Going to need a clutch after mapping!

carl-1968

A4 sold, lots of bits available, ask for details
Reaction score
Just got back from work and seems like the clutch is in need of replacing due to power upgrade, any suggestions are welcome but will need it quick before ADI :)

When did you have the remap done? This is the onlu thing stopping me from getting a remap as I also have a manual.

Just got back from work and seems like the clutch is in need of replacing due to power upgrade, any suggestions are welcome but will need it quick before ADI :)

I'd suggest getting rid of the old diesel shed and get something with a decent engine!!

It's all about performance combined with economy... better performance than an S4 with twice the MPG, who's winning?[/QUOTE]

He's right, TDI power is the way forward, would never go back to petrol after having my 3.0TDI tuned.

Hasn't the 3.0TDI already got the RS4 clutch fitted? Thats what I've heard anyway, it produces more torque than an RS4 on standard tune so I wouldn't be too surprised if it did.

I've heard that, on more than one occasion. Could ring Audi and get then to check part numbers for RS4 & 3.0tdi clutches... report back!

It's all about performance combined with economy... better performance than an S4 with twice the MPG, who's winning?

He's right, TDI power is the way forward, would never go back to petrol after having my 3.0TDI tuned.[/QUOTE]

Another deluded diesel driver! Just to enlighten you all, I work with the OP and was hoping he'd reply but he's obviously broke down somewhere!
On a serious note any Audi tdi, with the exception of the new bi turbo lump would take some tuning to give better performance than a standard S4, and don't forget V6 lump in the S4 is also very tuneable. MPG wise - diesel wins but if driven hard the gap may not be as large as some people think.

It's been said many times that a Stage 1 remapped 3.0tdi keeps pace with an S4, and 35mpg when cruising

No chance, we'll agree to disagree until we see some evidence. I also see well over 30 mpg when cruising, around the doors is not so good!

It's a different kind of power from a diesel. Petrol is about BHP & diesel is about Torque. And a petrol will always be quicker off the line as us TDI boys rely on our turbos!

Be interesting to see an B7 S4 vs a B7 3.0tdi and see what the outcome was, drag-strip best of 3!

There would obviously be no comparison between the newer S4 V6 supercharged, you can see around 444bhp out of them with a remap. I was on about the old 4.2 lump in the B7. My 3.0 TDI will stick with dads S4 cab when cruising, but obviously not stick with it from the lights, mid range it will keep up with it no problem, and on a like for like run the S4 will do 22pmg, where as my TDI will do around 35mpg. Lets not get into an argument here, was only a clutch question, but don't have a pop at diesel until you try it, you will be surprised.

Nice to see lots of banter lol, here's an update, went to see the local Audi dealer's very helpful parts man ( we are now on 1st name terms) and discussed all the options available, turns out the 3.0 Quattro has the identical part numbers so good news, then told him what torque it's putting out and he sort of puffed out his cheeks and said you're going to need something a bit more man for the job, so looked at RS4 and has the same part for the plate (all 240mm) but has different part for the cover, so not so good, so left that and called a few aftermarket suppliers and found a stage 3 paddle clutch available which was the problem with the others "yes we can get but not for x amount of days" so no good to me, anyways im calling him back in a bit to arrange delivery, sod the cost I'm going to ADI!!!, and for those asking the map was done last weekend and car is pulling now like it was with Nitrous, so hows it going to pull when I put the gas on?, guess you will find out at ADI, as I pass by lol

i agree iv had big power dervs
but you have to rember 1 thing its still a derv and thats the reason i dont like them
i do run 2 but only for the 1k + miles a week i do

If we're mixing different generations it's hardly a fair fight now is it... agreed a new S4 would be far better than the 3.0tdi Diesel, as would the B7 RS4??

This was posted in the B7 section after-all. And an un-provoked attack on Diesels warrants a come-back atleast :box:

Guess im too busy to watch the forums all day Paul!, but no doubt your new S4 is very smart and although it maybe petrol ( I can overlook that ) If you want to give it away I'd be happy to take it off your hands lol, btw are you staying in the office until the end, or yourself and the rest going to come and do some propper work? Lol

If we're mixing different generations it's hardly a fair fight now is it... agreed a new S4 would be far better than the 3.0tdi Diesel, as would the B7 RS4??

This was posted in the B7 section after-all. And an un-provoked attack on Diesels warrants a come-back atleast :box:

Just having a bit of crack, no offence intended, I'm a car nut and to be honest if it goes fast it doesn't matter what's under the bonnet. I also appreciate the work that goes in to improve already great cars and if the better half would let me I'd love to do some work on mine but alas she's the boss!

Guess im too busy to watch the forums all day Paul!, but no doubt your new S4 is very smart and although it maybe petrol ( I can overlook that ) If you want to give it away I'd be happy to take it off your hands lol, btw are you staying in the office until the end, or yourself and the rest going to come and do some propper work? Lol

You get first dibs if I do give it away! I'm back offshore next week to do some proper work but after that is anyone's guess.
You'll be after a few days to pay for this clutch so I may see you.

No doubt!, i have not asked the cost yet but need it regardless, got 3 events this month, ADI followed by Shakespear county raceway with Morgan and his supercharged Jensen, then up against The hampster in his TT at Tewksbury so clutch and tyres this month!!, I'll be back to work on 23rd, ugh!

No doubt!, i have not asked the cost yet but need it regardless, got 3 events this month, ADI followed by Shakespear county raceway with Morgan and his supercharged Jensen, then up against The hampster in his TT at Tewksbury so clutch and tyres this month!!, I'll be back to work on 23rd, ugh!

Sounds like a great leave.

Clutch ordered, £500 + vat, stage 3 paddle inc delivery, hope it does the job!

Probably too late, I bought my clutch and single mass flywheel conversion from Mardi Gras motersport at silverstone. Its helix, and its a work of art. My car is only a 130pd remapped. Total cost of around 850, but next replacement friction plate should only be around 140. They also mix and match depending on what you need.

I must say its awesome though, no slipping whatso ever, and thats just an organic road plate im using.

Cannot help as I only drive manuals :), sorry

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349891643776618

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349891657675458

Should do the job :)

Can you (and is it worth doing) upgrade torque converters in autos??

My mate fitted a higher stall T/C to his V6 Auto and it made no difference. The idea was to let the engine get higher into the rev range for more power before the T/C locked up.

In the end it wasn't worth the hassle in doing it.

As mine is a manual, im hopeing that this will stop slippage in higher gears when accellerating and also allows more power to be transfered to the wheels, i already have bigger wheels and wider tyres ready for this
:)

Doh!, new DMFW needed, old one is toast!,
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1349983399088656

Got a few photos to post so will try later on

Having tapatalk trouble again, cannot seem to post any pics?