Sky InsuranceChris Nott
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: My red A4 2.0 TFSI Quattro

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    With winter just about arriving , I thought it best to upgrade my non-heated door mirrors with the heated type (8E0857536E drivers with blind spot £52.90, 8E0857535D passenger). I chose the non tinted glass version as the anti-dazzle tinted version (as fitted on S4s) were over £200 each - what a rip off! The heated ones do work very well, coming on with the rear demister, so useful on frosty mornings. Audi should have put these on as standard, that's cost cutting too far I think..
    Blimey, I didn't realise they were options. All of my A4s (two B5s. one B6 and a B7) had them, so I just took it for granted they were standard.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    With winter just about arriving , I thought it best to upgrade my non-heated door mirrors with the heated type (8E0857536E drivers with blind spot £52.90, 8E0857535D passenger £36.76). I chose the non tinted glass version as the anti-dazzle tinted version (as fitted on S4s) were over £200 each - what a rip off! The heated ones do work very well, coming on with the rear demister, so useful on frosty mornings. Audi should have put these on as standard, that's cost cutting too far I think..
    Al, you are absolutely right about about Audi having the mirrors heated as standard....along with a feckin battery / scuttle plate cover too! Remember thinking someone had nicked something out of my engine bay the first time I lifted the Bonnet! hehe

BR
    Allan

Engine knackered!!

Status
    I thought it about time I updated this thread, I've been busy with the mods since my last post.

Got some sticky Yokohama AD08 tyres for summer alloys, which has transformed the handling. These are so amazing I may never buy normal summer tyres again, track tyres are best! Seems the local wildlife find these nice and warm after a drive too...

Had enough of the naff OEM fake aluminium fish scale trim (binned it!), fitting genuine RS4 carbon fibre trims instead. Modded my single DIN console to suit the double DIN flat front ashtray. Much better!

Took a trip to Revo Technik in Daventry to buy a Stasis stainless exhaust system (yet to be fitted) for just £450!

Off to V Hub Tewkesbury tomorrow for some engine work, to be continued!
    Revo Steve-W likes this.
    Audi A4 B7 2004 red 2.0 TFSI Quattro Sport saloon, Servotronic steering, MFSW, CDIS, DRL with Coming Home, auto dual xenon lights/wipers/mirrors, split folding rear seats, 3rd headrest, centre armrest, Isofix mounts, RS4 rear ARB, pedals & carbon dash trims; Audi TTS 9Jx18alloys (2 sets), Yokohama AD08 summer, Conti TS830P winter 245/40/18 tyres, TPI 15/20 spacers/lockers, Pipercross filter, GFB DV+ turbo valve, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Osram Silverstar Xenarc D1S bulbs. Build thread

Engine knackered!!

Status
    So I visited V Hub in Tewkesbury today, for the first time, following Revo Steve-W's recommendation after buying the exhaust. Thanks Steve, your advice was much appreciated. Graham, Mike and the guys were very welcoming and professional, which was great, plus of course know the TFSI engines very well, servicing, tuning (they're a Revo dealer) and selling VAG cars. Contact them on 01684 214444 or here's a link to their website - Used Cars Tewkesbury, Used Car Dealer in Gloucestershire | V Hub Ltd

My car needed an oil change, plus the oil leak fixing once and for all. In advance I bought a genuine VAG oil filter (06D115562 £13.66), oil cooler gasket (again, 06D117070 £10.24), oil housing gasket (06F115441 £11.12), plus V Hub supplied an turbo oil feed gasket (£2.42). From Awesome GTI I bought an ECS billet aluminium oil filter housing (ES2210310 £60), an ECS magnetic sump drain plug (ES5386 £12). Plus I also bought a APR snub front engine mount (SM100004 £34.80).

