AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
    Grumpy Old Man

Status

Pic of my lowered A4 3.0TDi SE

A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Nice, are those 18's? - If so i really need to get mine lowered!

1st Gear

Status
    Thats nice and subtle jeff, well done for taking the plunge. Bit chilly to be washing the car though BRRRR

Tiptronic

Status
    Looking good jeff! How are you finding the ride so far with the new springs?

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chr1sch View Post
    Nice, are those 18's? - If so i really need to get mine lowered!
    Yes they are. The springs are Eibach Pro which lower by 30mm.
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs. RS aluminium pedals

Neutral

Status
    Not trying to compete here promise,

Just to give an idea of what else can be achieved comfortably

Here is my SE - 1.9TDI

Lowered 40mm on 19's

These are APEX springs

I wish i had gone 40 rear/50 Front though as you will see the front is a tad higher

Past fleet:

2001 Saxo VTR (To bridge gap to A4!)
    1996 Toyota Starlet GlanzaV
    2001 Ibiza Cupra
    1996 Honda CRX Del Sol (B18C4 powered)
    2008 SEAT Ibiza
    1998 Peugeot 106

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/project-room/171641-stuiwhite-a4-b7-1-9-tdi-se-build.html#post1706798

Tiptronic

Status
    The front looks quite a bit higher, or maybe it's just the angle of the shot? What size tyres & offset are you using with that 40mm drop?

Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    I'm quite happy with what I've achieved.

A short drive along the A2 and back via some junctions and roundabouts show the handling has firmed up quite a bit without, as far as I can tell so far, damaging the ride.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by stuiwhite View Post
    Not trying to compete here promise,

Just to give an idea of what else can be achieved comfortably

Here is my SE - 1.9TDI

Lowered 40mm on 19's

These are APEX springs

I wish i had gone 40 rear/50 Front though as you will see the front is a tad higher

I can't really tell much from those pics. Do you have any of the car in full?

Neutral

Status
    Tyres are 225's all round, the fronts are 8.5j and rear are 9.5j

Offset is ET35

Yeah the gopro camera shots are fisheyed.

Ill get a side shot from car park at lunch

The ground isnt level with the pic you see so that probably isnt great judgement.

Ill upload new one later
    Past fleet:

2001 Ibiza Cupra
    2008 SEAT Ibiza
    1998 Peugeot 106

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/project-room/171641-stuiwhite-a4-b7-1-9-tdi-se-build.html#post1706798

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Tyres are 225's all round, the fronts are 8.5j and rear are 9.5j

Offset is ET35

Yeah the gopro camera shots are fisheyed.

Ill get a side shot from car park at lunch

The ground isnt level with the pic you see so that probably isnt great judgement.

Ill upload new one later
    That's be good. You've got some unusual tyre/wheel measurements going on there. Mine are 8J x 18 and ET42, with 235/40/18 tyres all round.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    That's be good. You've got some unusual tyre/wheel measurements going on there. Mine are 8J x 18 and ET42, with 235/40/18 tyres all round.
    Yeah, rims are staggered for deeper dish on rear rims.

the 225's are to provide minimal stretch on fronts and small amount on rear.

The offset is to pull the rim out just enough to feel the arches nicely.

Past fleet:

2001 Ibiza Cupra
    2008 SEAT Ibiza
    1998 Peugeot 106

Neutral

Status
    Apologies for the dirty car/wheels!

Past fleet:

2001 Ibiza Cupra
    2008 SEAT Ibiza
    1998 Peugeot 106

2nd Gear

Status
    Looks good. A nice subtle, stock looking drop.

Glad you're happy with it.

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Subtle is precisely the effect I was looking for.

My other cars a mk2 Golf GTi

Status
    B5 cups should fix the front ride hight

Audi A4 B5 Front Suspension Cup

1st Gear

Status
    I need to lower my SE! It sits waaay too high, looks worse when I have the 18's on.

JDP - how does the ride compare to the SE suspension and how much mileage have your shocks covered?
    Audi A4 B7 1.9TDi SE | Auto Lights, Wipers & Dimming Mirror | Cruise Control | DIS

Mod's so far: Ambient light, Cupra R splitter, 4300k HID's, Painted Brake Calipers & Hubs, Dice Electronics iPod & Aux, Leather Armrest, Interior, Sidelight & Number Plate LED's, Curry Hooks, Tie Downs, Ambient Footwell LED's, Footwell Lights, Shadow Chrome S-Line (RS6) wheels, Mudflaps, Votex Rear Diffuser, RS4 Rear ARB

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Olly P View Post
    B5 cups should fix the front ride hight

Audi A4 B5 Front Suspension Cup
    haha beaten to the mark! I was about to say just that! should help you out on the front dropping...

Both look nice though!...

Phantom A4 Build Thread

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by alpesh26 View Post
    I need to lower my SE! It sits waaay too high, looks worse when I have the 18's on.

JDP - how does the ride compare to the SE suspension and how much mileage have your shocks covered?
    Assuming they are the original shocks, they've done 76,000 miles? The ride is broadly the same as far as I can tell at the moment.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jdp1962 View Post
    Assuming they are the original shocks, they've done 76,000 miles? The ride is broadly the same as far as I can tell at the moment.
    I'd expect they might start showing their age fairly quickly with lowered springs (well, according to conventional wisdom at least).

