Which petrol to use for long journey

psd99

Reaction score
Hey all,

Going to do a journey from London to Sunderland next year - in my 2.0 T FSI engine I always use Shell Super Unleaded.

I can fill the car for less money with shell unleaded
The journey will be approx 600 mile round trip - so what petrol shall I use and how much should it theoretically cost me?

(no cruise control installed YET)

I'd estimate a full tank to cost around 80-87 quid but this is just normal fuel for the more expensive it will cost more but I need to work out if that would be money well spent or for the purpose of the journey go for the normal fuel.

I don't see how anyone can answer that for you? Only you know how much fuel your car uses.

I would just go for the good stuff anyway if you car runs better on it.

Personally I would stick with Super Unleaded. I get better mpg on a long run with it and better pick up in the outside lane if you've have to slow suddenly for any reason. A few pence more I know but worth it. Happy driving.

Since moving to 98 V Power I have had no "pinging/pinking" engine issues when I thought 95 was good enough for my Bus and we have the same motor. If it was me. I would use 98 and V Power if I have the choice all the time.

I got nearly 800km's ( 500mile? ) on a full tank of V Power 98 and still had over a 120km's reading on the trip meter.....and I had studded winter tryes on which reduced the mpg! I was driving like Miss Daisey though....and was sitting at 110 - 120km with ye old cruise control on!

Good Luck and safe journey.

BR
A

Just had a quick tot up of my fuel spredsheet. My car is an A4 2.0 T FSI, non quattro, totally standard.

Average over last 5948 miles: 31.07 mpg
Worst: 26.72 mpg
Best: 38.12 mpg

Most of that is trips to work but I have two recorded long runs:

232 miles, 38.12mpg
368 miles, 34.99mpg

Car is run on Shell V Power.

Im a TDi owner but i can say Shell Vpower Fuel makes a HUGE differance :)

For my car:

£85 to fill (vpower diesel) - 825mpt (805 if running around town)
£80 to fill (normal diesel) - 750mpt

I would recommend the vpower stuff to anyone petrol or deisel, you gain so much for the price you pay + you can used a shell club owners card to get 2 points per liter you buy 500points is £2.50 off fuel vouchers etc...

your planning ahead a bit!! 'next year'

i'm popping to london tomorrow night, fill car, drive down, drive back.