EM TuningChris Nott
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Phantom A4...

Loving the anonymity

Status

Re: Phantom A4...

Loving what you've done to the car! You've got me all intrigued about a rotary kit now for paint correction haha.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy88 View Post
    Loving what you've done to the car! You've got me all intrigued about a rotary kit now for paint correction haha.
    Thanks - it's coming along for sure. need to sort wheels ASAP

Yeh the kit I got was a really good starter and it's so easy to get the paint up to a good level quickly and I went flat out on the TT with the heaviest cut and didn't burn the paint so it's not as 'dangerous' by any means as people make out

Kestrel SIM180 Liquid Shine Professional Polishing Kit - Elite Car Care

hope that helps...

Phantom A4 Build Thread

Loving the anonymity

Status

Re: Phantom A4...

Thanks for the link. I'm definitely considering some form of machine polisher for the summer. My paint is terrible and it would be nice to get it looking good again.

What are you thinking for wheels? They 18's on there now?

1st Gear

Status
    yeh sitting on 18's with 235/10000/18's by the looks of it which needs addressing soon. It's got to be 19's and I'm after a staggered set would like 10's on the rear but 9's minimum. Just Time and Money holding me back + need to decide what wheels I actually want. been scouring A4 wheel threads and look about the place. some good options who knows

Phantom A4 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    rotifails in black mr phantom

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by olethalb View Post
    rotifails in black mr phantom
    Mr DTM

Phantom A4 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Looks great Edd ! What kind of mpg you getting on the 2.7 on a day to day basis ?!

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by unitzero View Post
    Looks great Edd ! What kind of mpg you getting on the 2.7 on a day to day basis ?!
    Thanks Baz - Umm I got a slow ish journey of an hour on A-roads and some stop start traffic from Guildford to Reading average around 46/47mpg on that commute to work everyday.

On the cruise to Bournemouth and back the other month, was in 55-57mpg... It's been mapped for a while too and still averaging 40mpg (calculated properly not DIS reading) DIS reards average of 42.3mpg since I've owned it in Nov '12

she aint sluggish either

Phantom A4 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    that's loads better than what I would have thought ! .. hmmm.. opens my options up a bit for when I move on from the wagon

2nd Gear

Status
    who is this guy - wagons? gtfo :D
    Macdoon likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    that's loads better than what I would have thought ! .. hmmm.. opens my options up a bit for when I move on from the wagon
    Yeh it does cruise really well. Such a flexible engine with really low down torque so doesn't always need a killing. but with this map it pulls ALL the way to 4,500 if you're around happy to take you for a blast....

Ahaaha

Phantom A4 Build Thread

Reverse Gear

Status
    2260?

this car is really great - its coming along real nice

1st Gear

Status
    Little update - further to the magic work at ollys of DPF delete and pre-cat Delete I've been having the car mapped by bobby singh who's been fettling and tweaking it as I go through the performance stage...
    1st - Basic custom map, to get a feel for the potential and asses the possibilities, pulled much better and free'd up the rev range
    2nd - Custom map tweaked and assessed smoke (no smoke at all), heat and fuel + EGR delete, pulled harder and smoother
    3rd - Revision after DPF delete and Pre-Cat Delete and tweaking = amazing torque in the low and mid, carrying through into the high RPM + constant and relentless pull and delivery of power. no horrid short spikes

Also - no smoke AT ALL, like some generic maps 'can' give. Chatting to Bobby he takes into account what you want and demand from the car and how you drive, tailors the map to you give him a shout! really knows his stuff.... This was good as the car isn't 'maxed' out there still more to go, but I didn't want to kill the clutch off too quickly - I get NO slip at all through the gears and it's on 67,000m with original clutch. I will be upgrading to a beefier one in the next few months out of personal choice. but very very impressed.

Off to rolling road ASAP - will through up the graph and results but they should be very good over the stock power of 177bhp and 280lb-ft.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby singh View Post
    2260?

this car is really great - its coming along real nice
    Cheers bobby! output is awesome now feels so different and really enjoyable! looking forward to RR day

Phantom A4 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    no idea, sounds like a douche either way

Quote Originally Posted by Golfedd View Post
    Yeh it does cruise really well. Such a flexible engine with really low down torque so doesn't always need a killing. but with this map it pulls ALL the way to 4,500 if you're around happy to take you for a blast....

