Weak suspension uprights?

g00se

Reaction score
has anyone had problems with the alloy uprights breaking at the pinch-bolt?

my drivers side has just snapped (needs a new upright and wheel bearing now), and it looks like the passenger side is starting to fracture too.

happy friday

goose

Last edited:
They are usually a robust item. They can however become weak if the pinch bolt is removed using great force of heat.

I had 2 seized bolts in my front suspension setup which became apparent when I had my springs changed. I've got a feeling the mechanic said they were pinch bolts but I'm not 100%. Apparently they (whatever they are called) are made of steel rather than aluminium as the suspension arm and as such they often seize. Not sure about weakening of them though?

For reference they were several inches long and partially threaded. One on each side at the top of the suspension arm...

I had 2 seized bolts in my front suspension setup which became apparent when I had my springs changed. I've got a feeling the mechanic said they were pinch bolts but I'm not 100%. Apparently they (whatever they are called) are made of steel rather than aluminium as the suspension arm and as such they often seize. Not sure about weakening of them though?

For reference they were several inches long and partially threaded. One on each side at the top of the suspension arm...

Those bolts are the pinch bolts.

heres a piccie i "borrowed" from audizine... my strut broke exactly at the point of the left-hand arrow:-

brokenstrut.png

i think audi made struts from steel and alloy, but must have decided to put the alloy ones on the V8's to save front end weight?

goose

Thats not ideal, i can source you a set of alloy uprights from a b5 rs4 if needed.

The b5 rs4 has alloy uprights, and all b6/b7's have them.

The steel upright was mainly on the b5 chassis (a4/s4)

Guys I think this is where people may be going wrong. On the official workshop manual ELSAWIN it states that these slots are not for prying and should not be spread under any circumstances. This may be weakening the top section.
When I separated mine it took several days of soaking and working the bolt to remove it, also didn't use any heat. It then took several more days to remove the ball joints from the arm. Rebuilt with plenty of Rocol Anti Seize Compound to aid easy release next time.

Guys I think this is where people may be going wrong. On the official workshop manual ELSAWIN it states that these slots are not for prying and should not be spread under any circumstances. This may be weakening the top section.
When I separated mine it took several days of soaking and working the bolt to remove it, also didn't use any heat. It then took several more days to remove the ball joints from the arm. Rebuilt with plenty of Rocol Anti Seize Compound to aid easy release next time.

just to be clear.. i borrowed that photo. i didnt put the text on the pic, nor would i recomend prying the pinch-bolt!

i used that photo just to illustrate exactly where my strut fractured and snapped ;)

cheers
goose

ps. drivers side was replaced on Friday, am waiting for the bill to see if i can get the passenger side done before ADI on Sat!! Do not fancy hammering round a clockwise Castle Combe if the PAX side suspension is weak :ohmy:

Last edited: