Badger5Sky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Exclamation Another paranoid about funny noises post!!

Having searched the forums I'm still not confident I have a reliable answer to my question.

I have a 2.0TFSI on an 07 plate that was remapped a couple of years ago. The car runs as sweet as a nut and other than normal servicing it has been reliable and quick with it . Over the last 12 months I noticed when I first started the car the exhaust appeared to be blowing. This was only while the engine was cold and once up to temperature it appeared to settle. Having checked the exhaust and found no fault I left it alone.

Just resently the car appears to be sounding more roarty and fuel economy appears to be suffering. Now I'm used to it not been economical, especially when I drive enthusiastically but i'm losing 5+ mpg on my average. I've had the exhaust checked by a garage and ago no sign of any issues.

I've read posts about faulty diaphrams and replacement DV's but all suggest a loss in performance caused by a lack of boost which I'm not seeing. Can anyone else shed any light on possible causes or is paranoia from reading too many forums common?
    A4 (07) 2.0T FSI S Line - Dolphin Grey

Mods: Remap, DIS, Washer Bottle sensor, AUX Input, Ambient Light, Puddle/Warning Lights, Aftermarket SATNAV/DVD, VAG-COM Tweaks.

Future Mods:
    B5 Caps, H&R Springs, 19's

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    The reduction in fuel economy could just be seasonal. Diesels are very inefficient until they're fully warmed up, and at this time of year, the cold starts and longer warm-up times do have an adverse effect on economy.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    D'oh! Ignore me. I've just realised it's a 2.0TFSi, not a 2.0TDi!

I'll get my coat....
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

5th Gear

Status
    How is your water temp gauge? Is it it bang on ninety or dropped slightly when warmed up? I was losing a lot of mpg when my thermostat chucked it.... My 2.0t exhaust,sounds noisier on start up almost until the auto choke or whatever you call it cuts off and it goes back to normal. Changing the cv is cheap fix and should be done anyway if yours has not been updated with the latest version. Not sure that this would reduce the mpg....don't think it did with mine.
    Keep us posted.

BR
    A
    Last edited by Molnboman; 18th December 2012 at 07:52.

1st Gear

Status
    Hi Yorkster001.Just to let you know that you are not the only one to notice the rumbling of your exhaust on start up I also have a 2.0tfsi 220bhp and it does this as well.I assume it,s the choke that makes it do this noise.If I am wrong please let me know..Cheers buddy..

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Molnboman View Post
    How is your water temp gauge? Is it it bang on ninety or dropped slightly when warmed up? I was losing a lot of mpg when my thermostat chucked it.... My 2.0t exhaust,sounds noisier on start up almost until the auto choke or whatever you call it cuts off and it goes back to normal. Changing the cv is cheap fix and should be done anyway if yours has not been updated with the latest version. Not sure that this would reduce the mpg....don't think it did with mine.
    Keep us posted.

BR
    A
    Thanks for you response, maybe it is just me been paranoid! I'll keep an eye on it over winter and check the therostat as suggested. Like you say it could be the auto choke and colder weather affecting both the exhaust and the MPG. Going to change the CV to a type D in the new year to pre-empt any possible issues there. Cheers
    A4 (07) 2.0T FSI S Line - Dolphin Grey

Mods: Remap, DIS, Washer Bottle sensor, AUX Input, Ambient Light, Puddle/Warning Lights, Aftermarket SATNAV/DVD, VAG-COM Tweaks.

Future Mods:
    B5 Caps, H&R Springs, 19's