Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Cylinder Head / Head Gasket

Hi Guys,

Well looks like I may have the dreaded cracked head or at best a head gasket failure.

It has been using alot of coolant, stutters at certain rpm ~1400 -2000 every so often, poor starting and white smoke on some cool mornings!

Question I have got is did the BLB have the codes A, B and C as seen on the BKD engines, C being the more reliable.....

Thanks,

Chris

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    i though only the A3 seamed to be affected. I haven't heard about any A4's with cracked heads!

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhat View Post
    i though only the A3 seamed to be affected. I haven't heard about any A4's with cracked heads!
    I believe there was a batch of 2.0 tdi heads in The A6 range ( same engine codes as fitted in the A4 i think ?)that were/are notorious for going porous and hence giving the same symptoms as a cracked cylinder head.

1st Gear

Status
    How much coolant is it using?

I've got a 2007 170 and mine has always lost a header tank full each month. Gives a few white puffs when cold but goes when warm. Its had some green fluid stuff put in as an experiment to see if it stops - I actually think it may have worked but its early days yet.

Mine was stuttering and juddering badly and it turns out it was the fuel filter - the injector seals leaking oil into the fuel system - or something like that anyway.

Neutral

Status
    Alot of coolant to be honest, and it really struggles to turnover, I've checked the glowplugs and there fine. The garage are finally working on it today, the said it was a head gasket but I think its probably a cracked head, fingers crossed its just the gasket!

No idea how long its been like this for as its gradually got worse, changed the egr cooler pipe about 6 months ago, so it appears that was the start of the issues......

I think I'm gonna sell up after its fixed as I have no faith in German cars anymore!!!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul B7 View Post
    I believe there was a batch of 2.0 tdi heads in The A6 range ( same engine codes as fitted in the A4 i think ?)that were/are notorious for going porous and hence giving the same symptoms as a cracked cylinder head.
    Got any info on this Paul? As all my symptons are signs of a cracked head.....

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by eddscott View Post
    How much coolant is it using?

I've got a 2007 170 and mine has always lost a header tank full each month. Gives a few white puffs when cold but goes when warm. Its had some green fluid stuff put in as an experiment to see if it stops - I actually think it may have worked but its early days yet.

Mine was stuttering and juddering badly and it turns out it was the fuel filter - the injector seals leaking oil into the fuel system - or something like that anyway.
    when you say stuttering and juddering badly, at what points? When cranking? At certain rpm?

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisd1983 View Post
    Got any info on this Paul? As all my symptons are signs of a cracked head.....
    No sorry, only read this on a forum. Might be one to post on the A6 forum for a qualified response ?