help with springs??

bizzab7

Reaction score
i have a 57 a4 1.9tdi s line and it failed an mot today due to a snapped rear coil spring.was told the price of a new spring was £70 plus £50 for fitting and i couldnt help but think its was a bit "harsh" for 1 spring.got me thinking about buying a set of h&r lowering springs for £175 and fit them myself.
Was wondering if you guys think think you get a better ride with lowered springs(think i would have 40mm all round) or if the s line springs would be best?i know it would look better lowered as there is a gap between my arches and the wheels but wouldnt want to affect the ride comfort by lowering.
Any info would be appreciated

SEARCH!

Yes, the standard ride is pretty poor on s-line springs, aftermarket decent springs will improve ride quality, as well as give a better stance

i have searched and i have my own opinion,but hearing from people who have have the worked done usually tends to help!

I can't say for H & R spring, but I have had Eibach springs in my Audi and they were brilliant, rode slightly lower, sharper handling. Although I hear that H & R are top quality springs...I know in the Mercedes forums they are all praises for them.

thanks for the reply pistonripper,ended up just gettin a new s line spring fitted as i just wanted the mot out the way.did want it lowered but just wanted the mot out the way.hoping my new 19" rs4s willl fill the gap instead when i get tyres for them

thanks for the reply pistonripper,ended up just gettin a new s line spring fitted as i just wanted the mot out the way.did want it lowered but just wanted the mot out the way.hoping my new 19" rs4s willl fill the gap instead when i get tyres for them

If you're fitting 19s i'd be even more inclined to lower it!

I had Eibach's on my old R32, and i have H&R's on my S4.. ride and stance are very similar.. talk to Damian at DPM on here, he should be able to advise whats best for you.

goose

I second what g00se says. I got a set of Eibach lowering springs from Damian at DPM about three weeks ago. Top class information and service, and the car sits, handles and rides so much better than before.

I fitted H&R springs on my s-line. They quote 40mm drop but as the s-line is already lower it dropped by about 20mm. I like the fact it still looks OEM but handling is definitely sharper and the MRS hasn't noticed any difference in ride comfort lol

I've got H&Rs, 30mm (because they don't do any lower for the cab), and the ride and handling is improved from stock. Coming from s-line setup.

Also went to 19"s at the same time, and I think the standard suspension with 19" would be pretty bad...

think i will just get a set of lowering springs then as it seems everyone is agreeing its worth it.do u still have space after the drop and 19s jj?was thinking of lowering 40mm but dont want any rubbing

i have lowered mine on eibach sportsline 40/50 mm drop on my 56 plate s line and i am running 19 wheels with 45 offset and 15mm hubcentric spacers on rear 235/35x19 tyres ,the ride is much better than standard s line springs and i have had no issues at all with rubbing

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

Torn between the eibach 40/50 and the H&R 35's. So you have no rubbing if you have passengers in the rear?

As davsa4 said, you can get away with a 45mm drop with no rubbing issues. To be completely honest I'd like mine a bit lower, but I didn't think coilovers were necessary for my purposes and 30mm was the biggest drop I could find. Not sure if that's because mine is a cab or a 3.0tdi?? But it sits much better and rides a lot smoother than standard.

Torn between the eibach 40/50 and the H&R 35's. So you have no rubbing if you have passengers in the rear?
i
have had 5 adults in my car with no rubbing issues

davsa4 car looks spot on.alloys look excellent with the way your car sits.torn between eibach and h&r now

A couple of pics of my car just after my H&R's were fitted, they have dropped a shade more now, first is with 19" wheels 2nd with 18's. No spacers as yet but will hopefully get them fitted soon. I test drove a car with Eibachs and don't think there's any difference at all between them and H&R's regarding comfort, both are much better than S line springs.

PB243089.jpg

PB243107.jpg

I've gone for H&R's in the end, just got them today off DPM. Thought they were going to take another week to come :)

Lucky really as I think one of the rear springs has gone as you can hear the rear tyre rubbing when doing 70 :(

Only managed to install the new rear H&R -35mm springs owing to the faff we had with our non-standard spring compressors, there wasn't a lot of room behind the wheel! So this is my car with stock springs at the front. Obviously the new springs haven't had chance to settle yet. Just have in mind the before pictures were of my shot rear springs:

IMG_8896.jpg

IMG_8897.jpg

After:
IMG_8901.jpg
IMG_8904.jpg

Hmmmm, now it seems every so often the fronts are rubbing. I assume the stronger springs at the back are doing that. Maybe I'll have to put them on sooner rather than later.

i have lowered mine on eibach sportsline 40/50 mm drop on my 56 plate s line and i am running 19 wheels with 45 offset and 15mm hubcentric spacers on rear 235/35x19 tyres ,the ride is much better than standard s line springs and i have had no issues at all with rubbing

IMG_1577.jpg

IMG_1546.jpg

IMG_1544.jpg

Car looks spot on! What width are your wheels Dav?

