Squeaky Alternator Belt ?

Oddie

Reaction score
Morning all

My 2.0 TDI has started making a bit of a squeaking noise. It is definitely a belt squeaking. I sprayed some WD40 on the alternator belt at the front of the engine bay and it made the noise go away straight away but the next morning the noise returned. Does the belt just need replacing or could it be bearings causing the noise ?

Also, how difficult of a job is it to swap over the alternator belt ?

Cheers

Do you know how old the belt is? When was it last changed? Does it look like a browny colour compared to the normal black colour?

It won't be the bearings, if its a new belt it could be over tight causing the squeaking, if its old its just the material hardening causing the friction on the wheels rubbing together as the material get harder causing the squeak. I would replace the belt will probably cost no more than £20 for the belt. And half hour to fit it.

Hi Oddie.It could possibly be your aircon pulley.They have a clutch type pulley assembly and are known to fail..As for replacing your alternator belt i assume you have to take the whole front off the car.I could be wrong about that tho..Sorry I can,t be much more helpfull :wacko:

One way to do belt, which may or may not be suitable for the B7, is to get a spanner on the anchor of the belt tensioner, push this to the side as such which then slackens the belt enough to remove, then refit new one, test for sound next morning, most I know are able to be changed without the need for front of, but dont quote me on every single car :)