Sorry, it's another "should I sell" thread (170 DPF)

C

Codestud

First of all, I very much apologise to those of you who hate "should I sell" threads, but here is my situation, and I hope someone else might be able to empathise.

When I bought my A4 2.0 170 DPF in 2009 (with 40K on the clock) I fully intended it to be a "keeper", and was under the illusion of German reliability, and so intended to push the car way past 100K miles for at least 5 years plus.

However, just over 3 years later, I've had a string of reliability issues including:
  • Parking sensor failure
  • Electrical relay fault
  • Injector failure
  • Exhaust pressure sensor failure
  • EGR valve failure
Fortunately, the Injector problem cost me nothing after VOSA forced Audi's hand to do a recall, however it was a stressful period and I've now spent way past £1K on fixing other faults. I'm now worried that in the long-run, the DPF itself and the Turbo may pack up, given the record thus far.

With £170 a year road tax, fuel, insurance and servicing, I've calculated that at the current rate, it may cost me nearly £10K to keep this car on the road over the next 3 years. On the other hand, "downsizing" into a smaller, and much more efficient diesel car (like the crop with zero road tax) I calculated might cost around £5K to run over the same period.

However, with the car I was eyeing up, I'm probably looking at around £7K cost-to-change (a nearly new Ford with a warranty). So, for at least 3 years, that actually cancels out all of the cheaper running costs!

I guess it might be financially better to trade into a older and cheaper used model than the one I was looking at.. however such a car would have a poor/non-existent warranty and might be a lottery to find a good one.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on. If anyone has had any thoughts on the same thing, I'd be grateful for any sensible and constructive replies. Thanks.

I'm thinking of selling my 170 after xmas, but for different reasons, maybe an A5! Got to say tho' other than the injector issue mine has been excellent.

(a nearly new Ford with a warranty). So, for at least 3 years, that actually cancels out all of the cheaper running costs!

Run away! We had a 2008 Ford Focus (with warranty) that spent a lot of time at the dealers getting fixed. I don't think even they were sure what they did to fix it in the end other than change almost every sensor on the car. I thought this was a one off but over numerous trips to the dealers, listening to other people's conversations with the service desk guys, it became apparent I was not alone. Also, several colleagues at work have had similar issues.

When an Audi breaks, the issue is usually well known and the fix apparent. It may not be cheap to fix but at least the fix is known. Had my Ford not had a warranty I dread to think what the labour charge would have been. It once spent a week straight at the dealers.

I'm afraid I wouldn't have another Ford.

Just my 2p's worth.

I'm afraid I wouldn't have another Ford.

Just my 2p's worth.

Scotty, I hear you. I've driven good Fords and bad Fords, and a work colleague of mine had a horror story with a Focus 2.0 TDCi which developed a fault which no-one, not even Ford knew how to fix. He couldn't afford the new engine that was required so now has to drive a Renault Twingo and is still paying the finance off the on the Focus.

My current thinking is to go for the current generation VW Polo - the new 1.2 TSI petrol engine looks like an absolute peach. And because it's a VW I can keep getting it looked after by my local VAG independent whom I trust.