Rear Light Cluster change from RHD to LHD - Fog Light Wiring or fix ?

johnnyfinlandia

Reaction score
I have a RHD Audi A4 Cab 2006 model (B7) and have imported to Finland (LHD Country), so have changed the front lights.

The MOT centre has also requested a REAR fog light on the left (the older model used to have 2 but B7 only one).

I plugged in the new cluster (after finding the screw in the boot to remove the old one) but Fog light doesn't work.

Is the wiring linked to the cluster or not at all (as the Fog is on the right for the UK RHD model)?

If it is there can I just move the cable ?

If it is not does someone have to add from the wiring at the front all the way through the body ? ie. Audi :(

Any help appreciated.

The rear lights are supplied sided, so you'd have to visually inspect if the socket/circuit is fitted on the other side, but I thought it had fog 1 side, reverse other, have you fitted lhd rear lights?

If it has the socket/circuit then you can do 2 things, try & run into opposite side & fit bulb & see what happens or just disconnect pin on current fog side, link cable across to other side.

OK I put the lights on and basically the car says Reverse light doesn't work

I am waiting to see what Audi guy says - he says it might be possible to do something on the front of the car which will swap the leads as the wires seem to go into the bodywork to the front and I don't know how to move one cable to the other side (I mean it looks like it would be outside the waterproofing area if you know what I mean).

If it is a swap I might be able to do it. They wouldn't give any wiring for UK or EU back lights though. Is there a link somewhere which shows what inputs are for EU and UK models ?

Put what lights on, front/rear, lhd or rhd?

I have a UK A4 (RHD) and have changed front lights and now rear lights to LHD. The rear lights are now wrong (ie. the reverse doesn't show neither does the fog) so need a diagram to show the UK model (what comes into these) and the EU one as both have the Fog and Reverse in the opposite sides.

Audi says they have to sort out in the front but was going to see if I can run a cable to the other side.

OK I went to Audi and have a 'plan' :)

I have ordered 4 light connectors and 10 leads (each have either male or female end) for €100 :(
So I will try and connect each to the light at the back and cross over one longer lead to the other light (one for reverse and one for fog). I don't know at short notice if there are other sources for these bits - connectors seem Audi VW specific and were only €6 each but the cables with the special ends are the expensive parts for all that they are.

My questions are these now:

- Is there an easy way to move the one wire to the other side inside the boot? (Keep in mind this is a rear light which is kind of outside the car and Cab B7 model),

- Does anyone have the electrical diagram for the 6 connectors for both lights for RHS coming from the front - I can guess but want to be sure. I tried the Audi net but couldn't see one :(

I am going to try tomorrow and if I can't do it then the Audi Eleccy will continue and charge something.

Thanks!!

Why did you buy new connectors if they're already there, that was a waste of money, I already advised the solution, just remove the relevant wires from either side, link across to eachother & then refit pins, it should be simple to trace the fog circuits just on the pcb itself from the bulb holder.

Doh .. er why didn't I think of that. Maybe because I was trying to avoid cutting existing cables so if I ever want to bring back to UK I just pop in the old lights.

But yes you are right .. will save €100.

I will try and pull the one off each side and swap. Will just use a beep tester maybe.

Then the other bit is how can I carefully put the cables to the other sides .. as the cables seem to come from the front down some panel and not from the boot area ?

Is it easy to disconnect a pin from the 6-pin connector? Do you just pull or click or press something ?

All you'd realistically need is 2 repair wires for those connector types, then you could either cut the feed wires, join to link wires across rear of boot & use the wire thats been cut in the connector already to join too if it shares the same connector pin location on either side or remove the existing wire from connector & solder the link wires to the end of the pin so should you need to return to as before you can desolder, then insert 2 new wires into the connector holes for those lights, that way retains oem wiring should you swap back.

To remove pins I use specific tools, but you may get away with a very very thin kind of mini ice pick type tool to push into connector ends to dislodge locator lugs, but be careful or damage the connectors beyond use.

As I said already mate, link it across the boot, its fairly simple, just hide behind the boot trim/carpet etc that the bumper sits against, obviously internally not behind bumper.

I managed to do the link. I had to get the correct female cables to link into the Bosch 6-pin connector but all worked well. BUT there seemed no way at all to do it internally so had to hide behind the bumper (on the outside) so hope that will be OK. It passed the MOT today. Thanks for help.

If you know of any way to fit inside the car then I can try later, but there seemed no way. This is a cabriolet and there was only one hole through the metal that I could see which holds on the cluster via a long screw. The other wires seemed to go inside the car to the front and all was sealed :(

If the loom goes into the car, then you just need to find that hole by following the wires from rear of lenses, that in itself should be a doddle.

If it is of any help, I have a B7 A4 and noticed last week I have two fog lights on the rear (left and right)?