Engine belt changing things to do on a 2.0t?

Molnboman

Reaction score
Right Boys and Girls...am gonna have the bus's bumper off later next month and thought feck it...while I am in there I might as well change the cam belt, water pump, serpentine belt etc as I am not sure I believe they were done by the previous owner when he said they were. Is there anythin else I should be looking at changing over? Is their a chain tensioner at the back of the engine that needs replacing too? I have read some posts about belts or chains at the back of these 2.0t engines which don't make the engine any less rattly. Is the cam belt tensioner up for changing as well....could do with some feedback, as if I do this...I don't want to be touching this ****** engine again for at least twelve months! hahaha Part numbers and description would be really helpful. BTW Car has done 192,000kms. 2.0t 200bhp engine. Cars running well at moment and oil an filter done every 6,000 mile and recently done plugs, all filters, dv, thermostat.

Cheers
A

always replace the cambelt with the following new tensioner new rollers and guides and 100% new water pump normally you can buy a complete cambelt kit all is included in it!! dont worry about the v belt also known as the fan belt unless its badly worn

I'd change the thermostat too.

Changed my timing belt 1.5 years / 15,000 miles ago and it's now begun to fail (opening too early).

Now have to try and save the coolant and refill with it after I do the job (too cheap to buy new fluid).

G.

Thanks for the replies...the thermostat was done a few weeks back.....is there not stuff at the back end that needs attention though?

BR
A

There's a variable inlet adjuster on the chain driving the inlet cam from the exhaust cam at the back of the camshafts. I believe it gets noisy due to oil starvation if the oil pickup in the sump clogs up with sludge. I'd suggest dropping the sump cover to check it. Think the sealant is £20 from VAG.

Also, check your HPFP (high pressure fuel pump) camshaft follower.