Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    A4_MaJiK's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    817

    My Social Networking

    Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel

    "AUTO" Illumination on Light Switch

    So I'm pretty sure something isn't right or they may be a fault somewhere but any comments are welcome as always.

    I have auto lights (factory fitted) with the bi-xenons on my B7. I'm pretty sure the AUTO symbol shown in the image below used to permanently illuminate orange/yellow when in auto mode, regardless of whether the headlights were on/off (correct me if I am wrong). I have noticed however it no longer illuminates (as shown below) and my headlights seem to always be on when in auto (although it has been quite cloudy over the last couple of days).



    I attempted to shine some light on the light sensor (windscreen side) using an LED workshop lamp (quite bright) in an attempt to try and get the headlights to switch off (this was outside when it was dark however) whilst in auto but no luck. Auto wipers and rear view dimming function correctly and all other light switch positions work fine too. No bulb errors, and the small LED on the knob of the switch flashes on ignition (bulb error checks) as it should. Follow me home lights and DRLs also work as they should (i.e. follow me home lights won't come on during daylight), which is why I think my headlights stay permanently on in AUTO too as I thought if the follow me home lights don't operate there is enough light detected to prevent the headlights from coming on when driving (but I may be wrong).

    I have noticed however, if I come back to the car after a couple of hours and start it as per normal procedure the "AUTO" will illuminate orange/yellow. But as soon as you drive off it will go out.

    I know it really isn't a big deal at the end of the day and I can still control my lighting manually, but things like this really bug me and I'd love to get down to the bottom of it. Just wanted to know if anybody is/has experienced a similar issue themselves.

    Thanks in advance, Az.

    Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    jjmurphy21187's Avatar
    Tiptronic

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nottingham, UK
    Posts
    820
    Don't know much about auto lights, but with electrics a lot of faults can be cause by bad earths... probably a bit of a stab in the dark though. Have you checked all of your fuses, is there a separate one for the auto light control?

    What are 'Follow Me Home Lights'? Never heard of those before...

    Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

    VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

  4. #3
    pistonripper's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    34
    I have a similar problem.....only my sidelight does not illuminate....I did read somewhere the bulbs go.....but did not bother, because I wasn't really bothered by it.

  5. #4
    V6 Quatt's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    776
    Thanks for this post A4 _ Majik
    I noticed this recently on mine which also has auto function - (must be a common fault) when we had a cold spell it worked for a bit then after I drove off it went out. This amber illumination should light up when auto lights come on or swithced to auto as in picture!! should go red when auto not in use I'm wondering whether its the bulb that is faulty??

    Not sure how to fix as those switches are expensive and rare??


    Let me know if you find a solution as I have the same issue as you


    Quote Originally Posted by A4_MaJiK View Post
    So I'm pretty sure something isn't right or they may be a fault somewhere but any comments are welcome as always.

    I have auto lights (factory fitted) with the bi-xenons on my B7. I'm pretty sure the AUTO symbol shown in the image below used to permanently illuminate orange/yellow when in auto mode, regardless of whether the headlights were on/off (correct me if I am wrong). I have noticed however it no longer illuminates (as shown below) and my headlights seem to always be on when in auto (although it has been quite cloudy over the last couple of days).



    I attempted to shine some light on the light sensor (windscreen side) using an LED workshop lamp (quite bright) in an attempt to try and get the headlights to switch off (this was outside when it was dark however) whilst in auto but no luck. Auto wipers and rear view dimming function correctly and all other light switch positions work fine too. No bulb errors, and the small LED on the knob of the switch flashes on ignition (bulb error checks) as it should. Follow me home lights and DRLs also work as they should (i.e. follow me home lights won't come on during daylight), which is why I think my headlights stay permanently on in AUTO too as I thought if the follow me home lights don't operate there is enough light detected to prevent the headlights from coming on when driving (but I may be wrong).

    I have noticed however, if I come back to the car after a couple of hours and start it as per normal procedure the "AUTO" will illuminate orange/yellow. But as soon as you drive off it will go out.

    I know it really isn't a big deal at the end of the day and I can still control my lighting manually, but things like this really bug me and I'd love to get down to the bottom of it. Just wanted to know if anybody is/has experienced a similar issue themselves.

