Monster MotorsportChris Nott
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jdp1962
  • 1 Post By V6 Quatt

Thread: Hit the kerb, steering whell different direction?! SNOW DAMAGE :(

Neutral

Status

Hit the kerb, steering whell different direction?! SNOW DAMAGE :(

Ok so I was had my second accident in two consecutive days more or less in the same way. First one, turning into a side street, hit the break slightly, car slides off, hit van. Van stays intact, driver says don't worry about (lucky me), my car ends up with damaged front bumper and broken headlight.

Now about 20 minutes ago, turning right into a side street, hit the real slightly, car slides, hit the kerb.
    Kerb was on the passenger side, and the wheel was turned the opposite way because I was turning right and also trying to get away fron the kerb. I hit the kerb pretty hard, completely sideways, with the wheel turned, at about 10mph.
    as I drove off, I noticed that to go on a straight line the steering wheel is sort of halfway turned to the right. And I definitely can't go above 30 because it feels too unsafe.

What could be the damage? The wheels seem o be fine, but thn agin it was to dark to be sure.
    i this one thing that's gonna put a dent in my pocket?

audi a4 140 s line cabriolet

2. # ADS
    ADS

2nd Gear

Status
    Oh dear. Sorry to hear your troubles. You could of bent anything relating to steering/suspension. If the steering wheel is off center could well be a bent trackrod end. You may be lucky and just knocked the tracking out......but I doubt it.

Get it on some ramps and get someone to inspect it for you. Also check the wheel and tyre for damage. I had what I thought was a slow puncture, turned out to be a buckled alloy.

1st Gear

Status
    sorry to here this ^^^

you may be lucky, but i suspect theres some £££ damage... me'thinks you may need to slow down earlier (ie in a stright line!) before making the turns into un-gritted icey side streets, to prevent this happening a 3rd time!

goose
    Current:
    '06 Phantom Black Pearl Audi B7 S4 - Milltek non res|BMC Panel|034 25mm RARB|SuperPro poly bushes|Apikol poly Snub|H&R Springs|H&R 10mm rear spacers|LCR Splitter|R8 caps|JCap|RS4 Pedals|EBC D/G disks & yellow pads|HEL brake lines|White sides/DRLs|De-tango'd
    '72 Sunburst Yellow VW Karmann Ghia Coupe - 1641cc|Engle 110 Cam|Weber 34 Carb|dropped spindles|Porsche 911 black leather interior

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tuffy View Post
    Oh dear. Sorry to hear your troubles. You could of bent anything relating to steering/suspension. If the steering wheel is off center could well be a bent trackrod end. You may be lucky and just knocked the tracking out......but I doubt it.

Get it on some ramps and get someone to inspect it for you. Also check the wheel and tyre for damage. I had what I thought was a slow puncture, turned out to be a buckled alloy.

Just had a look at the tyre that hit the kerb. With the steering wheel straight, you can clearly see that the wheel is point outwards, as if I'm slightly turning left.

just got to my local garage, they're going to check what the problem is.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by g00se View Post
    sorry to here this ^^^

you may be lucky, but i suspect theres some £££ damage... me'thinks you may need to slow down earlier (ie in a stright line!) before making the turns into un-gritted icey side streets, to prevent this happening a 3rd time!

goose
    thats exactly what I need to be doing

5th Gear

Status
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing etc etc I know....but wouldn't winter tyres have possibley saved you a lot of heartache?...I know they are an expense initially, but could end up saving a lot of hassle. The modern winter tyres do work up to plus 7c these days...so just not designed for the icy North. Winter tyres < Owners area < Audi UK
    Hope you get a result and that it's nothing to pricey.
    BR
    A

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing etc etc I know....but wouldn't winter tyres have possibley saved you a lot of heartache?...I know they are an expense initially, but could end up saving a lot of hassle. The modern winter tyres do work up to plus 7c these days...so just not designed for the icy North. Winter tyres < Owners area < Audi UK
    Hope you get a result and that it's nothing to pricey.
    BR
    A

Just came out the tyre place, they've checked it and said that both my track rod ends are bent, and I've a bad driverside camber.

any ideas how much this is gonna cost me?

Neutral

Status
    if its just track rod arms, iro of £150 oem supply and fit
    2005 Dolphin Grey A4 2.0TDi S-Line Avant.
    19 INCH RS4 Alloys RNS-E Bluetooth Colour DIS Cool box in Glove Box B8 S Line MFSW APS Xenons Auto-dim RV Mirror & Side Mirrors Rain Sensor Coming Home & DRLs Rear APS
    BLB Engine|Tensioner Failure|Full Service History...so what

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by pistonripper View Post
    if its just track rod arms, iro of £150 oem supply and fit

Okay. Do you have any idea how much a front bumper will cost me?

5th Gear

Status
    New it will be expensive and then you have the paint side of things to add on.
    Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    New it will be expensive and then you have the paint side of things to add on.
    i feel gutted. So is it better to buy a second hand one say from eBay, and then have it repainted to my car colour? And also, does are the aaloon and cabriolet bumpers both the same?

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iadejusto View Post
    i feel gutted. So is it better to buy a second hand one say from eBay, and then have it repainted to my car colour? And also, does are the aaloon and cabriolet bumpers both the same?
    There are normally a few kicking around on ebay, you may even be lucky enough to find one the right colour. Although the s line bumper can get snapped up pretty quick... I cant be 100% sure but i would hazard a guess that the saloon a cab bumpers are the
    same.
    Regards to your trackrod ends.....try to find a friendly independent garage to fit them. Make sure you have all the tracking and alinement done. A good garage will advice all the necessary procedures

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Fingers crossed you're back on the road soon, and without too big an outlay. As it is, I fear you have learned the hard way that in snow, you must do all of your deceleration well in advance, wherever possible using the gears in combination with the brakes to slow you down, and always in a straight line.
    Iadejusto likes this.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

Neutral

Status
    As others have said winter tyres are a huge improvement at this time of year as the standard factory fit tyres are really just summer slicks - if you look at the tread of most modern wide rubber they do not have tread in the conventional way just rings of slick rubber . A cynic would say they the car manufactures have a vested interest in supplying this type of tyre as standard as they will sell loads of body panels as a result .

If you look around there are mixed use or all season tyres in our sizes or even some of the lesser known make of tyres have tyres with conventional grip or tread . Hope you get it sorted out .
    Ian

4th Gear

Status
    I second that.

good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Fingers crossed you're back on the road soon, and without too big an outlay. As it is, I fear you have learned the hard way that in snow, you must do all of your deceleration well in advance, wherever possible using the gears in combination with the brakes to slow you down, and always in a straight line.
    Iadejusto likes this.
    Torque the Torque

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gradwells View Post
    As others have said winter tyres are a huge improvement at this time of year as the standard factory fit tyres are really just summer slicks - if you look at the tread of most modern wide rubber they do not have tread in the conventional way just rings of slick rubber . A cynic would say they the car manufactures have a vested interest in supplying this type of tyre as standard as they will sell loads of body panels as a result .

If you look around there are mixed use or all season tyres in our sizes or even some of the lesser known make of tyres have tyres with conventional grip or tread . Hope you get it sorted out .
    Ian
    This has nothing to do with car manufactures, the B7 has not been sold for years so it's what people have put on themselves. There is no law in the UK that people must use witer tyres, unlike some parts of europe. The only way to force drivers to use winter tyres is law, but that's not going to happen any time soon. In the winter it's all about driving to the conditions, not driving to the the limit of your tyres/talent!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by B5NUT View Post
    This has nothing to do with car manufactures, the B7 has not been sold for years so it's what people have put on themselves. There is no law in the UK that people must use witer tyres, unlike some parts of europe. The only way to force drivers to use winter tyres is law, but that's not going to happen any time soon. In the winter it's all about driving to the conditions, not driving to the the limit of your tyres/talent!
    Well yes B7 has been out of production for ages but walk round any new car and look at the tyres and they generally don't have tread just rings of slicks with perhaps a few lateral cutouts in the outer edges hopeless for "difficult" condition's but probably very good for the track at 25 dec !

