Fans not turning off 3l tdi

JD09

I'm not modding, I'm improving
VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post in this section - my father has a 2006 3l tdi avant. Recently the drivers side fan won't turn off when the ignition is switched off, thus draining the battery when parked up.

Quick search brought up a few posts about the temp sensor malfunctioning and going into safe mode I.e. constant cooling? Can you helpful bunch shed any light on this?

Many thanks from a lowly 8l s3 owner ;)

I'm presuming you mean engine fan?

Not heard of this before... but scan it for fault codes and see if one of the sensors is giving a bad reading. Hopefully it will just be a simple replacement of a sensor

Apologies, yes the engine fan. There are two and only drivers side is on so wondered if this pointed to something specific. Sadly I don't have my lead, might have to take it to a garage to get it scanned.

When you say 'won't turn off' does it stay on until you start it again, ie. next morning?
I'm sure my fans stay on after the engine is off until it's happy the engine is cool enough then it switches itself off. Normally only for a few minutes when hot.

Unfortunately not - it runs indefinitely, until the battery is dead.

Hi, on a previous car (not audi) narrowed down a similar problem to a dodgy fan switch/thermostat which kept the fan running on.

Thanks for this. Going to get a mechanic to look at it to make sure as I don't have my vcds.