Had a run in with a BMW 330i, BMW driver reported black smoke??

Craig Cull

Site Sponsor
Site Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi guys, as above really. Had an immature moment with a BMW driver yesterday. He pushed me for 4 miles so in the end I gave in and showed him how we roll ;)
throughout this scenario I was very impressed with how the car performed, constant boost, no flat spots, very responsive and just overall on point in every way. Nice dense air yesterday so we were all go!! BMW driver was in the correct position for this scenario which was behind hearing a nice 7000 rpm exhaust note, unfortunately when we got next to each other he said "that goes well and sounds awesome :) (nice bloke) but, it's black smoking at top end". Now obviously I was gunning it, so smoke is going to be the case, especially with a decat pipe. Oil usage is normal, and it doesn't smoke on tick over but when I got the wife to boot it with me stood behind it, ther was a touch of black smoke near top end.

is this something to worrie about?? Or am I looking too far into this?? After being a previous Subaru owner and changing engines more times than I change my underpants, I tend not to put anything to chance.

Any help would be great.

Sounds like a nice little dual. what engine you running?? puffs of smoke are harmless

Sorry guys meant to state the spec lol. 2.0t fsi Quattro 220 :)

its fine to smoke, its a mix of fueling and air and then any unburnt fuel is just burning off which is why it smokes on full throttle.

Nice going with it, BMW drivers seem to hog lanes and think they can outrun you.

Yeh some BM drivers are a bit aggressive on the road. Good to see what capabilities your car has...had similar run in with a Boxter-s last week. Taught it a lesson :whistle2:
Code:

Sounds normal to me... you're welcome to swap A4s with us for a week and then you'll know all about smoke! :yahoo:

As for the BM driver debate... well, we have both and I can hog lanes in either! I can also forget to signal too and it really doesn't matter which car I'm driving. :p

On the whole I do my best to drive both well and to a high standard but like everyone else I am susceptible to making the odd mistake. My point is that its not the car, brand or anything else other than the driver so lets drop the BM drivers are [insert insult of your choice here] :)