With the engine supported, the front engine subframe had to be dropped (taking several hours due to stiff bolts!), just to remove the sump to gain access to the oil pickup pipe. Turns out the Audi supplied part 06B115251B was wrong part, so the existing one was removed and cleaned out. They found some metal swarf (from CNC machining at Audi's factory from new!), plus other deposits. So well worth the effort! Oil supply, so pressure should be much better now, helping the engine life for sure. The oil pump chain, tensioner and general engine condition was checked and found to be fine luckily, so in good health which is reassuring. The oil filter, cooler and cooler housing were then removed (along with loads more oil) and cleaned out. The seals were replaced and refitted and the engine put back together, along with fresh oil (longlife 5W30) and G12 coolant, plus the aircon regassed. The old snub mount was loose enough just to fall out, the new APR one took great effort to fit onto the mount, but eventually was refitted. The whole job took 6.5 hours over the whole day, Graham helping me with a very reasonable final bill. The guys worked late, finishing well after normal closing time, to allow the my driving home this evening. So a big thanks to all. The car drove well home, the engine feeling much better, no oil leaks so far, plus the snub mount stiffened up the gear changes nicely, with only minor additional vibration. Result! I'll be back to V Hub in future for sure.

Last edited by Big Al; 25th April 2014 at 00:22.
    Revo Steve-W likes this.
    Audi A4 B7 2004 red 2.0 TFSI Quattro Sport saloon, Servotronic steering, MFSW, CDIS, DRL with Coming Home, auto dual xenon lights/wipers/mirrors, split folding rear seats, 3rd headrest, centre armrest, Isofix mounts, RS4 rear ARB, pedals & carbon dash trims; Audi TTS 9Jx18alloys (2 sets), Yokohama AD08 summer, Conti TS830P winter 245/40/18 tyres, TPI 15/20 spacers/lockers, Pipercross filter, GFB DV+ turbo valve, NGK BKR7EIX plugs, Osram Silverstar Xenarc D1S bulbs. Build thread

1st Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add Revo Steve-W on Facebook
    Great feedback for V-Hub!

So when are you popping back to get the exhaust fitted and Revo software loaded and set up? unlock the true protential of that 2.0 TFSI

Engine knackered!!

Status
    Hi Steve, simply when I can afford to! Got an MOT in a couple of weeks first, then onwards with the tuning. Can't wait!
    Revo Steve-W likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Hi Al

Are they any special tools that are needed to drop the sump etc? Been meaning to change my pick up! Only thing i can see in ElsaWIN is a long hex key to reach 3 sump bolts via some holes in the fly?

Cheers
    Tom

Yorkshire & Humber Rep.

Status
    theres a bolt or 2 you cant get to
    but if you look there you can remove a piece of metel that gives you enough room to get in there
    so grinder out

Engine knackered!!

Status
    I've no idea, that's why V Hub did the work for me. It's a very messy job with lots of cleaning required for sure!

Engine knackered!!

Status
    Hi again everyone. My oil leaks persist and I'm not sure what to do!

Audi Solihull & Coventry plus V Hub Tewkesbury have already worked on the car. I thought the small oil leaks after the visit to V Hub were trapped oil seeping from front subframe following the major oil servce. I cleaned it all up but still lots more oil keeps appearing underneath. I've now spent loads of money trying to fix it without success. I was thinking next of going to MRC Tuning, Awesome GTI, PSI Tuning, JBS or Unit 20 to have it fixed.

Can anyone recommend the best garage to visit?

Engine knackered!!

Status
    Oil leaks gone! Last weekend I drove back from Wales in torrential rain, literally the hardest downpours I've seen all my life. Anyway, it appeared to clean the oil off underneath so well, I can't see any leaks at all now. So it looks like there was still oil inside the front subframe, which only now has completely washed out. Which means I can at last get my shiny new Stasis exhaust fitted and get it remapped. The car has a fresh MOT too now.

Neutral

Status
    Hi Big Al, just been reading through this thread and its been a great 1st read to be honest.
    Your A4 looks really good and i like the sound of the mods you have carried as far. I am new to the Audi driving experience and have only had my A4 for 3 days but they have been great as far.
    I would like to tryout the turbo bypass mod as you have discussed but will need to wait for a little while as my A4 is covered by 12mths approved used audi warranty, so best not start disturbing any bits yet.
    I do want to change my wheels thought, but as yet cant find the right items to compliment the car. it came with 15 spoke 18" alloys with 235/40 on so i'll need to get something else in same dia rim as tyres are new.

cheers
    rob
    Last edited by A4Rob; 13th June 2014 at 22:16.

