Optimum wheel dimesions for B7 A4 avant Advice please

Molnboman

Reaction score
Hej Happy Holidays to you all!

I could do with some wheel size advice as I find it all a bit confusing. I am trying to find the correct wheel size for the B7 A4 Avant. Currently on 17" standard SE wheels and looking to up to 19". I have been told that the correct fitment size for 19's is 8.5 x ET 35 for the Avant. Can anyone confirm if this is correct, or tell me what you are running on wiith your 19" wheels on your Avant.

Tanks in advance,
Allan

Hi Allan

Merry Christmas to you too, hope you enjoyed a wonderful time.

I use 4 websites to look up wheel information -

This forum
Ebay
PCD 5x112 57.1 wheels -Wheel-Fitment.com - PCD, Offset and Center Bore data
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

Your standard 17" wheels will have the width & offset (ET) stamped on the rear of the wheel. The 5 spoke S Line 17"s off my car I just sold were 7.5" (7.5J) wide and had an offset ET of 45. Standard sized tyres were 235/45/17.

Do you wish to run spacers or not? If not, 19"s that are 8.5" would be the widest you should go for with a highest ET of 44 (back space 165mm, some tyres may still touch the front suspension). So ET35 alloys would stick out of the arches more. Back space (hub to inner rim) is 156mm, so pushing wheel further away from the suspension, which would be fine. Arch clearance would be fine too.

Tyre wise to run a similar revs/mile would be 235/35/19

Personally I think the car would look great but handle awfully, as the wheels would be far too heavy, would blunt acceleration & braking too. The tyres would make the car more uncomfortable. If you have ever read EVO Magazine, they say that 18"s always are the better option than the larger (& more popular) 19"s.

I run 18"s 9J ET52 with 15mm front spacers (so effective ET37, back space 165mm) and 20mm rear spacers (ET32). They stance nicely in non RS4 arches, fit perfectly with wide and still comfortable 245/40/18 tyres.

Happy New Year!

Alistair

Last edited:
Hej Alistair

Thanks for the links and detailed info. I will check all of this out. I am on the search for original ABT alloys to match my recent ABT kit I have fitted to my Bus. ABT alledgedly recommend 19's 8.5 x ET 35 as the best fit, and I am trying to suss out if this is actually correct or if there is a better option. The current original 17's behave really wheel especially on fresh Conti sport 5's, however, I fancy tring to keep the "tart up" all ABT and size wise trying to match up a set I find that they are all over the shop! As I know feck all about wheels, I am really struggling and I very much appreciate your help.

BTW I am happy to use spacers to whatever combination if it results in the best match between handling and looks.

Can you post some pics of your car and how your wheels sit. Have you standard suspension or mods.

Cheers
A

Last edited:
Hi Allan

I've already posted a thread if you remember commenting on? My car has standard sport suspension (as a Quattro).

As I described 19"s 8.5 x ET 35 would fit fine with no spacers. Buy them, fit and see, you can always add spacers to stance it better afterwards? With those ABT wheels, only a 3mm front spacer is required to push the wheel out to the same as mine in line with the arch.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/audi-s4-a4-a4-cab-b7-chassis/175652-my-red-a4-2-0-tfsi-quattro.html

If I lived in Sweden I wouldn't lower my car due to winter weather. Enjoy the sledging!!

Alistair

Cheers again, and thanks for the link...didn't connect that, that was your car! I have the Prosport chassis pack, so I think my car is lower than standard a few mmm anyway. The 17's don't look too bad on the car as it is. Like the idea of 18's for the cost and ride aspect, I have had Mates running standard Audi 19" wheels on their 2.0t's
(quattros though ) with no complaints...and I have no interest in lowering the sledge anymore especially after fitting the ABT lower lip! hehehehe

Happy Hogmanay
A