Ahaaha
    Yeah man, UD probably not the best time because nightmare traffic but one of the summer shows, would be ideal

1st Gear

Status
    So, went to Surrey Rolling Road this evening along with a few other cars and Bobby to see what she was pushing. Went with the hope of 230-240bhp and 400-430ftlb

Stock: 177bhp and 280ftlb

Mods: Pre-Cat Deleted and DPF deleted + Bobby-Singh Custom Map

Results: 265bhp and 442ftlb

Huge shout to Bobby who worked on the map very hard and produced a smooth, SMOKE FREE map with very very nice figures! car drives like a whole new machine!

Last edited by Golfedd; 5th March 2013 at 22:52.

Phantom A4 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    [quote user="pug306"]
    Quite nice actually

[/quote]

thanks Rich, Man! see you at elemental [Y]

So had a few days to get the Audi looking a little better for this coming Saturday. Main issue - SHOCKING wheels! clear coat was peeling off, someone did a quick fix before selling it on I think, and a little curbing. I'm not planning on keeping the wheels long, but they did need a quick clean up.

Colour - Peugeot Graphite Grey
    Primer - Filler Primer
    Time - Took 12 hours of work over two days

Subwoofer install - Wanted a bit more kick, even though the bose system is very nice, so Wired in a RCA converter into the Stock Sub, stole ignition live from the Bose AMP and ran the amp under the floor for the JL. Thanks to Niall for the box build it's spot on! colour matched Grey Carpet too...

Wheels

Sub and Other Bits

Phantom A4 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Had some time on Friday night to get the car shined up a bit and a few snaps of the wheels (they still need a polish now the clear coat is hard)

woke up to some funky wax pattern from the frost

scotty76, A4_MaJiK and THQuattro like this.

Phantom A4 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    worlds blurriest photos but... A quick install of a USB charger, and covered in a lovely bit of Alcantara. not 100% happy with the finish where it meets the top of the console. will re-do it over the next few days

Smooth B6 flip lighter, much nicer than the old straight up lighter

Phantom A4 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    this is good stuff Edd, keep up the good work, i might treat myself to some of them Led sidelights, where did you get them from Trups? by any chance?

2nd Gear

Status
    where'd you get the acantara from Edd?

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by carl-1968 View Post
    this is good stuff Edd, keep up the good work, i might treat myself to some of them Led sidelights, where did you get them from Trups? by any chance?
    Thanks Carl... I did have trups LEDs but the resistors kept burning out. Trups recommends his inline loom. However I used resistors and used regular old LED bulbs from eBay. - shall post pictures this evening for you. Took about 15mins and no errors at all.

where'd you get the acantara from Edd?
    not sure man... But I got the Alcantara from vinder. Cheeky off cut. Might have a little left if you need?

Phantom A4 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    Cheers Edd, whereabouts are you?, there are not that many 2.7 Tdi owners on here

1st Gear

Status
    Cheers Edd, whereabouts are you?, there are not that many 2.7 Tdi owners on here
    Yeh only a few of us around! I'm down near Guildford man, south london so not close for a petrol! next door for us dervs haha.

here's how I did the lights, been working a treat no issue, LED's been in a good while too always run them on too. The resistors I got came with mounting bolts, etc etc and wire them parallel - Not my photo's taken from Marc on Edition38

Make sure you mount them with that clearance, they get hot! quickly!

Phantom A4 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    thanks to James Cross for these nice rolling shots!

THQuattro likes this.

Phantom A4 Build Thread

2nd Gear

Status
    Stunning!!!
    Golfedd likes this.

2nd Gear

Status
    Great photo's.......just looking at the tailpipes.....stock? or you just fooling with people lol?

1st Gear

Status
    Great photo's.......just looking at the tailpipes.....stock? or you just fooling with people lol?
    Hope my description of the LED's and resistors helped you out?

Um yeh, stock tail pipes, do they look different? I've got Large, straight DTM end pipes to go on, just not done it yet haha

Phantom A4 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    So while on my search for a new clutch to hold the power this thing is putting out without wearing itself apart in a month -I thought I'd slide in another comfort feature £30 after some negotiation got me Cruise Control stalk + under cowl

When I was researching how to do the install I came across some useful threads on how to go about it. So if anyone is curious here you go:

You will need a Torx T8 screwdriver style to get the cowl off (eBay £0.99p I got one)

Only works with the following steering control modules - if you take your steering wheel off and the cowling you can read the part numbers, here's what it DOES work with if you have one of the below you DO NOT need to change it and the slip ring:

There are 3 types of steering column control modules, only 2 of them support cruise control.

