TFSi Intake Manifold Flap 06F 133 482 - What's it do ???

Scott.T

Reaction score
Took the Throttle body/motor off today to give it a clean out and noticed another motor unit towards the rear of the intake manifold.
This has the P/N 06F 133 482 and appears to be called a 'Intake Manifold Flap'.

Can anybody explain what this does, when it operates and what the symptons are likley to be on a faulty or dirty unit.
I coudn't see any hoses going from/to it, so assume it drives something within the manifold.

Thanks

On another note, what's your mileage and how bad was the carbon build up??? My car keeps throwing an intermittent code up for TB and Map sensor and was considering getting the intakes removed and having the valves etc cleaned

Just clocked 90K and the Throttle Body was quite clean.
A few squirts of carb cleaner and a wipe and it was as good as new.

Also took cam/rocker cover off and the cams and surrounding area were remarkably clean considering mileage. No wear on cams either.

Anyone have a clue what it does ?

I don't know what it does on a TFSi engine, but what it does on a 3.0TDI, most of the time, is break, leaving the owner with a large bill.

On a more serious note, if it is what I think it is, the motor you are referring to is connected via a little plastic pushrod, to a spindle-mounted flap inside the inlet manifold. This flap, or inlet manifold swirl flap to give it its full title, is a device for altering the airflow in the manifold to optimise combustion.

Over time, the mechanism can wear, sometimes causing the pushrod to be detached (usually at the spindle end) and the engine management light to come on. This is most prevalent in the 3.0TDi V6 engine, but can happen on others too, I imagine.

thanks for that.
it it active at anytime adjusting in relation to throttle angle.
is it used just during warm up.
i will check the rod but i have no error codes.

Well checking the car while hot yesterday, the intake flap arm driven by the motor wiggles when you take the keys out of the ignition.
When the engine is running the arm pushes the flap in a similar fashion to how you would expect the main throttle butterfly to work i.e more throttle = more movement on the Intake Manifodl / Swirl flap.

Alot of the clicking/buzzing you get when the engine has just been turned off, and key's removed, seems to come from this switl flap and the Throttle Body.