my DTM 'build' - story so far, hybrid K04 - custom FMIC

alot of good work going on here

but out of curiosity, why didnt you just go ahead and buy yourself an rs4 for the money you spent on this?

where is the fun in that? :sly:

Reactions: James.c and sewell10
good point, it was never supposed to go this far.

tbh this will be faster and more exclusive than an RS4 with better MPG and a lot less to insure :)

Reactions: James.c, Jespy, craichouse and 1 other person
craic - exactly, i like buiding things. i would only have spent xxxx amount upgrading an RS4 anyway to make it faster etc than normal RS4's so makes no odds really :)

Reactions: Craig Cull and mattb1434
Nice project love the way it looks now

where can I get hold of that anti swirlpolish??[

QUOTE=olethalb;1839787]Oh Edd she's so shiny and clean :)

thanks bud, was good to catch up with you and the lads saturday[/QUOTE]

craic - exactly, i like buiding things. i would only have spent xxxx amount upgrading an RS4 anyway to make it faster etc than normal RS4's so makes no odds really :)

Olethalb,
Have you upgraded the gearbox? do you even need to, does the DTM have the same box as an Rs4?
and what about the Diff?

363 PS, not quite the same thing, people conveniently quote them as the same figure, but its not.

though it’s still commonly used by carmakers, PS or Pferdestärke (horse-strength in German) was actually replaced by kW as the EU's ‘legal’ measurement of engine power in 1992.

One PS is about 98.6% of a single brake horsepower – the two are virtually interchangeable, and PS is sometimes referred to as 'metric horsepower'.

That aside, still a great build, top quality work and a good looking car. Something to be very proud of olethalb!

Reactions: craichouse
I must say your car is looking good Olly. You drove past me yesterday, just before 4pm at the Merc round about going towards Bracknell town centre.

exactly what i said before and you didnt agree, you mug :whistle2:

I either saw this car today or one exactly the same in every detail on the lay by of the M6 today.

I voted B6 but only because you decided to spam so many threads :no:

Reactions: DieselJake and Steve220
That was ****ing amazing... took me 3 and a bit hours to read and look at every pics... I have to say this is one of the best of the bests A4/S4 with no doubt...

I'm about to sell my A3 S Line and already decided to go for S3, but after seeing this thread... I'm also considering A4 DTM, even though I know it's hard to find a nice one like yours, I mean stock...

To be honest your baby just needs a full respray and you're done! :)

Saved one of the pics as my desktop wallpaper... looks awesome :)

Absolutely off the chain, so much time precision and quality has been used with this build. Could read it for hours!! Well done! Car looks exceptional! :)

Brilliant car. I want get Dtm myself next year. Don't you wanna sell it ;) anyway how is car today?

sorry lads, the car has been on axle stands for a fair while now due to a series of problems not related to the car but a 'reputable' company. hoping it will be back together and better than ever in the next month or so.....

sorry lads, the car has been on axle stands for a fair while now due to a series of problems not related to the car but a 'reputable' company. hoping it will be back together and better than ever in the next month or so.....

Hi Olly sorry to hear about your car probs. Can you PM the name of the garage so I can avoid them with my car?! Thanks!

Undoubtedly money well spent! Getting decent bhp, tax, insurance, mpg, etc doesn't come easy but looks like this car nails it on the head. No doubt plenty of elbow grease has been spent but totally worth it.

thanks for the comments

so...guy building my block came back with a high compression ratio - pistons from JE were quoted as 9.5:1 but CR was coming back at closer to 10:1
emotion-3.gif

i couldn't understand why, the block had been very slightly decked so would have added couple of points at most maybe upto 9.7:1, so we checked and reched and calculations and figures were spot on. i asked him to remove the quench pads in the head which will give a couple of points back.

so quench pads removed and head cc was upto 46cc from 45.4 but i was still not where i expected to be.

i started a thread on a US forum asking if anyone had issues with CR after fitting JE pistons and was linked to another forum which was saying all JE pistons for TFSI are sold with wrong CR - after a few of the US boys got involved and a direct quote from JE engineer JE's calculations are off and they use wrong thickness HG to calculate CR so indeed they are all sold with wrong stated CR

from here i had 2 options, either strip the block and have the pistons machined to drop the CR a touch more or use a cometic headgasket that is a couple of tenths of a mm thicker. so i opted for the cometic HG at £109 and two week wait from the states and thats about where i'm at right now, block built, head ready to drop on but no gasket or motivation at the mo.

