, changes are quick, responsive and smooth, making the car an absolute joy, and very easy to drive very quickly.

As far as paddle changes are concerned, they were an optional extra - what did you expect, this is Audi after all! So you might have to hunt around to find one.

Yeah lovely engine tbh & dsg is great.

Tiptronic box works well with the 3.0TDI

As Jpd said above. Effortless with 3 driving modes I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Drive it a and see for yourself.

I just checked the spec and its fully loaded. It may be a non DPF which will be a bonus.

Let us know how you get on

If it doesnt have paddles, can I just swap the steering wheel for one that does, would it require vag com, or does it not work like that?

Also, is it a reliable gearbox?

And does it need cambelt change at that mileage?

It may be coded already, so you'd have to test, but more than likely it would need coding for paddles, also its got the correct steering cu etc, so saves a vast amount for these.

If you need to installed etc let me know :)

If it doesnt have paddles, can I just swap the steering wheel for one that does, would it require vag com, or does it not work like that?

Also, is it a reliable gearbox?

And does it need cambelt change at that mileage?

The ZF auto boxes are renowned for reliability. That doesn't mean they never go wrong, but the point is they have a reputation for being strong. Also, I'm pretty certain 3.0TDi has chain-driven camshafts, so no cambelt change needed.