At the risk of being booed, if you find yourself replacing the shocks at some point, I have found the Koni FSDs pair pretty nicely with these springs (on my A6) and retain decent comfort while coping with the lowered stance of Eibach Pro Kits... I think Koni actually used to sell them as a kit in the US.

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by fishyfish View Post
    I'd expect they might start showing their age fairly quickly with lowered springs (well, according to conventional wisdom at least).
    Thats what I was thinking. Mines done 89k so I think im best off changing the shocks whilst i'm at it, it's just wounder to the wallet though!

car looks good though jdp, mines the same as yours bar the engine.
    Audi A4 B7 1.9TDi SE | Auto Lights, Wipers & Dimming Mirror | Cruise Control | DIS

Mod's so far: Ambient light, Cupra R splitter, 4300k HID's, Painted Brake Calipers & Hubs, Dice Electronics iPod & Aux, Leather Armrest, Interior, Sidelight & Number Plate LED's, Curry Hooks, Tie Downs, Ambient Footwell LED's, Footwell Lights, Shadow Chrome S-Line (RS6) wheels, Mudflaps, Votex Rear Diffuser, RS4 Rear ARB

Reverse Gear

Status
    Looks well mate, Has anybody lowered there cab?

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    Having the brakes renewed at the same time meant I just didn't have enough cash for the shocks. I'll keep an eye on them, and replace when the time comes.

Tiptronic

Status
    Seems to be pretty common to run standard shocks and aftermarket springs, with the B7 at least... don't recall seeing any stories about people finding nackered shocks after fitting them? Could be 1 of 2 things: 1) German Engineering is awesome, or 2) the drop is fairly minimal so doesn't put too much excess wear on the shocks. Be interesting to know if anyone has changed their shocks retrospectively (due to failure or otherwise) and which they chose...?

Matty86, that would be me (19" rims and -30mm H&R springs, on standard s-line/sport shocks):

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    That's a very nice looking car, JJ.
    Last edited by jdp1962; 30th November 2012 at 09:33.

Neutral

Status
    Cab looks sweet!

My car has done 116000 miles and as far as im aware the shocks were never replaced.

I bought my car from the company i work for and they owned it from brand new and was religiously looked after by our in house fleet department.

Ride isn't bad and was only made a little harsher by the lower profile of my tyres in comparison to the beastly profile i had on the standard SE 16's

All in all, im in love with my AUDI.

Always had the urge to buy a 2 seater coupe but i know id regret letting the convenience and Exec styling of the B7 A4 go
    Past fleet:

2001 Ibiza Cupra
    2008 SEAT Ibiza
    1998 Peugeot 106

Tiptronic

Status
    Cheers guys. Running out of things to upgrade/change/modify now though... at least things which I can justify the cost!

Have you ever thought of a cupra-R splitter Jeff? It levels out the front of the SE bumper rather than it curving up as standard... could have it painted silver to match the bumper

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmurphy21187 View Post
    Cheers guys. Running out of things to upgrade/change/modify now though... at least things which I can justify the cost!

Have you ever thought of a cupra-R splitter Jeff? It levels out the front of the SE bumper rather than it curving up as standard... could have it painted silver to match the bumper
    Iv been toying with the idea of fitting one to mine,

Are they difficult to fit and what's the common way of bolting one on?

I think i can see one on the front of yours? *Edited* - Read your signature - DOH!
    Past fleet:

2001 Ibiza Cupra
    2008 SEAT Ibiza
    1998 Peugeot 106

Grumpy Old Man

Status

Never thought about it really.

Tiptronic

Status
    Are they difficult to fit and what's the common way of bolting one on?
    Not at all. They're about £45 from a seat dealer, and just use a series of self-tapping screws into the bottom of the bumper. You need to trim the posts in the middle slightly to get it to sit right, and lining it up can be a bit fiddly, but not too bad.

If you have ramps it gives you enough room to get under there with a screwdriver!

Spooling

Status
    Hi,
    I've just gone from a cupra with splitter to my A4 Avant s-line 2.0T. I unbolted mine and swapped it onto my A4. Perfect fit. Will upload a pic tomorrow. I want to lower my springs with the B5 cup mod. Struggling to find a pair without going to the "stealers" though. May get a quote from TPS tomorrow.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Seems to be pretty common to run standard shocks and aftermarket springs, with the B7 at least... don't recall seeing any stories about people finding nackered shocks after fitting them? Could be 1 of 2 things: 1) German Engineering is awesome, or 2) the drop is fairly minimal so doesn't put too much excess wear on the shocks. Be interesting to know if anyone has changed their shocks retrospectively (due to failure or otherwise) and which they chose...?

Matty86, that would be me (19" rims and -30mm H&R springs, on standard s-line/sport shocks):

You running B5 cups up front JJ? This is exactly where I want my ride height!

EDIT: Also by 30mm did you mean the 45mm H&R kit (S-line being 15mm lower already)?
    Last edited by A4_MaJiK; 21st December 2012 at 14:54.

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Neutral

Status
    I too have been thinking of the B5 cup mod.....

Does anyone have experience and effort required to do?

Also what is the latest part number and price if poss for the B5 cups?

Thanks in advance!
    Past fleet:

2001 Ibiza Cupra
    2008 SEAT Ibiza
    1998 Peugeot 106