Audi A4 2.0TDI 140 Hybrid turbo need help

44nas

Reaction score
hi, this is my first time posting on any forum so if i am doing anything wrong im sorry ive seen many users get slated on forums before :), i have a 2005 55 audi a4 2.0tdi 140 se with the BLB engine, now about a year ago i had my car remapped and 2 weeks later my turbo went pop, so i got my turbo reconditioned, mechanic took my turbo out i took it in to the turbo recon place and they got it back to me a few days later, the engine was full of oil and wasnt even turning over, my mechanic took all the oil out cleaned out pipes and something else which he said was full of oil, intercooler? i dont know what it was, anyway, the mechanic fitted the new recon turbo and straight away it blew again!, so once again i went back and got the turbo reconditioned free of charge of course, my mechanic once again fitted it made sure everything was clean and let the engine run for 5 hours to burn off any oil etc, when i finally got the car back i took it out for a spin and it ran as it should, the next day i took it to work which is 15 miles away i got onto the motorway and as soon as i hit 70 it went into limp mode i pulled over at services turned the car off and on again and it started working, again hit 70 and it went into limp mode, now i told the mechanic and he said just drive it, it wont do any harm, 5 months down the line and it was still doing the same thing, as dangerous as it might sound while driving at 70 in limp mode if i restarted the engine it would not go back into limp mode, so i just left it, over a month ago i took it on a long hard run 60 miles away and drove it hard the 60 miles back, restarted it so it was out of limp mode both times, anyway a day after that i got into the car to go to work and i looked on the dash and the engine management light had gone took it on the motorway and it wasnt going into limp mode! what a feeling, since then its been fine except it still does rarely go into a kind of limp mode its done it twice but both times it hasnt brought up any light and drives perfect after restarting, thats my story done and now the question i want to ask

when plugged into vcds it comes up with p0234 overboost condition

i know the guy from the company that reconditioned my turbo and because of all the troubles ive had and still having (rarely) hes offered to build me a another turbo this time using a different turbo and hes said he will upgrade it to a HYBRID for FREE

should i do it or carry on as i am?

if i do upgrade can i just fit it as i would a normal turbo and run it without doing anything?

if i have to get it mapped can i just get it mapped in a way where i dont need to change anything and if i do what kind of power gain would i be looking at?

if i have to change other parts what would they be and what is the bare minimum i would have to change? and what kind of power would i be looking at?

and if i was to change other parts to get maximum power what parts would they be? and what kind of power would i be then looking at?

a very long winded thread but i hope someone can help me
icon7.png

Thank you

Last edited:
With respect, have you even looked at the original remap to see what this is doing, with vcds/logs etc as sounds to me like its overboosting & if the turbo's been replaced & recon'd & you still have issues, you're just waiting for another big bang as such.

I would remove the map, test the car & see if it continues to go into limp, if not, then this helps to look at what the map is causing to make limp mode start.

Who mapped it in the beginning?

PS. Welcome to the site.

hi sorry i completely forgot to mention i had the remap removed after i had the turbo replaced it was awesome gti with the £150 map

TBH this is same story I read from someone else, your best bet is to get audi to reflash the ecu to stock so you know its completely clear of any outside involvement.

Then get the car logged by a professional with vcds, not backstreet garage, see if they can force limp & then diagnose where the issue is.

No point adding hybrid until you find what the problem is running stock, complete waste of time infact imho, until the problems currently are fixed, adding hybrid with potentially double the gains may cost you dearly later without fixing now.