Quench pads gone

null_zps0474626c.jpg

built bottom end

null_zpsd3949dc6.jpg

thanks for the comments

so...guy building my block came back with a high compression ratio - pistons from JE were quoted as 9.5:1 but CR was coming back at closer to 10:1
emotion-3.gif

i couldn't understand why, the block had been very slightly decked so would have added couple of points at most maybe upto 9.7:1, so we checked and reched and calculations and figures were spot on. i asked him to remove the quench pads in the head which will give a couple of points back.

so quench pads removed and head cc was upto 46cc from 45.4 but i was still not where i expected to be.

i started a thread on a US forum asking if anyone had issues with CR after fitting JE pistons and was linked to another forum which was saying all JE pistons for TFSI are sold with wrong CR - after a few of the US boys got involved and a direct quote from JE engineer JE's calculations are off and they use wrong thickness HG to calculate CR so indeed they are all sold with wrong stated CR

from here i had 2 options, either strip the block and have the pistons machined to drop the CR a touch more or use a cometic headgasket that is a couple of tenths of a mm thicker. so i opted for the cometic HG at £109 and two week wait from the states and thats about where i'm at right now, block built, head ready to drop on but no gasket or motivation at the mo.

Quench pads gone

null_zps0474626c.jpg

built bottom end

null_zpsd3949dc6.jpg

Sounds like your having fun mate! Hope you see the results your hoping for!

Ive got everything ready to fit based on your build thread... Car was booked in on saturday but due to a clutch issue, ive had to put it back a month while the new clutch beds in. Not to mention samco taking 4 weeks to supply my hoses and milltek taking over a week to supply the exhaust. Just seemed to be obstical after obstical, but im positive lol!
Im doing the rods next but mite do pistons aswell so ill be watching the rest of your thread closely. Its been very helpful so far! :)

Hi gents and great forum olethalb.
I think my situation was the same as most when I started looking, the usual S3 route but saw your forum about the DTM and quite liked the look of the saloon with a little extra space and usable daily.
I managed to purchase a 55 plate all black DTM from Sheffield with low mileage at 60,000. I didnt mind paying a little extra and driving all the way up from London to collect it as it was and is in good condition.

So far mod's are as follows,
The engine has had a forge atmospheric blow off valve, forge actuator (mounting bracket needed modifying for ko3), green panel filter, HPFP with tappet replaced, RS4 thrust sensor, RS4 fuel pressure regulator valve (had to taken off as it was holding fuel pressure above 135bar on fuel rail) will be put back on when I get bigger turbo, decat pipe, full custom stainless exhaust identical to milltek, I ordered my FMIC kit from ebay from America and went straight on with no drama's, just needed to cut off the small metal mount which holds the ambient temp sensor. Ive just picked the car up from JBS after having the clutch and flywheel fitted which is from southbend in America and custom coding and is around 270-280bhp and 300lbft..

Ive replaced the front brakes for the large upgrade kit from forge, large calipers, discs, brackets and braided lines, I still need to replace the braided lines on the rear.

Ive got CADES 19'' wheels on toyo proxes tyres at the moment which were bought as black and silver but had them sprayed full black.
I had to use 15mm spacers rear and 12mm spacers front to bring everything into line.

Suspension so far ive changed the springs for H&R, and replaced the anti roll bars for the H&R units front and rear, I would have gone coilovers but don't enjoy the ride from them and wanted the car to be usable daily and not bottom out on speed humps.
To follow soon will be Koni FSD shocks, full set of polly bushes and ive also been looking at the ladder braces and strut braces from Ultra racing in America.

Originally I went with the LOBA clutch and flywheel kit used on the S3's but found out after that it doesn't fit but was returned to JBS and they have been very helpful in getting my car prep'd and remapped and also sent off my actuator to forge to have the mount re made, bad points were just me being impatient as a customer as I wanted it all done yesterday.

Mods to come next year will be bigger turbo, ive had my eye on the LOBA upgrade with manifold from JBS, bigger S3 injectors, fuel pump upgrade, pistons, conrods and some head work and finish with another remap..

Pictures to follow later today as the car is filthy and needs washing and waxing desperately.

Cheers

John

Craig - hope you're making some progress with yours, hoping the love will return to mine as currently i'm a soccer mum

null_zpsbb14d4a6.jpg

john - sounds like you've done all the right things, pop the spec up along with some pics on the DTM register thread. I'm selling my 2k mile hybrid k04 that has been modified to fit a4 for £650 (cost me £1500)

Well looks like i may have to do something now, was sat having dinner earlier and a knock on the door was a courier with a flat package

null_zps1805dc95.jpg

now i need to gather all the other engine parts from here and there and hope i have everything to build it back together :0

picked these up too, hope they will continue the OEM theme

null_zpsa0d7138a.jpg

Reactions: Craig Cull
Im sure it will return mate! Its too late to loose faith now. These obsticals are blatently sent to try us! Cant wait to see what the results are from the engine rebuild! Wifes just give me the scarborough warning like, but i guess i can always sleep in the car, haha!! Keep us posted :)

