EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    Neutral

Status

Car wont start ? electric fuzz noise from this part but what is it???

IMG_2890.jpg
    So i had a new battery fitted 10 months ago and 4 weeks ago went down to the car in the morning and nothing seemed to be a flat battery. I jumped started it after around 20 attempts before anything happened and 20 mins of being connected to the other car. It seemed fine a little slow to start as in it started first time but didn't seem instant ? took the battery back and they said it was low but no low enough to change under warranty. I should charge it up with a drive as the car was charging it. it was fine for 3 weeks then 3 days ago went out in the morning and nothing the key fob wouldn't work? thought damn the battery is flat again . Tried jump starting but nothing. Have all dash lights on radio will work ac works wipers run at normal speed. turn the key and no turn over not any noise?

Then when i listened quietly i could hear a noise from the engine. I had a friend turn the key and could hear a electric fuzz like a short or something each time coming from the part in the picture it was from the right hand side?

Is the battery having nothing to do with it? They said they would now switch it for free but can't drive the car! Also can't get to the retaining bolt at the bottom of the battery to remove it ??

The car is a 2005 55 plate 1.8t cabrio

Any help would be appreciated.

Thinking i'm going to have to pay to get it to the garage.

Martin
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    That's your ABS control block in the photo.
    2006 RS4 Avant (Phantom Black), RNS-E (2010 version inc SDS, HW 070, SW 0220) with AMI (250GB hard disk), Bluetooth + iPhone 5

Neutral

Status
    So I'm guessing that's not going to play a part in the car not starting ?? When the rain stops tomorrow going to try and get the battery out get it changed Hopefully that's it? Could it be that it doesn't have enough power to start but enough to run everything else?
    would wet damp make it do this as well?
    I hate it when my car goes wrong ! Every time this year something goes wrong ! Last year battery went year before a coil went !

1st Gear

Status
    Check inside the relay/ecu cover on the top left of the engine bay. Mine was full of water and fooked the relays - this caused the car not to start

Neutral

Status
    Ok thanks ill try that as its been raining a lot here in Torquay! Plus the sea is coming over the wall near where I live and had to drive through the other day, would this also mean my key fob needs to be reset as it seems to happen ?

Neutral

Status
    Oh and does anyone have a diagram of engine parts and where there are to check ecu unit lol top left should be easy to find right?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mjsummer View Post
    Oh and does anyone have a diagram of engine parts and where there are to check ecu unit lol top left should be easy to find right?
    Easy top left corner, black cover with around 5/6 torx screws. Mines a 2.0 tdi so not sure if petrol models are different

5th Gear

Status
    I hear the weather has been atrocious back home.....Hope it gets better for all of you. Sorry, can't be much help to you...you may wish to consider getting these. That could reduce the damp bits in your engine bay in future.

Audi A4 Engine Cover Kit Install | Audiction

Cheers
    A

Neutral

Status
    Ok now another problem ! So I checked the fuses in the ecu unit so there was a 15amp blade which was ok a large 40amp which I could see was fine so didn't remove and the grey block fuse which I believe is the fuel pump relay which I removed and check the blades they were fine and dry replaced then tried ignition this time the park and air bag etc lights came on but not the computer with the ok check?? Now the front lights don't come on but green light shows on dash window wipers do nothing and rear lights on very dim?? Ac lights are fine and bright and works? Window seems a bit slow ? Any ideas why would checking those fuses do any of this? Also checked fuse box inside and every fuse is intact
    thanks for the replies
    martin

1st Gear

Status
    Check the inside of the relays also - mine were corroded and i had similat symptoms to you