Help needed ASAP

fossie

Reaction score
Hi guys. Basically my misses was driving to work when she noticed the engine management light come on. She stated that all of a sudden the the battery came on and the car lost power and stalled. I've been to the car and it turns over but won't start. I did notice that the brake light was flashing for some reason when I was trying to start it. It doesn't appear to be a snapped belt as it turns over at normal speed.
I did notice the other day the lights in and out of the car were flickering.

Anu suggestions until I can get access to vagcom. Currently waiting for the car to be recovered.

Kind regrads
lee

Oh also noticed that when then there is no key in the ignition the engine fan is spinning for some reason

Girlfriend just rang. She said she put the radio on now the cars completely dead and won't start over

Apparently there was water in the black casing in the engine bay where there are 3 relays. Garage is going to dry them out. They said that this is a common problem on Audi/Seat etc.

anyone heard of this before

yes the seal goes
and the ecu and relays get wet
quite common.

Bez, would drying them out and reseal the unit solve problem

Any ideas how much the relays cost Bez?

Cheers
lee

Ok so the garage have rang and said they have dried the relays out and the car still won't start. They said they have also tried 'hard wiring' the fuel pump but again it still won't start.
Any suggestions. The garage said they are trying an auto electrician but may not be able to get one till Friday.
Any help/advice would be great

have they scanned it
any codes ?

They said they haven't scanned it. I might go down with my vagcom and plug it in. Ill give them an hour or so

Good garage then ?
scan it post codes lets see if we can help your garage
a auto sparkie aint gona be cheap
and could still be a relay or a fuse etc from the water.

Just been down. Transpires that the car would start with the fuel pump hard wired however ran like a bag of ****e. Plugged into vagcom and showed glow plug control module.
I beleive this means the relays are ******??

Hmm what i would do is
get the relays and swap them over
is the ECU wet (if its in same box as the relays) ?
my pals just had the glow plug module fault on his passat the car still ran im sure the part was around £60/70.
i cant see the above module stoping the car from starting tho.

Surely it would stop it though if none of the glow plugs are getting hot?

yes you would think so
but you have it started with the pump wired direct
so i would be changeing the relays and looking what else is in the box with the relays.

Bez, in the box there are 3 relays (fuel pump, fan and glow plug), the other fuse(s) that were in there were fine. The expensive relay, think its the glow plug one was corroded so looks like it was like this for some time.

What we did was clear the codes and start the car, it ran but really poorly. Scanned it on VCDS again and it brought up the glow plug fault. Again cleared it and started ot again and the same fault showed.

I think we are just replacing the relays and taking it from there

yep i know there £££ from audi
where are you located
i have a few relays in the yard.

Im from County Durham matey, dont worry about the relays as the garage have ordered them. Im hoping i can argue that this is a warranty job

yeah bit to far down to get them to you
anyway hope the relay sorts it
get them fo fit the new rubber seal aswell