I'm looking to run a similar setup and just bought a pair of B5 spring perches so looking to fit some lowering springs at the same time as I hear it improves ride quality, handing and looks much nicer.

My current setup is as follows:

Wheels = 19" A6 Le Mans Edition 8.5j ET48
Tyres = Vredestein Ultrac Vorti 235/35/R19 Y

15mm spacers on rear (ET33) and in the process of putting 5mm spacers up front (ET43) as I am getting rubbing on full lock without them.

As I have a 3.0 TDI Quattro, I am limited to the following options available on the DPM website:

- AP 35mm @ £158.75
- APEX 40mm @ £124.00
- Eibach Pro 30mm @ £189.00
- H&R 45mm @ £186.00
- Vogtland Sport 30mm @ £190.00
- Weitec F-Series by KW 35mm @ £217.00

Quite a few options as you can see and most people seem to go for Eibach/H&R from what I've seen. I want something that will give me the most improved ride and also won't affect the life of the S-Line shocks (leaning towards Eibach 30mm in particular here). Baring in mind I will have B5 perches fitted up front (15-20mm lower) and it is on S-Line suspension (20mm lower than standard).

Would you say the Eibach's would offer better ride quality than the H&R's as it is only a 30mm drop as opposed to 45mm?

Thanks in advance, Azeem.

A couple of pics of my car just after my H&R's were fitted, they have dropped a shade more now, first is with 19" wheels 2nd with 18's. No spacers as yet but will hopefully get them fitted soon. I test drove a car with Eibachs and don't think there's any difference at all between them and H&R's regarding comfort, both are much better than S line springs.

PB243089.jpg

PB243107.jpg

Alex how low did u go?

Azeem

wheels are 8.5x19 with an offset of et 45 ,rears have 15mm spacers so in theory et30 ,springs are eibach sportsline 45mm front(25mm on s line) 35mm rear (15mm on s line) ,drives much better than standard s line springs did

if you fit eibachs pros on yours it will only sit 10mm lower than standard as slines are 20mm lower than standard ,as for h7r i have never run them so cant comment but have heard good reports from people who have .

dav

Azeem

wheels are 8.5x19 with an offset of et 45 ,rears have 15mm spacers so in theory et30 ,springs are eibach sportsline 45mm front(25mm on s line) 35mm rear (15mm on s line) ,drives much better than standard s line springs did

if you fit eibachs pros on yours it will only sit 10mm lower than standard as slines are 20mm lower than standard ,as for h7r i have never run them so cant comment but have heard good reports from people who have .

dav

Thanks, Dav.

Any issues up front with that offset? I'm getting some rubbing on the arch liners on full lock with ET48. In the process of fitting some 5mm spacers (ET43) to try get rid of it.

I'm looking at getting Eibach 40/50 springs, has anyone got a pic fitted with 18's on.

Thanks, Dav.

Any issues up front with that offset? I'm getting some rubbing on the arch liners on full lock with ET48. In the process of fitting some 5mm spacers (ET43) to try get rid of it.

no issues at all mate

dav

I'm looking at getting Eibach 40/50 springs, has anyone got a pic fitted with 18's on.

I test drove this car before I got mine. It has the 40/50 set up and 18" wheels but with B5 perches and 20mm spacers on the rear, it rubbed slightly on the rear due to the spacers.

PA033002.jpg

PA032999.jpg

I test drove this car before I got mine. It has the 40/50 set up and 18" wheels but with B5 perches and 20mm spacers on the rear, it rubbed slightly on the rear due to the spacers.

Cheers fella, looks spot on

Yip 19's. I'm not sure where H&R get the 35mm from, in every picture I've seen they look way lower and similar height to the 40/50 Eibachs.

I looked at many pictures of the Eibachs vs the H&R and they are very similar. I have still yet to put the front springs on but the rear is nice and low with no rubbing. They are better than the stock and provide less harshness over bumps.

Yip 19's. I'm not sure where H&R get the 35mm from, in every picture I've seen they look way lower and similar height to the 40/50 Eibachs.

Yeh that stance looks much lower than 35mm looks more like a 50mm drop all round. I love them wheels but i am stuck between these wheels and the S4 ones.

If i get 19s do i need to get spacers for the rears? What ones do i go for, and will i get any rubbing on a full car?

I dont have an S-Line but i have this exact model in black and i love the stance on the below;

STUIWHITE's car
BBS Lm with 40mm

I want these wheels in 19s
Koni eibach 18s

Last edited:
I would go for H&R 45mil drop had them fitted recentley along with RS4 ARB to my Quattro 3.0 TDI saloon. The car sits just right and they will settle and drop a little bit more i'm told. There is about 1.5 finger gap all around on 18's 19's going on soon.
  1. Ride comfort much improved,
  2. First thing I noticed, the ride less crashy smoother over bumps
  3. Car seems more leveled out and sterdy
  4. Stance is better
Would recommend

Hope this helps.

Thanks, Dav.