JMB RetrofitsMonster Motorsport
    Tiptronic

Status

New Custom Exhaust (3.0tdi)

Finally got my exhaust fabricated and thought I would post a few pics. 316 stainless steel construction (apart from the tips which are 304 because they had to be bought). Really pleased with the results! Only downside is the speed at which the tips become blackened! Video doesn't do it justice...

4" Slashed tips (pardon the cable ties, before the hangers were on)

Decided to have the tips removable so they could easily be changed if necessary later

Tricky bit to go round the quattro...

Video: Audi A4 Cab :: 00008.mp4 video by jjmurphy21187 - Photobucket

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    Caerdydd, Cardiff, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Nice jj but will it pass the noise test at combe!
    06 A4 AVANT QUATTRO 2.0T S-LINE SE,GARNET RED, RS4 REAR ARB,SPACERS ALLROUND,H & R SPRINGS,B5 PERCHES,A6 V8 RIMS.PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO S SIX POTS .REVO ST2 MAP ,MILLTEK CATBACK EXHAUST,PANEL FILTER,034 INTAKE PIPE.

Tiptronic

Status
    Ha, that remains to be seen. But when it's not under load it isn't too loud (not that I have a decibel meter)

Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

Neutral

Status
    Very nice!, what sort of price would he charge for something the like that?

Tiptronic

Status
    Would've been £750 but the extra flanges for the tips was another £80. Not a cheap option but he can fabricate more or less anything you want and the craftsmanship is 2nd to none

2nd Gear

Status
    Now that looks like a quality bit of work. Where was that exhaust made?
    If it's not longitudinal and it's not Quattro..it's not an Audi
    VCDS (VAG-COM) HEX-CAN USB cable carrying member
    2005 A4 DTM 2.0 TFSi Quattro :364Bhp/477NM - Mapped by MRC Tuning
    Hybrid K04 Project ongoing (link to Build thread)

DMFW + Clutch For Sale

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Would you mind saying what the setup is in full, for example regarding the catalyst, DPF, secondary cat, silencers etc. I'm looking to get something to improve my exhaust note on mine and unleash the growl (2k rpm +) of the V6 but don't want something too loud as I'm on the motorway everyday and have had bad experiences with boomy exhaust systems.

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Tiptronic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by solaris View Post
    Now that looks like a quality bit of work. Where was that exhaust made?
    It was made by an independant in Nottingham, 'Wright Bro's Autos' and the guy's name is Dale. Doesn't have a website unfortunately but he came recommended to me and has done a few other audi exhausts.

He sent me a few pics of others he's done, A6, RS6 and Carl's A4, which I can forward if anyone's interested: drop me a PM

Quote Originally Posted by A4_MaJiK View Post
    Would you mind saying what the setup is in full, for example regarding the catalyst, DPF, secondary cat, silencers etc. I'm looking to get something to improve my exhaust note on mine and unleash the growl (2k rpm +) of the V6 but don't want something too loud as I'm on the motorway everyday and have had bad experiences with boomy exhaust systems.
    Setup is as follows: 1st CAT & downpipe is standard, from the downpipe back has all been replaced. Already had the DPF gutted/mapped out so no additional mapping was needed for the new exhaust. Downpipe goes into a straight through silencer (maybe 14" long?), then the pipe splits just before the quattro box and goes round the support struts/ARB etc, then two 4" tips on the end (no backboxes).

I was after exactly the same thing as you MaJiK, but honestly there is a bit of drone which unfortunately falls just at cruising speed (1700-2000rpm). Now I've been looking into ways to counter this and aside from coating the floor of the car in sound deadening material, I found the concept of adding a 'Side-Branch Resonator' which can be used to eliminate specific resonant freqnencies. Sounds like a good idea and it's what companies like Miltek use inside their backboxes to give a 'tuned' system:

According to my calculations (lab coat on at this point), for a 6 cyl engine with a resonante freq of 'X', the pipe length should be 'Y':

RPM = 1700 L = 1.009m
    RPM = 1800 L = 0.953m
    RPM = 1900 L = 0.903m
    RPM = 2000 L = 0.858m
    RPM = 2100 L = 0.817m
    RPM = 2200 L = 0.780m

So ideally you'd make the pipe length adjustable to change the frequency response, as the res freq changes which exhaust gas temps (hence why the sound different on start-up and after a run) and it's not an exact science. But if the side res runs parallel to the main exhaust it HAS to be a mandrel bend, otherwise it messes with the pressure waves and doesn't work correctly...

Found this on a US forum for Corvettes and Trucks, a lot of those guys swear by it. Having said that those guys have V8s which require a shorter pipe length to get the same res freq...

5th Gear

Status
    Caerdydd, Cardiff, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Ive seen a exhaust on a a4 with one of those fitted on a US site might have been on audizine
    06 A4 AVANT QUATTRO 2.0T S-LINE SE,GARNET RED, RS4 REAR ARB,SPACERS ALLROUND,H & R SPRINGS,B5 PERCHES,A6 V8 RIMS.PORSCHE CAYENNE TURBO S SIX POTS .REVO ST2 MAP ,MILLTEK CATBACK EXHAUST,PANEL FILTER,034 INTAKE PIPE.

4th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add A4_MaJiK on Facebook Visit A4_MaJiK's Instagram Channel
    Brilliant response thanks for that. I may just do the same setup as you have but have back boxes in place to counter the drone at cruising speeds. My only concern as I've probably mentioned many of times is the increase in smoke after the DPF removal.

Audi A4 B7 3.0TDI S-Line Sprint Blue
    ~ MTEC DRLs & Sidelights ~ 8000k D1S ~ 19" A6 Le Mans Edition Wheels ~ Eibach Wheel Spacers (5mm F/15mm R) ~ Rear Ambient Lighting ~
    ~ UK Legal Pressed Plates ~ Full Interior LED Lighting ~ Rear Numberplate LED Lights ~ LCR Front Splitter ~

Tiptronic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYTQ View Post
    Ive seen a exhaust on a a4 with one of those fitted on a US site might have been on audizine
    Any idea if it was effective at getting rid of the drone at crusing speed?? Going to enquire about cost of adding this later...

Quote Originally Posted by A4_MaJiK View Post
    Brilliant response thanks for that. I may just do the same setup as you have but have back boxes in place to counter the drone at cruising speeds. My only concern as I've probably mentioned many of times is the increase in smoke after the DPF removal.
    Might be worth considering the Miltek... if you can get a good deal...

PS: You could always use the 'Thanks' button

Tiptronic

Status
    What I also meant to say in that post was that I've never had excessive black smoke after removing the DPF. It can depend on your map and if it's done properly (so I've read), but I've never seen a cloud of black left in my wake in the rear-view... slight hazyness at night through headlights, but that's normal...

If you want to swing by Nottingham you're welcome to have a listen before shelling out £xxx!

Neutral

Status
    Sounds lovely!

5th Gear

Status
    Lovely bit of welding that.....classy....can we get a listen to them on YT?

1st Gear

Status
    I agree, those welds are just spot on... makes the workmanship on the Milltek system I have (gets fitted on Monday! woo!) look pretty average, I can tell you.

Tiptronic

Status
    Cheers guys

I'll try to get to grips with youtube and post a link... does the photobucket vid not work??

Tiptronic

Status