A4. Tdi engine disaster

Hardworkingdad

Reaction score
I am new to this so hopefully posting correctly.

My Audi a4 avant 2.0 tdi 6 speed 05 reg lovely car, but what an expensive problem
firstly being a BLB engine we had to replace chain driven oil pump for gear drive about 3 years ago.

Now it died on A3 in fast lane, no warning, running perfectly, then stopped like key was turned off.
Turns out the cam belt has come slack, the tensioner has come off ! Or nearly off. The bolt that holds it pulled out of the cylinder head, threads gone. It's been in there 3 years ok, so why now?
the above has resulted in pistons hitting valves and breaking rollers, showering inside of engine with tiny rollers.
dont know if valves are damaged, don't know if we will ever find all rollers, and too risky to take chance we have got all them.
Big problem, not sure what to do.
Anyone had this before? Have read about one similar where bolt came loose, but this has damaged threads and pulled out.
Very expensive problem again, on car with about 80k miles. Not amused.

Last edited:
Text is a bit small mate lol.

Sorry to hear your news. Get a mechanic to check it. But looks like they will need to strip your engine first as other components may be damaged.

Hope you get resolved seems strange this has suddenly happened.

Hi thanks for reply, it is in independant garage I use, and I have an engineering service manager back ground. Still find it odd and annoying this has happened on what was supposed to be a quality car, but the more I find out about it, the less I think of it.

I think he was takeing the **** about the txt mate!

I wasnt actually, was meant in good spirits, it was tiny, now its huge lol.

Anyway sorry to hear of your misfortune again mate, thats a hard pill to swallow.

Hi Hardworkingdad...

I've just had the car repaired from exactly the same failure at 80mph, its apparently a common fault....something to do with the material of the bolt used and whether it was lock threaded at the time.....so my indie told me. My timing belt was changed 2 months ago...just before I picked up the car.

Valves do not bend, just all the rockers break !!!.....anything else you need to know just ask....

Because of this I had the head decoked as well as in the inlet, outlet manifold and egr.....resulting in no smoke whatsoever(it use to smoke before)...but my fuel consumption has taken a severe hit, 23.8mpg around town and 38mpg on a long run,which was hard work to achieve otherwise 35mpg. But I'm thinking this is probably to with it taking time to run in considering all the major engine work done.

Last edited:
Yep, had this exact problem myself. Pulled away at a roundabout and it died. cambelt tensioner bolt sheared off completely.
At less than 10mph it destroyed the rockers and bent all valves and put a hairline crack in the cylinder head.

Garage sent the head away to be reconditioned, replaced all valves and new cambelt kit. total repair bill £1450 :(
In the fast lane theres no way on this earth every single valve/rocker wouldnt be done for!

Doesn't leave me much hope with mine :(

Doesn't leave me much hope with mine :(

Just get the bolt changed and lock threaded......honestly...better safe than sorry.
My indie recalled all the belts he did and changed the bolt and re-lock threaded them.

I know he was talking to dealers about a change in materials for the bolt.

Tell tale signs are (well with mine anyway) the car was getting slightly harder to start that day

Last edited:
In the fast lane theres no way on this earth every single valve/rocker wouldnt be done for!

I dont know how..I got away with it....the reconditioners said they de-coked the head, skimmed it (as a precautionary measure) and changed all the rockers...all the valves were 100% straight:thumbsup:

Did your consumption suffer after the rebuild ?

Last edited: