Sky InsuranceBadger5
    1st Gear

Status

£2.2k to get balancer shaft system replaced on my 2005 2.0 TDi B7...fair price?

Hi

The following is the quotation from my local Audi Dealer (Inverness) to get the balance shaft system replaced on my 2005 2.0 TDi A4 - BLB. Its done 62k and not had any problems with it (bought from new) but i know its only a matter of time before the oil pump/balancer shaft system goes tits up. Back in May they quoted me £1550, 2 days ago they said it would be £1800 and now they're saying Its £2222. Can this be right? Cheers
    image01.jpg
    image02.jpg

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Caerdydd, Cardiff, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Try another stealer they vary a lot.
    06 A4 AVANT QUATTRO 2.0T S-LINE SE,GARNET RED, RS4 REAR ARB,SPACERS ALLROUND,H & R SPRINGS,B5 PERCHES,A6 V8 RIMS.PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO S SIX POTS .REVO ST2 MAP ,MILLTEK CATBACK EXHAUST,PANEL FILTER,034 INTAKE PIPE.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by psychopomp1 View Post
    Hi

The following is the quotation from my local Audi Dealer (Inverness) to get the balance shaft system replaced on my 2005 2.0 TDi A4 - BLB. Its done 62k and not had any problems with it (bought from new) but i know its only a matter of time before the oil pump/balancer shaft system goes tits up. Back in May they quoted me £1550, 2 days ago they said it would be £1800 and now they're saying Its £2222. Can this be right? Cheers
    image01.jpg
    image02.jpg
    I had my BLB Chain driven unit replaced with the gear driven oil pump/balance shaft assembly 12 months ago at Teesside Audi.
    The Dealer gave me 50% off labour and 20% off parts and no independant could match his price. In the end I had the new unit fitted, bearing shells replaced and a new water pump and timing belt kit all supplied and installed for just £2053.60 if my memory is correct.
    I would therefore say the price you have been quoted is OK and a lot less than some of the southern based main dealers have been quoting.

1st Gear

Status
    Thanks chaps, i'll give Aberdeen Audi & Perth Audi a call in the am and see what they charge. Very tempting to get it done for around half the cost here but would prefer to use Genuine Audi parts and have someone a bit closer to home to take my car to if i have porblems.

Neutral

Status
    I have a 56 plate 2.0tdi will mine have the blb engin with these problems????

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithy ov c.ham View Post
    I have a 56 plate 2.0tdi will mine have the blb engin with these problems????
    It's pretty likely but remember there are probably lots of BLB-engined models out there that haven't broke. It's just you never get to hear about them.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

5th Gear

Status
    It would be unusual for you to have a 56 plate BLB's as they were mostly 05 plates. However, your engine will have the same hex shaft issues that dog the 2.0 TDI range.
    Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B7 View Post
    I had my BLB Chain driven unit replaced with the gear driven oil pump/balance shaft assembly 12 months ago at Teesside Audi.
    After a lot of dilly dallying decided to get the work done at Highland Audi next week, their price (£2.2k) was pretty good cos other dealers were charging more.

Now once the balancer shaft is replaced to a gear driven one, should i expect the engine to run slightly different? Or should there be no changes at all? Anything to look out for? The parts/work is guaranteed for 2 years but i would rather they do it correctly first time. Feeling a bit nervous!

5th Gear

Status
    I noticed the engine slightly quieter after the conversion, nothing else.
    Nathan

Red Audi A4 B7 S-Line with Leather/Alcantara interior

Current Mods: Painted Brake Calipers, Gear-driven oil shaft assembly, RS4 grille, Debadged, B8 MFSW, Cruise Control, RS4-style Fog Surrounds, Satin Black Cupra R Splitter, RS4 RARB, Clear Corner headlights, 2011 RNS-e, MTEC Drilled and Grooved Brake Discs.

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrath View Post
    I noticed the engine slightly quieter after the conversion, nothing else.
    I agree with Wrath, the engine runs quieter ( in my case much quieter !) after the conversion.

Paul B7

1st Gear

Status
    Just had my car back from Audi and its had the oil pump/balancer shaft system replaced. Managed to haggle the price down to £1.9k from £2.2k...not that i was happy paying anything in the first place considering its a design fault Anyway, after starting the engine i've not noticed any change...if anything the engine sounds a touch more 'diesely'. But other than that the car runs fine. Now i can sleep well at night