poor starting

hubbo1

Reaction score
when the car is first started in the mornings it struggles a bit, i have put new glow plugs in and new fuel filter but still the same.
it only does this on the first start when cold,any other time it is fine. it is a 2.0 tdi.
any help would be appreciated
thanks

Have you had new injectors / loom fitted ?

Mine has been the same since having those

Mine had a poor start when using cheap diesel... flushed out the old stuff with quality fuel and treatment, been better ever since :)

Also you should press the clutch when starting for a better start (if yours is a manual).

when the car is first started in the mornings it struggles a bit, i have put new glow plugs in and new fuel filter but still the same.
it only does this on the first start when cold,any other time it is fine. it is a 2.0 tdi.
thanks

Worth testing your battery.
I suffered poor starting a little while back thought it may be Glow plugs. Put my CTEK battery conditioner on my battery to feed it some life but it came up (!) showing it was DEAD!

I purchased a new Bosch S4 battery for my A3 2.0 TDI and now it kicks over first time without any hesitation. Glow plugs got sent back.

Last edited:
Unrelated I know, but I have to press the clutch to start mine anyway??? Does everyone else??? Also mines a little slower starting now its turning cold. Hope you get it sorted mate

thanks

Whats the mileage, could be the coolant temp sensor as this tells the ECU what the temperature is and determines how long the glow plugs should stay on for...

Reactions: rizzini7
i have changed the fuel temp sensor, made no difference, so should i now change the coolant temp sensor?

Just heat the glowplugs twice. Key in, glowplug light out, turn off, key in, glowplug light off, start.

i have changed the fuel temp sensor, made no difference, so should i now change the coolant temp sensor?

Hubbo,

See page 34 in document below, the Engine Coolant Temp Sensor and Glow Plug relay dictate the glow plug duration. The fuel temp sensor does not seem to have anything to do with the glow plug system....

SSP_316 The 2.0 ltr TDI engine

thanks for that! new coolant temp sensor orderd!

Id be surprised if it were the coolant temp sensor as the temp reading doesnt get to operating temp (90) when its knackered and/or the heater doesnt get hot.

thanks for that! new coolant temp sensor orderd!

Hubbo, not saying that IS the fault but it does have an input to the glow plug glow duration.... it could also be a bad battery and I have come across the 2.0TDI's with a weak starter motor, leading to not enough RPM's to commence fuelling (However this problem occurs when the engine is warm)

yep i understand, no issues when car is warm, battery all good, its only the first start in the morning-will let you know when i have changed the sensor.

id say batt aswell.

ok, tested battery this morning-12.24 volts, with engine running was 14.56 volts, is 12.24 volts good or bad?

Sounds fine, battery may not be great in the CCA dept. thats why it turns over slow when its cold and fine when warmer. Can try cleaning terminals. Tdi engines pull more from a battery than petrols so need bigger batts. CCA = Cold Cranking Amps.

How old is the battery, has it done this since ownership? Check type and CCA.