DRL Headlights Queries

Oddie

Reaction score
So how will these lights differ from xenon lights for example? Do these just use the same standard halogen bulbs that my standard lights use ? If that is the case i am assuming that they are not projector lights then ?

Thanks for replying, much appreciated

They are projector headlights. What bulbs you put in them is up to you. But HIDs aren't technically road legal unless they are self levelling and you have headlight washers. You can fit normal halogen H7 bulbs or H7 HIDs into those housings, choice is yours.

So if i was to fit a H7 HID bulb, would i need ballasts to go with them or do they just operate the same way as halogens ? If i did fit them with standard halogen bulbs then i wouldn't need levelling motors and headlight washers would I ?

Brilliant, thanks for clarifying. Just one more thing, just noticed that the do the same headlights but for slightly cheaper. The only difference i can see if that the dearer ones say "with servomotor"

Is the servomotor the auto levelling motor ? If so, i wouldn't need this if i just use standard halogen bulbs ?

To be honest I don't think any of them actually come with motors (but I could be wrong)

On your dash there is a little knob which can be used to angle the headlights up and down slightly (for use when carrying a full load and the front of the car points more upwardss) to avoid blinding other drivers. Having just taken my FK headlights apart (supposedly 'with motors') I can see gearing in the headlight to potentially allow for the OEM motor to be removed from the original headlights & installed onto the FK ones, but haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I believe from looking at it the same white hex nut which you turn to adjust the height manually is also adjusted by the motor. Where the motor comes from i am not 100% sure. I assumed that the english/german translation isn't brilliant and they wouldn't come with motors but that they would be ready to accept motors from the original headlights.

If anyone ever bothers to reply to my thread about indicator bulbs... I'll let you know what happen when I finally get around to fitting the headlights.

Fantastic information once again pal. So you have bought some from FK as well ? I am assuming that the ones I mentioned earlier will be setup for RHD ?

Oh, no this isn't the 'auto levelling motor'. If it's automatic it needs gyroscopes etc to automatically work out the angle of the car and adjust the headlight automatically. It could poeentially use the same motor, but I'm not sure?

Adaptive bi-xenons adjust beam pattern based on speed and angle of the car, which is much more advanced that just an adjustment motor.

I did yeah, although I got the angel eye ones as personally I don't like the A5 DRL style.

They can be changed RHD or LHD, there's a metal level inside the housing, easy enough to reach but better to be doe before fitting to the car

Yeah that makes sense. Really tempted to go ahead and order them now as they seem remarkably cheap ! My only reservation is around removing the bumper to fit them, don't want to damage the bumper fitting them :(

I've read it's failry straight foward, perhaps an extra pair of hands may be useful when repositioning, but I can't see it being very difficult. 2 out of 5 in a 'spanner' rating at most!

Alternatively you could get a garage to fit them, maybe an hours labour? But for the cost I'd do it yourself... There are plenty of write ups if you search. Infact there's a sticky at the top of the B7 forum...

I am more than confident doing it myself but i have recently just had my bumper re painted so just don't want to damage it. Just being a bit of a wimp really ! I think i may order them !

Go for it. Although I wouldn't expect to recieve them until the new year now as they ship from Germany...

Just put a sheet down, you'll be fine!

i am also looking to get these headlights as they do seem a bargain.was going to get the more expensive auto levelling ones but to be honest its not going to make a difference as i dont have washers to make hids legal so the cheaper option it is.as for getting the bumper off its pretty straightforward as long as you have the front end up and both wheels off.recently done it to install an rs4 grill but it is quite time consuming

Wheels shouldn't need to come off to remove the bumper... You only need to get at some screws in the arches...

Also FK headlights aren't 'auto-levelling', as covered above

they dont have to come off but it makes life so much easier.for the sake of 5 mins to get the wheels off i would defo reccomend

as for auto levelling that wasnt what i meant.was talking about headlight adjustment...my bad

Just ordered these this morning, can't wait for them to arrive. Any idea how long delivery should take ?

Last edited:
I did yeah, although I got the angel eye ones as personally I don't like the A5 DRL style.

They can be changed RHD or LHD, there's a metal level inside the housing, easy enough to reach but better to be doe before fitting to the car

Are you talking about these ones jjmurphy?
Tuning FK Automotive | Headlight Angel Eyes Set suitable for Audi A4 (type 8E) yr. 05-07 chrome | purchase online
Im thinking of buying a set and wondering if they will be okay for our RHD cars, what you think?

Delivery of mine took about a week and a half I think? And that was fairly close to Xmas. Would recommend you allow 2 weeks but you might be lucky enough to see them in a week...