Wheels - width and offset question!

Simon

Reaction score
I brought a set of genuine 19" speedlines advertised as 8.5j et48 with 235/45/19 tyres, of which two were at the legal limit.

I picked them up, checked that they weren't bent or cracked stuck them in the car and got home and put them straight in the garage.

FFWD to last night when I thought I would double check the width and offset before ordering a set of spacers ready to get the wheels centres painted and found that they are actually a 19x9j et33 wheel with 255/40/19 tyres.

My car is an 06 Quattro Saloon (3.2 if that makes a difference) S-Line so the questions are

I know that et33 should work, but with the width being 9" is that too much?
assuing that the rim width and offset work what size tyre do I need?

Thanks in advance!

Simon

Last edited:
With the 3.0tdi you need atleast ET40 to clear the brake calipers, not sure if that will be the same on the 3.0 petrol but I'm guessing you'd have the bigger brakes also. a 5mm spacer and ET33 would give ET28... which might stick out of your arches. Probably be best off using a slightly stretched tyre to avoid rubbing on the arches.

Hopefully someone with some 9j rims will be along soon to give you some definate input. Is your car lowered at all?? That might make a difference to what is suitable if it's a close-call

225/40/19 on a 9j rim is a reasonable stretch... I have 235/35/19 on an 8.5 and it's got a slight stretch. They don't sound like the 'correct' tyres for those rims...

just edited my post to say the current tyres on the wheels are 255/40 not 225!

oh and at the moment I am on standard S-line suspension, possibly going to change to the b5 perch at the front but I swore I wouldn't modify this one....

That sound a bit wide to me... I thought 245 was a reasonable limit for the B7 A4? I could be wrong though. Especially if you're going to keep it stock.

I swore I wouldn't modify this one....

Did you ever honestly believe that was going to happen? :whistle2:

Where abouts in Nottingham are you Simon? Going to ADI?

I'm in Cinderhill, no plans to go to ADI.

My last modifying outing cost me the best part of £20k and and ended up with a 450bhp RWD monster and three written off cars! This Audi is supposed to be my sensible choice while I save up for an Aston (or a Nissan GTR)

That sound a bit wide to me... I thought 245 was a reasonable limit for the B7 A4? I could be wrong though. Especially if you're going to keep it stock.

Did you ever honestly believe that was going to happen? :whistle2:

Where abouts in Nottingham are you Simon? Going to ADI?
I'm on 245/40 R 18 at ET 45 on my S line. 245/35 R 19 is less than 2mm larger radius and wouldn't foul on my wheels, but that offset might be an issue on the outside.

255/30 R 19 is a bit smaller diameter than my stock setup, but makes the wheels very vulnerable.