It made a hole

Richie2K

Reaction score
Hey,

First off I'm not technical so apologies for non technical jargon. :)

I have an 05 B7 Audi A4 2L TFSi

Right to cut a long story short my Oil Pressure light came on and not long after my car
stalled. AA turned up to take me home. Oil all over road but not totally drained.

Get back and there's a hole in what I thought was the engine block, ah ...

Get a self taught friend over who is a dab hand and we work out that its not the engine
as such but a casing which houses what we now know the Cam Chain Tensioner (again
excuse my technical names etc).

The chain had gone but where the hole is we could see one of the Cogs which the chain
should be wrapped around. Anyway ... he goes about taking things apart, first removing
the rocker cover to asses the damage (only by sight for obvious damage) yes we accept
there maybe more damage elsewhere but from his experience with engines he said it all
looked ok.

Obviously through all this and still now I'm praying she'll be ok :s

Right .. so with that he takes off this rear housing (the bit with the hole in it) off to asses
the damage in there (was a bit of a pain to remove but tis done now). Oh, we dropped a
screwdriver bit through to the floor pan (which we got back) and whilst retrieving it found
the Cam Chain, with a break in it ofc. So we take the back piece off and the Tensioner
plastic part had shattered, in bits, lots of them. One of the cogs, the one on the left as
you look at it, I think its the Exhaust something, has some damaged teeth.

Right so my question is, I'm hoping and yes really really praying that I can change the
damaged parts and all will be ok. I've feared the worst and been to hell and back a million
times today.

From how we see it I need, a Cam Chain Tensioner, a Cam Chain, a new Cog bit. and the
casing this all sits in.

It is my intention to call Audi tomz and get these bits ordered (if I can) but I'm going in
a bit blind. I'm gonna have to call them as I'm not close to an Audi dealer at the moment
and am car less :( but I will be as there's one near my work.

What should I be asking for is the long and short of it

Any help or advise would be more than helpful and I thank you in advance

it comes as a kit around £400+
notthe cog tho might sell that on its own

Thanks for the quick reply

What about the metal casing? I was shocked by the hole but that chain must have been thrown out of it at some force.

they should be ok
as the cam belt will keep them in line hopefully
in the kit you get the caseing and adjuster
then chain
but sprocket i dont know as never bought 1

I priced up a chain at £150 + vat not sure about the rest. Hope you manage to sort it, think I better do mine, been worried about it for a while now.

He did say something about all the 'somethings' (can't remember what word) are down when he took the rocker off which he said
was a good sign

But did make it clear we might still need a miracle

I'll see if I can upload some pics from earlier

has he checked the belt
to make sure it didnt strip the teeth ?
if it has then its a head off job

He checked all the Cam Belt etc and all is fine. The Cam belt was changed earlier this year.

you may be lucky
fingers crossed

Oops sorry I read cam chain in the op. Are we talking about oil pump drive chain?

cam chain tensioner its at the rear of the engine on the 2.0 T

Not Oil chain, Cam chain as Bez pointed out ... sorry about my poor description

Hole1

was it sounding like a derv b4 it went
they usaly do

Oh god yeah, thats the part where I slowed right down just before it stalled. Not that I was going anywhere near fast anyway.

Like hundreds of drawing pins in a quality street tin being shaken like a gudun

Oh god yeah, thats the part where I slowed right down just before it stalled. Not that I was going anywhere near fast anyway.

Like hundreds of drawing pins in a quality street tin being shaken like a gudun

They sound quite tappy any way don't they, was it noticeably louder before hand or was it just before it snapped that it got louder?

Never been the quietest of engines since I've had it ... got real loud before it snapped, like you said like someone revving the balls off an older diesel

Last pic I have, the cog which is missing a few teeth ...... You wouldn't believe how much I'm praying and potentially thankful it didn't do even more destruction

Cog1

Last pic I have, the cog which is missing a few teeth ...... You wouldn't believe how much I'm praying and potentially thankful it didn't do even more destruction

View attachment 7374
i hope it hasn't done any more damage, I'm gonna price up all the parts at work 2moz, I'll post the prices if I haven't seen you post mate

Thanks you're a legend ... that metal casing is the bit I'm worrying about most. Oh yeah and potentially any further damage deeper down.

Any idea what it's called?

Thanks you're a legend ... that metal casing is the bit I'm worrying about most. Oh yeah and potentially any further damage deeper down.

Any idea what it's called?
think its just the bell housing, I can't imagine it will be cheap, I'll see if I can price that up aswell, work for skoda, so they tend to do me well in parts

last 1 i got was around 400+
thats without chain

Hundreds is a hell of a lot better than thousands ,... fingers crossed

oh dear. seen and fixed these twice now on the 2.0l fsi "awa" engines. your not guna like it, but both times all/some of the inlet vaves were bent head off.

:( Like I said all I can do is pray ... otherwise I'm guessing its a new engine job?

Wouldnt it be better if you rebuild it then get a new engine? As it may happen again with the another engine.

Whatever comes cheapest atm, times are hard but I need my car

Out of interest, what is your engine code and at what mileage did this occur?

I'm looking at doing this repair mine is just starting to rattle when cold. Wonder if my warranty will cover it. Oh that'll be a no as it covers sweet f a lol