    Thanks in advance, Az.
    Torque the Torque

  6. #5
    Rudedaubin's Avatar
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    South Yorkshire
    Posts
    70
    Shouldn't the sidelights only light up green when you have them manually switched on? I know mines a B6 but when the switch is in Auto as in your picture the sidelights are lit up red. It looks to me like the switch has broken but I'm not sure how you'd check it.
    2004 A4 Sport Cabriolet 3.0

  7. #6
    06 A4 2.0T FSi S-Line SE

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    London (N8)
    Posts
    515
    I have this issue - the illumination for the switch on the "auto" mode is flickering on/off randomly.

    I might whip the switch out and have a look. As far as I know, all switches are lit by LED, so it might be a connection that has worked loose, or needs re-soldering.
    Phantom Black Audi A4 2.0T FSi Quattro S-Line Special Edition
    RS4 grill | S4 mirrors | Tints: 45% sides, 35% rear screen | EasyStreet AutoPilot + AirLift struts/bags | Touareg ET60 9x19" on 215/35/19 all round | 25mm front, 35mm PCD adapters | EBC Red Stuff pads | Red calipers | RS4 pedals | Late-spec clear corner OEM bi-xenons | Leon Cupra R splitter | RNS-E | Ambient lighting | R8 oil cap | Carbonio & more

  8. #7
    Richardesty's Avatar
    loves quattro

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Louth
    Posts
    753
    Some time ago my green side light bit didnt illuminate.... Audi replaced the whole switch, under warranty .

    Seems to me that the led has failed

  9. #8
    A4_MaJiK's Avatar
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Posts
    817

    My Social Networking

    Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Just a quick update: Auto light functions correctly (was clear day yesterday and DRL's were running as opposed to headlights coming on). I think the problem may well be just the switch.

    Quote Originally Posted by jjmurphy21187 View Post
    Don't know much about auto lights, but with electrics a lot of faults can be cause by bad earths... probably a bit of a stab in the dark though. Have you checked all of your fuses, is there a separate one for the auto light control?

    What are 'Follow Me Home Lights'? Never heard of those before...
    I haven't checked any earths or fuses as I believe it may be just the switch itself. By "Follow Me Home Lights" I meant the fog lights coming on when locking/unlocking the car.

    Quote Originally Posted by pistonripper View Post
    I have a similar problem.....only my sidelight does not illuminate....I did read somewhere the bulbs go.....but did not bother, because I wasn't really bothered by it.
    I'm sure the bulb hasn't gone as it does come on on startup sometimes but goes off after a minute or as soon as I start driving.

    Quote Originally Posted by V6 Quatt View Post
    Thanks for this post A4 _ Majik
    I noticed this recently on mine which also has auto function - (must be a common fault) when we had a cold spell it worked for a bit then after I drove off it went out. This amber illumination should light up when auto lights come on or swithced to auto as in picture!! should go red when auto not in use I'm wondering whether its the bulb that is faulty??

    Not sure how to fix as those switches are expensive and rare??


    Let me know if you find a solution as I have the same issue as you
    I'm having the exactly the same issue, forgot to mention it NEVER goes red anymore so may well be LED failure within the switch itself. Are the switches expensive then?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rudedaubin View Post
    Shouldn't the sidelights only light up green when you have them manually switched on? I know mines a B6 but when the switch is in Auto as in your picture the sidelights are lit up red. It looks to me like the switch has broken but I'm not sure how you'd check it.
    The sidelights are lit because the auto function switched the headlights on when the picture was taken.

    Quote Originally Posted by ultramodz View Post
    I have this issue - the illumination for the switch on the "auto" mode is flickering on/off randomly.

    I might whip the switch out and have a look. As far as I know, all switches are lit by LED, so it might be a connection that has worked loose, or needs re-soldering.
    Does your "AUTO" light up red when not in use (e.g. when you have manually switched to sidelights/headlights function).

    Quote Originally Posted by Richardesty View Post
    Some time ago my green side light bit didnt illuminate.... Audi replaced the whole switch, under warranty ������.

    Seems to me that the led has failed ������
    I don't it has completely failed as it does come on startup but goes out after a minute or when I drive off. Although saying that, it no longer illuminates red anymore.

    Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 27th July 2012, 00:16
  2. Auto light switch With Coming Home, help??
    By bruno901 in forum A3/S3/Sportback (8P Chassis)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 4th November 2010, 22:12
  3. Auto light switch, can somebody compare part numbers?
    By Ryanmt in forum A4/A4 cabriolet/S4 forum(B6 chassis)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 9th August 2010, 13:36
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18th September 2008, 10:19
  5. Head light switch illumination
    By adamgroves in forum A3/S3 Forum (8L Chassis)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2nd December 2006, 17:40

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO