Sky InsuranceVolks Autos
    5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit craigcull's Youtube Channel

Had a run in with a BMW 330i, BMW driver reported black smoke??

Hi guys, as above really. Had an immature moment with a BMW driver yesterday. He pushed me for 4 miles so in the end I gave in and showed him how we roll
    throughout this scenario I was very impressed with how the car performed, constant boost, no flat spots, very responsive and just overall on point in every way. Nice dense air yesterday so we were all go!! BMW driver was in the correct position for this scenario which was behind hearing a nice 7000 rpm exhaust note, unfortunately when we got next to each other he said "that goes well and sounds awesome (nice bloke) but, it's black smoking at top end". Now obviously I was gunning it, so smoke is going to be the case, especially with a decat pipe. Oil usage is normal, and it doesn't smoke on tick over but when I got the wife to boot it with me stood behind it, ther was a touch of black smoke near top end.

is this something to worrie about?? Or am I looking too far into this?? After being a previous Subaru owner and changing engines more times than I change my underpants, I tend not to put anything to chance.

Any help would be great.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Grumpy Old Man

Status
    What engine do you have?
    A4 3.0TDi SE Quattro Auto. Factory-fit: RNS-E/bluetooth; F/R parking sensors; full leather/heated front seats; cruise. Retrofit: Remap; Eibach 30mm lowering springs, RS4 RARB; MTEC drilled/grooved discs; 18" RS4 alloys; VW fan washers; Kinetic Digitizor DAB; Blackvue DR380 camera; front armrest; ambient lighting; white LED lights; autodim mirror; Cupra splitter; S-Line door blades; tints; UK pressed plates; MFSW; SDS; TPMS; LED Taillights and DRLs.

4th Gear

Status
    Sounds like a nice little dual. what engine you running?? puffs of smoke are harmless
    Torque the Torque

5th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Visit craigcull's Youtube Channel
    Sorry guys meant to state the spec lol. 2.0t fsi Quattro 220

5th Gear

Status
    its fine to smoke, its a mix of fueling and air and then any unburnt fuel is just burning off which is why it smokes on full throttle.

Nice going with it, BMW drivers seem to hog lanes and think they can outrun you.
    Bi Xenon Projector kits starting at £79.99 per pair.

EM Tuning Lighting.

4th Gear

Status
    Yeh some BM drivers are a bit aggressive on the road. Good to see what capabilities your car has...had similar run in with a Boxter-s last week. Taught it a lesson
    Torque the Torque

VAG Addict

Status
    Sounds normal to me... you're welcome to swap A4s with us for a week and then you'll know all about smoke!

As for the BM driver debate... well, we have both and I can hog lanes in either! I can also forget to signal too and it really doesn't matter which car I'm driving.

On the whole I do my best to drive both well and to a high standard but like everyone else I am susceptible to making the odd mistake. My point is that its not the car, brand or anything else other than the driver so lets drop the BM drivers are [insert insult of your choice here]
    2009 A4 2.0 TDI (170) Avant S Line Exec. ​Quartz Grey, S Line suspension, Bluetooth phone prep low, AMI, DAB, Symphony III, Leather/Alcantara, rear sun blinds, heated/dimming/folding mirrors and cruise control. Mods so far: BBS LM (reps), needle sweep and dipping mirror on reverse. To come: spacers, rear window tint and badge delete.

Tiptronic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by craigcull View Post
    in the end I gave in and showed him how we roll

Car: 2007 A4 3.0TDI Quattro S-Line Cabriolet
    Mods: Pipercross Panel Filter, Smarttop, LED Plate Bulbs, LED Interior Bulbs, Blue LED Needles, Remap, EGR Delete, Custom Stainless Exhaust (4" Slash Tips), Cupra-R Splitter, Embossed Number Plates, 19" BBS CH Reps & Vredestein Ultra Sessanta's, 12mm TPI Spacers, -30m H&R Springs, MTEC Black Edition Brakes (Dimpled & Grooved), Mintex Pads, RS4 RARB, Vibe Square Subwoofer in Ski-pass & Alpine MRP-350 Amp

VCDS - PM for details (East Midlands)

4th Gear

Status
    O.k some BM drivers are cool lol
    Torque the Torque