“New” B7 3.0TDI Owner – Thoughts after a month of ownership

DrAlf

Reaction score
After lusting after a 3.0TDIQ for ages and having spent hundreds of hours researching them, I finally became an owner just under a month ago. I found a car that matched the spec that I was after and traded my B8 1.8TFSI ex company car. Spec of my “new” B7 includes Leather, Bose, parking sensors, Sat Nav +, MFSW and Sunroof +TDIV. I debated manual vrs auto for a very long time and spent ages reading up on here before being persuaded that auto was the way to go - I had previously been convinced that I wanted a manual.

So thoughts after a month then,… it’s awesome. The power and torque are phenomenal compared to the 1.8T. Overtaking is now easy and safe. The handling from the Quattro system is unbelievably planted and even on slippery, wet leaf strewn B roads it’s very hard to get the car out of shape. Its very confidence inspiring after the skittish handling of the 2wd B8 – which TBH scared me on a number of occasions – sitting water, snow, slippery roads etc. Fuel economy wise the 3.0TDI isn’t too bad overall but impressive considering the performance on offer. Motorway cruising sees 38mpg whilst my mixed back road and A road drive to work sees around 33mpg. Weekend country blasting drops to just over 30mpg. Not bad for a car with more torque than an RS4 – even before it’s been mapped. Oh and the auto box isn’t too bad either – I miss the option of complete engine braking control for B road blasts but loving the comfort when sat in M25 Friday afternoon traffic.

Compared to the B8 1.T, it’s a much much nicer car to drive – although I do think that the B8 looks better and the B8 interior is leagues ahead of the B7. Glad I made the switch though.

If you’re thinking about a 3.0TDI, I thoroughly recommend that you go for it – they really are brilliant. B8 3.0TDIQ next:)

Last edited:
Wow good write up.

Welcome I have owned a few Audis in my time :
2x B6 2.5 TDI Qs Votexed
B6 1.8T sport Votexed non Quattro
B6 1.8 T Sline 190 QS
2x B7 2.0 TDI's

I did the same as you looked at them for ages doing research and finding about the spec then tooing and frowing until I dicided to sell my 2.0TDI B7 and upgrade to a 3.0 TDI QSline

I went for an Auto / Tip 233ps (non DPF) due to the flexibility and being able to drop it in to sports mode when I want more fun!!

Even in D mode it still is very responsive, This car is no slouch and has frightening performance for a Diesel. Your MPG figures are roughly the same as mine. I travelled far to get mine and loved the top spec came with.

The car has so many good points as you said, power, handling, economy V6 grunt and is all weather. Highley recommended

Yeh the B8 is a nice looking motor but whatever you choose it must be a Quattro:yes:

Good to hear another 3.0TDI QS Tiptronic owner has joined

I own one too and love it.

Remember you can still use engine braking, stick it in flappy-paddle mode, you can't abuse the gearbox (as it won't let you) but you can certainly use it to engine brake. :thumbsup:

I hope you don't have any throttle body/inlet manifold issues. I looked at one of these before purchasing my 2.0TQ. Due to my mileage per year didn't need a diesel so opted for petrol. Lovely cars tho!! Congratulations on purchase

I've had mine for over two years now, and it is quite the best car I've ever owned. The engine combines beautifully with the auto box to provide a seamless surge of easy effortless power. I second Jas's comment about using the Tiptronic mode for engine braking.

Yes, inlet manifold swirl flaps are a problem, but there is an alternative to wholesale replacement. Fontain Audi will do a repair/modification to the mechanical assembly that should fix the problem in most cases. However, if the warning light still comes on after a mechanical repair, the fault code can be mapped out altogether.

Congrats on your purchase and good to know you're happy with your decision.

If you really want to see the best the 3.0tdi has to offer, get a remap and an RS4 ARB, you won't regret it!

Had my manual 3L TDI B7 for a year now and love it. Could not get on with the auto at all, but each to there own. However I echo the get a remap comments, then it truly is awesome. Plus you get to eat 530 bmw for breakfast!

I love my B7, done just under 600 miles in it this week and took it out on some snow, it did 47mpg from Cardiff to London, it is nice and discreet too, AjM, where about in Torbay are you from? I'm Torquay based, must have seen you out and about.

Had my manual 3L TDI B7 for a year now and love it. Could not get on with the auto at all, but each to there own. However I echo the get a remap comments, then it truly is awesome. Plus you get to eat 530 bmw for breakfast!

Same here, manual all the way! Did you have yours remapped then? I'm too scared as I'm worried about clutch wear etc.

I actually live in Newton but used to live in Brigham, I assume that 47mpg is from the dis, but still good! I had my DIS calibrated when I had mine remapped (they usually read about 8mpg - 12mpg over before remap). Mine is on 111,000 miles and still on orig clutch, if it goes, i will replace with standard. I have gone down uprated clutches before and it is a waste of time and money. Standard clutches are way over engineered anyway, especially on a Diesel estate, of course it depends on you driving style...

Yeah, DIS, I know they are not massively accurate, but it gives you an idea, and it was much better that the 2.0TQ that I had previously. I will have to keep an eye out for you in Newton, yours dolphin grey too? Mine is on 86k with the original clutch, still seems to be going strong.

I'm quite surprised that people with 3.0TDIQ manuals aren't having any clutch issues after remaps (considering some of the horror stories I have heard). I was thinking of getting a DPF delete + EGR software delete + remap (torque limited to 450Nm to prolong clutch life).