a4 2.0 tdi steering wheel/serpentine belt

thuss

Reaction score
Hi

I've got a 2005 a4 2.0 tdi. When I fully lock the steering wheel right, left or approaching fully locked I get strange noises coming from the alternator area.

So the other day I got a friend to lock the steering wheel whilst I looked at the serpentine belt. As he turned the wheel I could see the belt physically jump at the alternator pulley.

Can anyone suggest if its the tensioner thats gone? or can I raise the alternator so that the belt is tighter as I believe the tensioner is a self adjusting tensioner? Or is it some other pulley?

the tensioner looks like its working moving from side to side I estimate 5- 10mm.

Thanks in advance

I would definitely say as I turn the steering wheel a series of squeaks with maybe a very very low moo underneath (I dont know if the moo is due to the steering being turned with the car in a stationary position)

I had a similar problem, was a failed pulley on the alternator that needed changed

thanks I will have a go at it tomorrow, I appreciate the help/advice.

Last edited:
Well when was the belt & tensioner changed last?

Claudefrog you were spot on!!! it was the alternator pulley that was seized and it was seized in both directions.

So changed the pulley sounds like an audi now. Really do appreciate the advice.

One last thing when I rev the car (car is stationary and not in gear) and take the foot of the accelerator at the end of acceleration as the engine returns to idle theres a groan,has anybody had that before? I wish I could post the sound, btw should I start a new thread?

Reactions: claudefrog
I have the same problem and the same job to do on my Audi A4 2.0 TDI
Did you have to remove the front end to release the serpentine belt and get at the alternator, or can it be done without all the dis-assembly?
Thanks

I recently had issues like this but now it's fine.

Symptoms: screech at full lock and strange groan/grind as I lift the clutch when changing low gears slowly.

When the car is idling, is the tensioner jolting left/right and is it at a slight angle?

Fault on mine was mainly the tensioner (around £40) . The alternator clutch pulley had also locked, this is what causes the tensioner to fail prematurely.

Changed the tensioner first ( requires removing bumper and sliding the front part of the car forwards to fit.
While doing this we realised the alternator pulley was FUBAR.

changing the tensioner solved the screech, but tensioner would still jolt a bit because of the alternator pulley.

You can change the alternator pulley without having to take the front off.
Move a hose for access then Just undo the bolts on the alternator and take it off then do the pulley ( release tension on belt first).

After doing all that , my tensioner is now smooth and doesn't jolt at all.