• Lowline
      • Supported Steering Wheels: Standard Steering Wheel (4-Spoke)
      • Supported Features: Trip Computer (does NOT support Cruise Control!)
      • Part Numbers: 8E0-953-549-F 8E0-953-549-S
    • Midline
      • Supported Steering Wheels: Standard Steering Wheel (4-Spoke), Sport Steering Wheel (3-Spoke), Multi-Function Steering Wheel
      • Supported Features: Trip Computer, Cruise Control
      • Part Numbers: 8E0-953-549-L, 8E0-953-549-N
    • Highline
      • Supported Steering Wheels: Standard Steering Wheel (4-Spoke), Sport Steering Wheel (3-Spoke), Multi-Function Steering Wheel
      • Supported Features: Trip Computer, Cruise Control, Steering Wheel Heating
      • Part Numbers: 8E0-953-549-M, 8E0-953-549-P, 8E0-953-549-Q, 8E0-953-549-R

General Guide for taking off the cowl, wheel etc etc and installing the stalk (total time 15mins)

Activation: and a LINK TO THE THREAD
    VCDS / Vagcom is fairly simple:

01 - Engine
    Coding
    '11463'

&

16 - Steering Wheel
    Coding
    Edit 2nd to last digit to support CC

YOU MIGHT NEED TO RE-ALIGN YOUR STEERING WHEEL, AS THE SLIP RING WAS TAKEN OFF - MINE DID NOT REQUIRE THIS.

Only trouble I had was my clutch switch was dead: New Part number is (Audi tent to keep them in stock) - 7H0 927 189

Trouble shoot thread HERE
    How to check via vag-com is Cruise is working/active and if your clutch switch is dead

01 Engine \ 08 Measuring Block and Selecting Group 006

When I hit the CC stalk up, down, left, right etc. the 'switch Monitoring' part (see screenshot) binary code changes from 0 to 1 at different parts of the number so I think that the CC is enable and the Stalk is working.

When I press the brakes the last two digits on the ‘Pedal Monitoring’change from 00 to 11. If I pressed the clutch nothing happens. the next two digits should change but they are stuck at 11 or in my case 00. indicate a faulty clutch switch and is this way my CC wasn't working straight up first time

Phantom A4 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    So this happened...

Phantom A4 Build Thread

Neutral

Status
    Nice scoop.

2nd Gear

Status
    Nice car, looking forward to see more...

I am WOLF.......

Status
    What a thread,really like these kind of threads to show progress...nice one!

And that car is great,everything i like in a car

1st Gear

Status
    So as well as the splitter needing updating and various other little things. However, the car was unable to move properly as the clutch decided to up and leave!
    So, after a few months of research, as I didn't want a paddle I finally found a solution.

Stage 2 Organic Plate (Sachs Performance)
    Single Mass Flywheel (Sachs racing)
    Stage 3 Super clamp (from RS4 kit)

Then after a few calls to germany with the teams out there I ordered it up and waited, time Clutch slipped by
    Then finally...

Phantom A4 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    looks like it'll take a good amount of torque man !

1st Gear

Status
    looks like it'll take a good amount of torque man !
    lets hope so! haha

So with the clutch turning up I gave the car a wash down and quick dry off this evening. Without the power to enjoy recently and trying to nurse the clutch I turned my attention to getting a good protection coat down on the corrected paintwork (in between doing customers cars) So with a base sealant and now a few layers of wax she shines up pretty well.

Phantom A4 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    So Saturday morning I picked up the clutch lever fork and thrust release bearing. Heading over to see olly (massive thanks). I set about undoing drive shafts, frame mounts, brackets etc Then olly after already doing 2 gearboxes that morning for a warm up came back to the easiest part of the job, undoing and removing the HENCH and heavy box with bolts in the WORST location up above the bulk head and behind the V6 there's little room. But with some Olly Magic it all came to light. Car pulls very strong, no slip and while at idle the SMF is a tad loud at the moment it has settled down a little. Gearbox oil change and increase to a slightly thicker one, poured in to the MAX to decrease the vibrations.
    It had got to the point where hill starts were a bit of a joke. The friction plate had life left in it, however the clamping plate/Clutch Cover simply wasn't strong enough and had got a little... warm.

Phantom A4 Build Thread

4th Gear

Status
    Good work
    Torque the Torque

Neutral

Status
    Edd the clutch killer

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by V6 Quatt View Post
    Good work
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Double J View Post
    Edd the clutch killer
    and tyres! anyway - you need to book in with RRD

Got a bit bored, and with my parking sensors being faulty for over a month and with little time or effort to fix them I thought I'd put this to use, instead of it sat in my garage!

THQuattro likes this.

Phantom A4 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    There are things in the pipe work for this, full rear box delete and DTM tips to unleash some of the V6 noise and a few other bits.

recent photos

Lurking

V6 Quatt and lukey baby like this.

Phantom A4 Build Thread

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast