Volks AutosJMB Retrofits
    1st Gear

Status

Fitting wiper stalk with DIS

Hi all

Just bought a wiper stalk with DIS for my Audi, anyone got any instructions for install and programming?

Thanks
    Simon

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    remove the steering wheel and install stalk and it should work with no programming

1st Gear

Status

I was hoping someone may say that. So just plug and play?

6th Gear

Status
    should be yes, as you already have dis installed but wait until someone else confirms it

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    It will need to be coded with VCDS mate.

Also as you do not have the washer level sensor, a warning will be thrown up on your DIS to say washer level low. Now there are two options to take, most take the 2nd option as it is cheaper and can live without the sensor as they never had it in the first place.

1. Order new bottle and sensor and install.
    or
    2. Splice in to Pin 1 in the connector behind the instrument cluster, the one to the right if you are looking up from the footwell. You will then need to ground the other end if the wire. Job done, no warning!

Now to do the install of the stalk, if you have ever fitted cruise, then follow the exact same procedure apart from the coding at the end.
    I suggest if you don't have cruise and have the MFSW, then you will have the correct module for cruise, so install all at the same time.

PM your email address and i will send you a guide. there use to be one about on thd net but i cant seem to find it.

Just a suggestion, but if your near London, I could fit both for you.
    Last edited by Dannykn9; 11th October 2012 at 21:19.
    VCDS Owner-North London/Enfield
    " To Cruise Is What I Do"

1st Gear

Status

I haven't got cruise as of yet but it's on my list, but I got the wiper stalk dirt cheap. I have vcds myself do can I just program the water level error out rather than doing option 2?

I'll pm you email addy for instructions. Really appreciate that.

Cheers
    Si

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Newbos View Post
    I haven't got cruise as of yet but it's on my list, but I got the wiper stalk dirt cheap. I have vcds myself do can I just program the water level error out rather than doing option 2?

I'll pm you email addy for instructions. Really appreciate that.

Cheers
    Si
    Have emailed you mate.

Just go for option 2, ground pin1 of the blue connector behind the cluster. You will find there is already a wire in pin1, so with an additional bit of wire, just splice into it and solder and ground the other end. If you dont have a soldering iron then a scoth lock will do.

Simon, for the cuise parts cost, roughly around the £60 mark, then you should do it, otherwise you will just be repeating the same process. You may as well kill two birds with one stone.
    This saying if you have a MFSW as you will have the correct steering module for cruise.

Keep this thread updated on how you get on fella.

Good luck

6th Gear

Status
    When i retrofitted a full dis dash and the stalk, it just worked. I had danio make me a loom to wire it in and grounded the washer to earth.
    '02 TDi 130 Sport: Mods to date: BXP 160 conversion, EGR delete, Decat, Helix SMF fast road clutch, 312mm front rotors, full DIS , CC, Xenons.
    VCDS fully registered and happy to help.
    *Need a Spare Key or Remote? SKC retrieval? Clock/ECU swap or milage correction? I am fully insured to work on your vehicle! Offering a good deal and quality service to ASN members Nationwide!*

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have just completed DIS and cruise on my A4 1.9TDI. I found it easier to ground pin 1 of the instruments connector at the other end, ie where it terminates. (saves having to remove instruments)
    This wire is in the passenger side footwell behind A post plastic trim.
    Look for the black 14 pin connector and earth the wire which is at pin 9.

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by vas67 View Post
    I have just completed DIS and cruise on my A4 1.9TDI. I found it easier to ground pin 1 of the instruments connector at the other end, ie where it terminates. (saves having to remove instruments)
    This wire is in the passenger side footwell behind A post plastic trim.
    Look for the black 14 pin connector and earth the wire which is at pin 9.
    No need to remove instrument cluster, just remove blue plug so you have some slack, splice into wire from pin1, ground to a bolt on the chassis. Job done, 5-10 mins max.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannykn9 View Post
    No need to remove instrument cluster, just remove blue plug so you have some slack, splice into wire from pin1, ground to a bolt on the chassis. Job done, 5-10 mins max.
    Lol, did not even look at that method, I read factory wiring diagram prior to installation and thought the footwell area was easiest option, also no more than 10 mins. More than one way to skin a cat as they say ;-)
    A4 Avant B7 1.9TDI Sline

1st Gear

Status

Cheers guys much appreciated will update once I have the cruise stalk as well.

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Cheers guys much appreciated will update once I have the cruise stalk as well.
    Remember Simon, for cruise, you must have a MFSW or DSG wheel in order to determine you have the right Steering control module to accept cruise. If you have neither, then you will possibly need a new one which are around the £160 new.
    I do have a used one if needed.

You will need a new lower cowling to accommodate the cruise stalk.

1st Gear

Status
    If you don't have the right steering wheel control module for cruise search eBay, I have just fitted cruise to my cab and managed to snap up a Q module with cruise stalk for £20 with £5 delivery, if you check every day a bargain will come up
    Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.5TDI 163 Sport
    Full Interior Lighting Pack - Puddle Lights, Footwell Lights, Door Markers, Handle Ambient Lights, Air Vent Illumination, Armrest Illumination, Roof Ambient Lights. Auto Dim Rear View Mirror, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Genuine 6 Disc CD Changer in Glovebox, RNSE, Remote Windows, Parrot Bluetooth, Storage Pack, Full Leather, Heated Mirrors.

1st Gear

Status
    I have a MFSW so i should be good to go i hope.

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by VagCabby View Post
    If you don't have the right steering wheel control module for cruise search eBay, I have just fitted cruise to my cab and managed to snap up a Q module with cruise stalk for £20 with £5 delivery, if you check every day a bargain will come up
    Now that is what I call a bargain fella, saved yourself around £180. Very happy days indeed :-)

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannykn9 View Post
    Now that is what I call a bargain fella, saved yourself around £180. Very happy days indeed :-)
    I know, most modules on eBay are £80+ this breaker has loads of modules all the the same price, mainly R and S modules. I was looking every day for a cruise module to come up u. Went on, click most recent and two popped up listed 10 mins ago. I snapped one up and within 20mins the other had sold aswell lol both on buy it now for £25 delivered with stalks
    Audi A4 Cabriolet 2.5TDI 163 Sport
    Full Interior Lighting Pack - Puddle Lights, Footwell Lights, Door Markers, Handle Ambient Lights, Air Vent Illumination, Armrest Illumination, Roof Ambient Lights. Auto Dim Rear View Mirror, Cruise Control, Full DIS, Genuine 6 Disc CD Changer in Glovebox, RNSE, Remote Windows, Parrot Bluetooth, Storage Pack, Full Leather, Heated Mirrors.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi all,

So I have just retrofitted DIS and cruise control and all is working as it should, I just need to ground the wire to stop the washer bottle empty warning appearing.

I removed the blue plug from the intstrument cluster and there is already a wire in pin 1 as expected. So as I read it, most people just splice into this wire and then ground the other end?

I was wondering though, where does this wire go, would it already be routed into the engine bay and be an easy job to fit the washer sensor? I havent had chance to try and trace where the wire goes yet, just wondered if anyone knew?
    2007 "57" A4 Avant 2.0TDI S-line 170

1st Gear

Status
    Im glad this has come up again, Im off for two weeks after this week so im going to do mine as well and im also keen to know what Pete has asked.

4th Gear

Status

I haven't got mfsw but could be tempted with one as I want to install dis and possibly cruise. Could someone please list the part numbers of the correct modules

Thank you
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

Now have genuine VCDS in North Norfolk

Reverse Gear

Status
    This link has details of what different steering wheel modules support:-

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...trofitting_(8E)

You would need a midline or highline part to support mfsw & cruise.

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Penninepete1 View Post
    Hi all,

So I have just retrofitted DIS and cruise control and all is working as it should, I just need to ground the wire to stop the washer bottle empty warning appearing.

I removed the blue plug from the intstrument cluster and there is already a wire in pin 1 as expected. So as I read it, most people just splice into this wire and then ground the other end?

I was wondering though, where does this wire go, would it already be routed into the engine bay and be an easy job to fit the washer sensor? I havent had chance to try and trace where the wire goes yet, just wondered if anyone knew?
    Yes mate, splice into wire from pin 1, then the other end you just need to ground to the chassis, so just wrap the wire around a bolt. There is one to the left of the steering column.

4th Gear

Status

Quote Originally Posted by Penninepete1 View Post
    This link has details of what different steering wheel modules support:-

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index...trofitting_(8E)

You would need a midline or highline part to support mfsw & cruise.
    Nice one thanks
    Dolphin Grey 2005 3.2fsi Quattro 6-speed manual A4 Avant S-line, Two tone Leather, Pipercross panel filter, Genuine RS6 style 18" Alloys, Cupra R Lip, Piranha Grooved and dimpled Brakes, Eibach 30mm springs, B5 Front Cups, Rs4 RARB, HEL Braided Brake Hoses, Engine covers, Rs4 Grill, Rs4 style fog grills, Lamin-x'd head, fog and tail lights, Adaptive Xenons, Q5 rear wiper, S4 spring clips, Heated Passat Washer jets, DIS and cruise control

4th Gear

Status
    Just purchased this, 2005 AUDI A4 2.0 TURBO WIPER & INDICATOR STALK, CRUISE CONTROL 4E0953503B | eBay which I assume is correct for mfsw and cruise. And i ordered an Avant stalk as the one included is for a saloon. (so will have a spare saloon stalk if anyone's interested). Also this wheel AUDI 2008 A4 B7 S LINE SPECIAL EDITION STEERING WHEEL WITH 2 TONE GREY LEATHER | eBay which looks the same as mine just with multi function. So hoping the airbag is the same??? When fitting do you have to use vagcom at the same time? Or can I have the parts fitted the coded a few days later? Thanks

1st Gear

Status
    I did my DIS stalk yesterday and the only thing that was a little fiddly was splicing into the wire at the back of the cluster or at least it was for me being over 6ft upside down in the footwell with the clutch pedal against my head lol!!