Hi there u have done some nice mods to that car but I like the normal dtm look

well this morning i collected all the boxes and bits together

null_zpsc6c52faa.jpg

And got to work, first thing was to get it on the engine stand

null_zps92201cc5.jpg

Decided i'd delete the balance shaft drive from the pump housing, the oil pump is a massive unit on the tfsi and contains balance shafts but the drive gear is driven by the same chain that drives the oil pump, if the drive brakes then no oil pump

null_zps2eab9617.jpg

So here's the pump assembly

Vw audi 2.0t fsi balance shaft drive in pump housing pre de - YouTube

and with drive gear deleted

Vw audi 2.0t fsi balance shafts disabled - YouTube

once that was done and fully cleaned out i bolted it to the block

null_zps736e160b.jpg

After that was on i pretty much cracked on, built the head and bolted it up with new cambelt and waterpump

null_zps0fbb742f.jpg

then the rest, turbo, inlet, mounts, hoses etc etc

null_zpsd26853a8.jpg

And the day has come! Looking good man, my head hurts from the oil pump balance shaft gear removal... so those two half circles are the balance weights?

Anyhow, looking good for a quick build and back on the road! going to be so sweet and worth the wait, top effort man!

Photo 1Photo 2Photo 3
Not the best pictures as I was loosing light after washing the cars.
Going to post on the DTM forum later with description, also managed to order my powerflex bush set, anti roll bar and braided lines to complete the rears, just need to order in my koni shocks..
I may take you up on the Turbo offer mate, in the middle of buying a house so a little short some weeks. take it with the K04 id be ableto retain my forge actuator on there from the KO3 as im sure the mounting bracket will be almost identical and whats the deal with dump valve/blow off valve, as with the KO3 its attached to the turbo but with the KO4 will I have to modify a boost pipe to accommodate a new dump valve.?

Last edited:
The dumb valve gets relocated on the the ko4 set up.

And nice car. I almost bought that car had about 60k miles on the clock and they wanted 9990 for it.

Had some nice extras: bose sound, heated seats but I found a few things I wasn't happy with. Thou considering you spending money on it no doubt most of the issues will be resolved ;)

Otherwise I like the mods especially the alloys and the brakes.

Considering a lot of members are following this post and a few of them having DTM's. "hope you dont mind olly"

I got a question. Considering we are part of an elite few having only 250 Right Hand Drive Quattros made does anyone know, how or were does one find out what number there DTM is of the 250 made??

Like with say the Honda civic type R championsion edition there is a stamp above the gear know saying No. 115/300

If anyone could shed some light or any thoughts.

Hello Giosabcsl, thank you for comments and when I first looked the car was up for that price then a few days after they advertisedthey raised to 10,500 as they ''supposedly'' did a full service, cambelt etc and they said because of the mileage it was worth the money, apart from a full things like spongey bushes which are being replaced now and peppered front bodywork but getting resprayed as of next yeari couldn't see any other major issues..
The kO4 should be no drama's I just wasn't sure if it was the same set up dump valve wise as the KO3..

Also need to correct my last update, ive ordered an ultra racing strut brace not anti roll bars, they've already been done.

Olethalb, I also forgot to ask what spec turbo you'll be upgrading too..?

If i'd known you had an 064 for sale, I'd have had that Olly, given it to Dan to look at and fitted it to mine.. Great progress as always

well this morning i collected all the boxes and bits together

null_zpsc6c52faa.jpg

And got to work, first thing was to get it on the engine stand

null_zps92201cc5.jpg

Decided i'd delete the balance shaft drive from the pump housing, the oil pump is a massive unit on the tfsi and contains balance shafts but the drive gear is driven by the same chain that drives the oil pump, if the drive brakes then no oil pump

null_zps2eab9617.jpg

So here's the pump assembly

Vw audi 2.0t fsi balance shaft drive in pump housing pre de - YouTube

and with drive gear deleted

Vw audi 2.0t fsi balance shafts disabled - YouTube

once that was done and fully cleaned out i bolted it to the block

null_zps736e160b.jpg

After that was on i pretty much cracked on, built the head and bolted it up with new cambelt and waterpump

null_zps0fbb742f.jpg

then the rest, turbo, inlet, mounts, hoses etc etc

null_zpsd26853a8.jpg

So whats the rebuild result? Wish id have known about the turbo before i spent 1k on the k04 hybrid conversion lol !

Hey how is the best DTM. When we'll see new pics. Is it alive?

YAY! I can now actually POST on this forum!!!!

well yes it's alive, had a few codes to sort, fitted new wheels - unfitted new wheels haha

well should know within the hour if it's passed it's MOT

Ind

BLQ

Reactions: James.c
sold them on ebay on tuesday bud, prefered the BLQ

well passed MOT apparently so i't very nearly back on the road, need to put some miles on it and a couple of oil changes then mapping time :)

sold them on ebay on tuesday bud, prefered the BLQ

well passed MOT apparently so i't very nearly back on the road, need to put some miles on it and a couple of oil changes then mapping time :)

Have ya! I like both but they won me over a little lol.

When ya expecting to get it mapped then? Early feb?