5th Gear

Status
    is the snub mount an easy job? does that stop the gearstick moving back and forth so much with gear changes etc then as mine may need upgrading
    Current - 2006 B7 A4 S Line Saloon 2.0T TFSI Special Edition, Unicorn stage 1 remap, Metallic Dolphin Grey, 18" TTRS Rotors, Ferrari Red front/rear Calipers, 3.5" Powerflow tailpipes, BOSE, Cupra R splitter, Chrome grille slats, S4 Mirror covers, Black/silver leather interior, Debadged, Arm rest delete, LED plate lights, Dectane LED Red/Crystal tail lights, HID 6k, RS 4 pedals, Rev D D/V, APR snub mount, NGK 7s

Gone - 2005 B7 A4 Avant 2.0 TDI

Engine knackered!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Rob View Post
    Hi Big Al, just been reading through this thread and its been a great 1st read to be honest.
    Your A4 looks really good and i like the sound of the mods you have carried as far. I am new to the Audi driving experience and have only had my A4 for 3 days but they have been great as far.
    I would like to tryout the turbo bypass mod as you have discussed but will need to wait for a little while as my A4 is covered by 12mths approved used audi warranty, so best not start disturbing any bits yet.
    I do want to change my wheels thought, but as yet cant find the right items to compliment the car. it came with 15 spoke 18" alloys with 235/40 on so i'll need to get something else in same dia rim as tyres are new.

cheers
    rob
    Hi Rob, thanks for the positive feedback. Well done for buying your car, hope you enjoy driving it for many years! If I were you I'd remove and check your turbo bypass solenoid valve anyway (just 3 bolts and a plug) to see what condition and revision you have. You could also check on the warranty if it covers it and if so, have Audi change it for you. Then you'll definately have boost in the meantime, then after 12 months be able to fit the DV+ valve end to the Audi solenoid and improve the driveability too. Also regards alloys, the S4 B7 has 8J (8") ET47 8T0601025A with 235/40/18 tyres, looking just like my summer ones but not needing the spacers (so warranty friendly).

It's worth you starting a new thread with your car, introducing yourself and your A4 to us with pics of course! Familiarise yourself with the technical bits if you can to save yourself money in future at a garage!

Kind Regards Alistair
    Last edited by Big Al; 15th June 2014 at 13:53.

Engine knackered!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Av4nt View Post
    is the snub mount an easy job? does that stop the gearstick moving back and forth so much with gear changes etc then as mine may need upgrading
    Very easy, a garage did mine as it was removed anyway to get the sump off. Just support the engine sump with a trolley jack and piece of wood, remove the 3 bolts, remove the metal brace bar, remove the snub bush, boiling water heat the new one, fit on brace bar, refit and bolt back up, remove jack and enjoy better gearchanges as the whole engine/gearbox/trans now is held better.....

Engine knackered!!

Status
    Time for an update! I visited the GTI International Show, Stratford on Sunday with Joe (Jojo) and visited the APR stand to discuss a remap. Next minute I've signed up with Awesome GTI for an APR HPFP upgrade, stage 2+ remap and rolling road session for a discounted show rate of £830!

Stock 197 bhp / 206 lb/ft
    Stage 2+ 272 bhp / 325lb/ft

That's more like it!

The plan was to fit the Stasis exhaust in the next month then travel up for the remap work. However after blatting home fast from the show yesterday following Joe in his S3 (who lives nearby), I nipped out to the park and back for my son. Just as I pulled into my road coming home, the engine started clattering. Oops. On drive I pulled off the HPFP and checked the cam follower for excessive wear or damage but it seemed okay. I then realised the dreaded cam chain tensioner must have failed.
    So game over, car needs fixing again!!

So today on the phone to Audi and Awesome GTI, plus lots of research to work out what parts are needed. Hopefully ordering tomorrow, have the car transported Weds (taking exhaust too), fixed & tuned in time for the weekend. On the buses in the meantime!

Once I've completed the parts list and had the work done, I'll update again. Wish me luck!

Last edited by Big Al; 3 Weeks Ago at 21:23.

Engine knackered!!

Status
    Nope, engine looking knackered. I give up!

Neutral

Status
    sorry to hear this, is it deffo a bin job....

just out of interest, is this a general failure due to wear & tear or failure of parts due to tuning beyond standard spec, curious as a was thinking of getting some work done engine wise in the near future but cant help thinking the safe limit for engine tuning is pretty well around the 220bhp i allready have .

rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12