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Well yes B7 has been out of production for ages but walk round any new car and look at the tyres and they generally don't have tread just rings of slicks with perhaps a few lateral cutouts in the outer edges hopeless for "difficult" condition's but probably very good for the track at 25 dec !
    Sorry, I don't agree that this is an issue for car manufacturers, or tyre manufacturers for that matter.

Tyre manufacturers have to consider a wide variety of factors when they design tyres; dry grip, wet grip, braking, durability, noise etc. So in that context, every tyre design is a compromise. Entirely separately from that, there are tyres designed specifically to operate in temperatures below 7 degrees C, and to provide enhanced steering and braking in snow; i.e. winter tyres. They don't just have different tread patterns; they have substantially different constructions from differing types of rubber compounds.

Car manufacturers will supply their cars from new fitted with a set of tyres that is compatible with the conditions that prevail for the majority of the time in the country in question. In the UK, that is clearly not the sort of conditions for which winter tyres are designed. That being the case, in the absence of the sort of legislation that exists in other countries, it is up to the buyer to make sure the tyres on his or her car are suitable for the conditions.
    Last edited by jdp1962; 22nd January 2013 at 10:55.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

6th Gear

Status
    Not sure what dealerships you have been walking around, but the ones I've visited the cars usually have michelin, pirelli, continental etc fitted with normal tread. The ones you describe sound like remolds. Not many people would like the extra expense of having to by a winter set of tyres with there new car, and if they did you can be they would just go on ebay. Don't get me wrong I'm in favor of winter tyres and have them on all my cars, but the law would need to be change not the car/tyre manufacturers or dealerships.

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    i have a s-line bumper if needed

handcrankywannkyspanky

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Iadejusto View Post
    Just came out the tyre place, they've checked it and said that both my track rod ends are bent, and I've a bad driverside camber.

any ideas how much this is gonna cost me?
    Bugger.Is the front camber adjustable on a B7 ? I know its not on a B8...hope the track rod ends sort it
    Pass me my sock

Want to help cure cancer? http://folding.stanford.edu/English/HomePage

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnythepie View Post
    Bugger.Is the front camber adjustable on a B7 ? I know its not on a B8...hope the track rod ends sort it
    No it's fixed, same as the B5 & B6

5th Gear

Status
    Not sure what dealerships you have been walking around, but the ones I've visited the cars usually have michelin, pirelli, continental etc fitted with normal tread. The ones you describe sound like remolds. Not many people would like the extra expense of having to by a winter set of tyres with there new car, and if they did you can be they would just go on ebay. Don't get me wrong I'm in favor of winter tyres and have them on all my cars, but the law would need to be change not the car/tyre manufacturers or dealerships.
    I take on board what you are saying about the costs upfront, but they'd be a hell of a lot cheaper than repairs and insurance excesses not to mention improving your overall road safety and a better chance of getting to your work in time. Unlike Summer tyres you are only using them for a few months each year...they last for ages. I have had 3-4 years out of mine easy and we have it rough up here. I notice each year in the UK it seems to be getting worse weather wise....but still it's the same old arguements for and against. Having now used winter tyres for 6 years now, if I was back in the UK and if I had the choice and cash for a set Winter tyre / wheels....I would have them on the car in a heartbeat.

Cheers
    A

Neutral

Status
    LOL we can only buy what tyre makers are supplying but just have a look at the tread or rather lack of tread on this conti plus all the established makers are the same

235 40 18 91Y Continental Sport Contact 2, pair of tyres, contact 07801 862286 | eBay

6th Gear

Status
    Had some of them on my first B7 and never fell off the road even used them during winter, they were not the best, prefer michelin very simlar tread, so must be down to different compounds. There are summer tyres and winter tyres, if you want lots of tread pattern then by winter tyres and use them all year round. So I just don't get your point.

I sure tyre manufacturers know how to make tyres that keep cars on the road, after all they have been doing it for years, and if they don't then people would stop buying that make. If it gets your back up that much email the manufacturersand tell them they are make tyres wrong LOL.