2nd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow ESD1711 On Twitter Visit ESD1711's Instagram Channel
    I've got a DIS stalk and cruise ordered up for mine at the moment, should all arrive any day now.

I'm just wondering though - how much more cost / effort is it to go the whole hog and do it properly with the washer sensor fitted?

I'm guessing that seeing as most folk seem to just bypass it then its either costly or fiddly or just not worth the effort......??

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by rizzini7 View Post
    Just purchased this, 2005 AUDI A4 2.0 TURBO WIPER & INDICATOR STALK, CRUISE CONTROL 4E0953503B | eBay which I assume is correct for mfsw and cruise. And i ordered an Avant stalk as the one included is for a saloon. (so will have a spare saloon stalk if anyone's interested). Also this wheel AUDI 2008 A4 B7 S LINE SPECIAL EDITION STEERING WHEEL WITH 2 TONE GREY LEATHER | eBay which looks the same as mine just with multi function. So hoping the airbag is the same??? When fitting do you have to use vagcom at the same time? Or can I have the parts fitted the coded a few days later? Thanks
    I fitted mine and drove around for about 4 days without any problems, Ive read that some cars the ESP doesnt work until you code it, but not the case with mine!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ESD1711 View Post
    I've got a DIS stalk and cruise ordered up for mine at the moment, should all arrive any day now.

I'm just wondering though - how much more cost / effort is it to go the whole hog and do it properly with the washer sensor fitted?

I'm guessing that seeing as most folk seem to just bypass it then its either costly or fiddly or just not worth the effort......??
    I dont think its expensive for the parts, around £17 I read on another thread somewhere. Its passing a wire through the bulkhead to the washer bottle that I would think is the fiddly bit.

I always carry a small bottle of washer fluid in the car anyway and my "sensor" is when I pull on the stalk and nothing comes out!!

1st Gear

Status
    Is there not a plug in the engine bay for the tank? As i've just got myself a new one with sensor in it.
    Audi A4 (B7) 2.0TDi S-Line Avant Quattro - Steve Edition in Lava Grey
    BBS Wheels|arm rest|ambipur|345mm S4 brakes|PiperX panel filter|cupra R splitter|Greenstuff Pads|Retrofit Cruise control/DIS|Retrofit Audi Phone|Dension iPod|

Full VCDS equipped for the Moray area

4th Gear

Status
    Got a spare saloon stalk if anyone wants one. £34 posted and paypalled which is what it owes me
    Last edited by rizzini7; 8th April 2013 at 22:59.

1st Gear

Status
    Just ordered my cruise stalk and trim, so I'm hoping this is even easier than the dis stalk because I don't need to do any wiring just programming.

4th Gear

Status
    Right I've got avant dis stalk, cruise stalk, mfsw and new steering ecu. Is that all that is needed? As I saw some threads on about new slip ring and some new ecu?? Gonna try cutting old trim (have a spare in case)

I HAVE THE OPTION CODES

Status
    Hi, I bought the wrong DIS stalk I need avant one and I bought the saloon 😡

Just listed it for sale in classifieds or swap also the cowl I bought is not for cruise 😡😡😡

Was not a good day on the Bay for me was it lol

Anyone help out ?

Si

1st Gear

Status
    I did exactly the same on the stalk lol!! I wondered why it was so cheap. Once u have right parts it's easy mate. Just make sure your clutch switch (common problem) is working.

I HAVE THE OPTION CODES

Status
    I did exactly the same on the stalk lol!! I wondered why it was so cheap. Once u have right parts it's easy mate. Just make sure your clutch switch (common problem) is working.
    Ok cool keep any eye out for me mate if you see one 😃😃

"Cruise My Ride"

Status
    Guys, I may have a couple of the avant dis stalks next week. PM me if interested.

Cheers

I HAVE THE OPTION CODES

Status
    Mine Arrived Saturday 😃😃 many thanks mate.

All I gotta do now is get it fitted along with my cruise 😃

I have a saloon dis stalk for sale if anyone interested

Si

I HAVE THE OPTION CODES

Status
    Hi all, if I fit the cruise switch and DIS stalk this weekend will my car still work ok until I can get the new parts coded in?

Just thinking that you can't fit new bits as it may disable something on the car until it's coded

Thanks

Si